• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Suits Recalled

nelly

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but I had read some rumors that BB recalled their entire line of GF suits for potential quality issues (it's their highest quality line).

I just spoke with a BB customer service representative on the phone and she confirmed that this is the case and the reason why you can no longer find GF suits online. She did mention that this a recall affecting recent GF releases and suits purchased from early 2011 should be fine.

I have two takeaways:
1) If you recently purchased a GF suit, you might go back to the store and ask if yours is defective or if you can get a retroactive discount.
2) There might be some decent GF suits hitting the outlet stores soon.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but I had read some rumors that BB recalled their entire line of GF suits for potential quality issues (it's their highest quality line).
I just spoke with a BB customer service representative on the phone and she confirmed that this is the case and the reason why you can no longer find GF suits online. She did mention that this a recall affecting recent GF releases and suits purchased from early 2011 should be fine.
I have two takeaways:
1) If you recently purchased a GF suit, you might go back to the store and ask if yours is defective or if you can get a retroactive discount.
2) There might be some decent GF suits hitting the outlet stores soon.

huh? what's the problem...................will the airbag deploy prematurely??

How do you recall a suit?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing some kind of quality issue?

It could be anything from the cloth not being treated properly, canvasses having mould spores on them, an overlocker not fastening threads properly. Literally anything could happen.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
relabel as 'silver fleece' and redirect them to the discounters. That's the plan right?

nelly

Reaction score
This is a quote from AskAndy, the source of the original rumor:

"Brooks employed Martin Greenfield to manufacture a high amount of the suiting. After review, Greenfield has been tinkering with his manufacturing lowering the quality of the goods. Del Vecchio became very unimpressed and in fact Greenfield is now in dispute with the company. The new Golden Fleece suiting will all be made in Southwick and some of the garments continuously made in Italy. "

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably more contract dispute than anything. Although Martin Greenfield stuff for BB was sucking. There was a entire production line of GF suits with the vents f'd up. I had an MTM that they did a pretty poor job of. boo

Although they need to get Southwick up to par. The stuff they churn out is pretty crappy at times.

No bueno when you have 2 suits of the same size in the same cut and they fit drastically different.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they go to Southwick for their GF line? :confused:

Sigh, looks like we have to change the suit hierarchy thread.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would they go to Southwick for their GF line? :confused:
Sigh, looks like we have to change the suit hierarchy thread.

I had a Southwick produced BBBF patch pocket blazer that was very nice. I'md not sure if it was as nice as my Greenfield produced GF blazer, but it was much nicer than the standard 1818 stuff.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a Southwick produced BBBF patch pocket blazer that was very nice. I'md not sure if it was as nice as my Greenfield produced GF blazer, but it was much nicer than the standard 1818 stuff.

Hmmm I need to do some research on Southwick it would seem.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a look at the Fitzgerald fit GF suits, or any of the USA made Black Fleece suits. Those seem to be as good as Southwick can produce right now. The Black Fleece suits aren't as nice as the old made in Italy suits from 2007 though.

dks202

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with Southwick. It's right up there with Hickey Freeman and H. Freeman & Son quality. Southwick has been around a long time, mainly in men's specialty stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads