• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Speakers, what do you keep your notes/ papers in?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so here's my situation. I do a lot of public speaking, meetings, conventions, etc., and I can't seem to find any kind of binder to keep my notes together that I actually like and that I find somewhat stylish. What have you guys found that works for you? Preferably in leather, and no glossy sleeves as these always reflect weird under flouresant lighting.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use circa leather folios and binders from Levenger whenever I'm presenting.

They used to make one with index card sized sheets which I used a lot when presenting design presentations without a podium. However, they no longer make that size and my eyesight now requires extra large type anyway :embar: so I've moved up to using the full sized most of the time. I rarely speak with a podium or such but I imagine these would work well in this situation.

You can buy a punch from Levenger to make any paper you choose suitable for the Circa system. I've used these products for about 20 years and they work!

www.levenger.com

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theodore Roosevelt kept his notes folded over inside his breast pocket. This saved his life when an assassin shot him in the chest. The folded over papers slowed down the bullet enough that it failed to penetrate enough to inflict a fatal wound. The assassin was using a Colt Police Positive revolver chambering the low-powered .38 S&W cartridge.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I've always felt that this speaks more to the assassins dedication than Roosevelt's good fortune.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iPad or MacBook Pro... seriously who keeps notes for meetings... it's all powepoint these days. At least in my field.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of these are good suggestions - but they wouldn't work for my style of presentation.

Yes - there is usually a power point going while a presentation is being made. But NOBODY wants to have a power point read to them verbatim while it scrolls in front of them. It's the most coma inducing experience one can imagine.

A good power point contains the KEY concepts about which I might be speaking - but I still might use printed speaking point notes that relate to the power point but contain information that is not actually included as part of it.

Particularly in my field in which I am presenting complex architectural planning concepts via visuals/diagrams on the powepoint and I'm explaining the technical or detailed aspects of the plans verbally.

So - each of us in our individual fields will have different needs. The OP did specifically ask about how to handle his paper notes, after all. Any other interesting ideas in that regard? :fonz:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use a teleprompter, always looks more professional than fumbling around with papers.

iPad or MacBook Pro... seriously who keeps notes for meetings... it's all powepoint these days. At least in my field.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is preferable to have them on paper which can go in an inner coat pocket. If you have your suits made then think about the size and position of the pocket you need. If not then left in breast.

Carrying any sort of folio is simply an encumbrance you do not need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads