• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-shave oil brand

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I want to echo the Avid SkinGlider comment made earlier. I've been using it and have been very happy with it. Small size, lasts a good time, and it's only $7 or so at ME. I'd recommend it.

LWF

Reaction score
Check out emsplace.com for high quality shaving oil and other shaving supplies, including brushes and razors.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Steve, it looks like you bought out Caswell-Massey!
If I only could buy grooming products form one place, it'd be Caswell-Massey. Very good products, and reasonably priced
smile.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use pre-shave oil in conjunction with a badger-hair brush and soap/cream? Doesn't the oil get washed away by the soap + brush action?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Taylor's of Old Bond Street pre-shave oil. Leave it on for 20 minutes then shave with their Sandalwood shaving soap and badger brushes.

phil47

Reaction score
Try a few drops of Corn Huskers Lotion massaged into wet skin before shaving. Very similar to using Trumper's Skin Food, but a lot cheaper. I don't find pre-shaves very helpful anymore though, after learning proper shave prep. and shaving techniques.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by solzhenitsyn
I've been using a drugstore brand pre-shave oil lately and I'm finding that it helps me get a closer shave. However, it has menthol in it which irritates my skin a bit. Would I be better off using something cheap like olive oil? Is it worth it to spend ~$20US on something from Art of Shaving?

Get an unscented brand. The Art of Shaving is good, however, some men find it to thicker than others. Consider these other brands Clarins, eShave or The Gentlemens Refinery... http://www.themensroom.com/shaving/b...e-shave-cream/

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Do you guys use pre-shave oil in conjunction with a badger-hair brush and soap/cream? Doesn't the oil get washed away by the soap + brush action?

The oil softens the beard. Makes it easier to cut. It's still soft after the soap is applied.

As important, if not more... is putting a hot wet towel on the face for awhile before soap. To go all out, do the towel, then oil, then soap.

Badger hair or any brush does NOT improve the shave. It's just more fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads