• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Tombolini suits/jackets?

pkiula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
What I've generally found is that the "higher" up the construction chain you get, the more delicate the garment is. This may not suit all tastes.
You may be right. I've seen huge variety from Isaia, including super 100 fabric, but I suppose that's necessary in the highly competitive world of high end fashion as "Z Zegna" type of crap suggests. But fabrics of high end Zegna and Canali are right up there. Corneliani is in a lower league than those two, but I quite like their makes and pick them up during any sale. Isaia seems to use some great fabrics. But Zegna is no slacker either, their Lanificio trophies seem to be an industry leading gesture that Isaias of the world will take decades to replicate. That Zegna micron-thingamajig in the store felt quite amazing, but as you say it's not for me as I don't have the dough to invest in something I'd wear once a year
smile.gif
For me, while I appreciate the handiwork inside some higher end suits, it's a little less relevant *how* the suit was made than the ultimate look and fit *on me*. In this Zegna and Canali win for me, especially at their price points, which are already quite high. I'm several years away from a $30,000 MTM Kiton or Belvest. Back to the topic of Tombolini. Unlike the original posts in this thread, they are
  • Not all fused. Several are fully canvassed.
  • Many of their suits are fully hand made in Italy.
  • Fabrics have a range too. The lower end fused stuff has interesting but cheaper fabric. There was even a slim fit in linen, which looked quite smart and was $350 or so. But there was a 100% Lana merino with minimal padding (like Isaia, but the Lana may be from China instead of Australia) and a 100% cashmere suit that was more in the range of $1500 for the bolder fashion-forward man.
Basically, looking at the huge range, the minimal padding, the huge range of fabrics and psychedelic patterns, I would even venture to say that Tombolini may be poor man's Isaia...

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
You may be right. I've seen huge variety from Isaia, including super 100 fabric, but I suppose that's necessary in the highly competitive world of high end fashion as "Z Zegna" type of crap suggests.

I don't view Z Zegna as crap. Fused they may be yet the garment hold well and fit nicely with good fabric. Would not recommend at full price however at discount I will not hesitate to pick them up.

But fabrics of high end Zegna and Canali are right up there. Corneliani is in a lower league than those two, but I quite like their makes and pick them up during any sale.

In my view, the mainline Zegna is a slightly higher than mainline Canali and Corneliani (on par). Zegna Napoli Couture is on a different league, Canali Exclusive is very good and I would rate it on the same level as Corneliani Linea Sartoria line.
A bit off topic but Canali K line is my favorite
smile.gif

Isaia seems to use some great fabrics. But Zegna is no slacker either, their Lanificio trophies seem to be an industry leading gesture that Isaias of the world will take decades to replicate. That Zegna micron-thingamajig in the store felt quite amazing, but as you say it's not for me as I don't have the dough to invest in something I'd wear once a year
smile.gif

For me, while I appreciate the handiwork inside some higher end suits, it's a little less relevant *how* the suit was made than the ultimate look and fit *on me*. In this Zegna and Canali win for me, especially at their price points, which are already quite high. I'm several years away from a $30,000 MTM Kiton or Belvest.

Back to the topic of Tombolini. Unlike the original posts in this thread, they are

• Not all fused. Several are fully canvassed.
  • Many of their suits are fully hand made in Italy.
  • Fabrics have a range too. The lower end fused stuff has interesting but cheaper fabric. There was even a slim fit in linen, which looked quite smart and was $350 or so. But there was a 100% Lana merino with minimal padding (like Isaia, but the Lana may be from China instead of Australia) and a 100% cashmere suit that was more in the range of $1500 for the bolder fashion-forward man.

Basically, looking at the huge range, the minimal padding, the huge range of fabrics and psychedelic patterns, I would even venture to say that Tombolini may be poor man's Isaia...

I have yet to see a fully canvassed Tombolini nonetheless I do agree that they have a good fit with interesting selection of fabrics and reasonable price.

Just my two cents...

saswilde

Reaction score
It's not as good as it looks. Your better off investing an extra 10, Euros on something that does fit.

zewill

Reaction score
Attempting to revive this thread once again. Saw quite a few tombolini jackets at the bay in montreal. They are down from 1000$ to 300$. Sure, no one would pay full price for those.. but at 300$... I think it's quarter lined, seems to be fused tho you can see the black fusing. Might be worth the price. Need a slight tapering on the sides but the jacket fits quite well. Wouldhave loved to get their super light jacket but only one left and wrong size (and still overpriced). Any advice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads