• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-shave oils

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I'm not sure which you're advocating here. Are you arguing in favor of washing your face before shaving?
Aye, but just a light washing. No crazy exfoliating, or heavy scrubbing; just water, mild soap/cleanser/whatever, and hands. I also advocate shaving after a nice hot shower where you soak your face with as much water as you can. That's also when you can use the pre-shave shave cream or conditioner soak, though I'm not entirely on board with conditioner, as most of them are just waxes and oils, thus counter productive to softening the beard. This initial application of as much water as possible is to soften the hairs, hence why warmer water is better. Because with true wet shaving the point is to get as much water on your face as you possibly can, and then hold it there with shaving lather. Hence method shaving, where people go to massive lengths to get the maximum amount of water with as few repellents (like oil) as possible. Course, i should probably condition all my advice with the fact that I'm using a DE or a straight, and that's an entirely different kettle of fish than a cartridge or even an Injector style razor.
Originally Posted by Brian278
But I wouldn't steer people away from it who are just starting out, because it has helped me.
That is a good point, since in most cases wet shaving is very user specific. For some oil works, for others it just clogs pores. However, with DE and straight razors technique is the most important thing, and with proper technique (for the most part, anyway), pre-shave treatments beyond a soak with hot water aren't needed. On the other hand, in some peoples cases once they have the technique down, a good pre-shave regimen can help boost their shave to a whole new level. So I suppose YMMV applies here in spades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads