• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problem with muscle definition

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
But until I plateau, perhaps it's not worth the effort for slight improvement and I should just concentrate on form, nutrition, and other well-established aspects?

You got it. Just lift the weight and get stronger. When you stop getting stronger, you can reevaluate your training.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Not every forum can have a designer like j.
smile.gif
I admit I didn't understand all of what I skimmed through there. Personally, I take that as a symptom that exercise is still more art than science: there are partial theories and significant but mostly "unscientific" data. So if I want to figure out the optimal way to exercise, I need to read a bunch and synthesize an answer using my best judgement. But until I plateau, perhaps it's not worth the effort for slight improvement and I should just concentrate on form, nutrition, and other well-established aspects?

The only exercise programs that have seen that seem to have some sort of significant scientific support is hypertrophy specific training. See http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/articles.html http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst1.htm

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
Alphonso Soriano is 6' and around 165 and I'd say he's pretty damn strong.

he's not 165. espn's player card has him at 180, and he is probably 185 or 190. i know that mccarver mentioned he was 165 at the AS game, but I think the 165 is the weight he came up at, with the yankees and it never got corrected in mccarver's brain.

wilt chamberlain went through the same thing - the player cards kept listing his weight in the mid-200's, even though by the end of his career he had weightlifted his way up to the high 200's and low 300's.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
he's not 165. espn's player card has him at 180, and he is probably 185 or 190. i know that mccarver mentioned he was 165 at the AS game, but I think the 165 is the weight he came up at, with the yankees and it never got corrected in mccarver's brain.

wilt chamberlain went through the same thing - the player cards kept listing his weight in the mid-200's, even though by the end of his career he had weightlifted his way up to the high 200's and low 300's.

That makes sense. Watching the Cubs-Giants game yesterday, I was thinking there's no way in hell dude only weighs 160s.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
The only exercise programs that have seen that seem to have some sort of significant scientific support is hypertrophy specific training.

Then you have not seen very many exercise programs.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice gentleman.

I'm in no way a skinny person, I have a large skeletal frame (for an asian) and I have been lifting for 2 years. However, I have never taken muscle supplements before, but my current look is pretty similar to Soriano, I can bench my own weight.

Anyways, in the last couple of months, have been doing a lot of cardio together with my usual weightlifting workout. Diet is 5 meals a day, mostly brown rice, whole wheat bread, fish, tofu, veggies, eggs, some lean meat. I'm following this regime where I take about 2500 cals and make sure I work off 500-600 cals daily.

My weight is now 170, however overall my back, chest, arms and legs have become alot more defined (I'm pretty close to getting the "bicep vein") and I have dropped an inch in the waist. My guess is the fat has been converted to muscle.

My aim is not to bulk, but rather stay around my current weight with more definition. Think a swimmer or kickboxer body. Also it would be nice if my glutes and hams don't get any bigger, since I wear alot of skinny pants.

Maharaja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
My guess is that there's very little fat on your shoulders (who's got fat shoulders at 6' 165lbs.?). Are you on a creatine supplement? If not, start. Along with increasing performance in the gym, it'll keep you "pumped" for longer afterwards, sometimes even carrying into the next day. Also, fix any problems with your post-workout meal.

this is a horrible piece of advice!

you dont specify NOT to use creatine monohydrate, OR ethyl ester

instead of using creatine which has the tendency to re-precipitate in the liver and kidneys after multiple cycles USE KRE ALKALYN...it has the benefits of creatine without the side effects

but chances are that if your the height and weight you say you are, it would be way easy for you to get toned up

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Jared is probably right for most people--it's hard to be very strong at 165. I know, I'm right around 165, and despite a lot of training, I could be a lot stronger. BUT it depends a lot on how you train, what your frame is, etc. 165 is, what, super middleweight in boxing? I guarantee you that a boxer whose fighting weight is 165 is strong as hell by any vaguely reasonable standard.
sauce, you're correct 165 is super middleweight in boxing (161-168) and is welterweight in mma (155-170). HOWEVER... every boxer cuts weight to fight. this means dropping up to 20 pounds of mostly water weight, depending on the weight class. this means, for let's say, super-middleweight, you have people who are already cut and strong at 185-190, dropping down in weight to about 168.5 for the weigh-in. then over the next day, they re-hydrate and pack on up to 20 pounds of weight in food and water. comparing flame to a professional prize-fighter (let alone professional athlete) is a little unfair. he lacks the years of sports-specific training and probably genetics (like most of us). it takes decades to develop the strength of someone like matt hughes who fights at 170. to flame: please, don't fool yourself. benching your own weight is not strong. benching twice your weight is strong. also, fat doesn't "convert" to muscle. but, sounds like you're doing better, so congrats!

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharaja
this is a horrible piece of advice!

you dont specify NOT to use creatine monohydrate, OR ethyl ester

instead of using creatine which has the tendency to re-precipitate in the liver and kidneys after multiple cycles USE KRE ALKALYN...it has the benefits of creatine without the side effects

but chances are that if your the height and weight you say you are, it would be way easy for you to get toned up

Who are you? What side effects? Get the **** out.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miz - thanks for the advice.

How would you go about gaining muscle mass (and dropping fat) without putting on much weight? Increasing the amount I can bench and squat is definately in my goals, but I don't want to appear massive since I'm quite satisfied with my current body frame.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame

How would you go about gaining muscle mass (and dropping fat) without putting on much weight? Increasing the amount I can bench and squat is definately in my goals, but I don't want to appear massive since I'm quite satisfied with my current body frame.

Unless you prep it will take years and years of hard training to become massive. So I wouldn't really worry about it. Just put yourself on a slightly +cal diet and do your best at the gym. It's way easier to gain and then go on a diet than try to do both at the same time.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
Unless you prep it will take years and years of hard training to become massive. So I wouldn't really worry about it. Just put yourself on a slightly +cal diet and do your best at the gym. It's way easier to gain and then go on a diet than try to do both at the same time.

+1. Cutting is always much, much easier than clean bulking.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame

do what nioh says, which is the common procedure.

it's not easy to get "massive", so i wouldn't worry about that problem.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
comparing flame to a professional prize-fighter (let alone professional athlete) is a little unfair. he lacks the years of sports-specific training and probably genetics (like most of us). it takes decades to develop the strength of someone like matt hughes who fights at 170.
Oh, of course. That's also why I mentioned that for most people, it really is difficult to be very strong at 165. I'm not, and I'm a pretty lean 165. I was just pointing out that weight isn't really a good indicator of strength. Even muscle mass isn't always a good indicator. I'm sure we've all seen guys at the gym who are pretty huge, but lift (relatively) little for their size, spending all their time doing isolation exercises and high reps. Which, are those guys just all on 'roids or something, or are they just genetically gifted? I can't gain **** if I sit around doing isolation exercises.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads