• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prague and Budapest 12/12-12/22, where to go/stay/eat?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got some tips from an eGullet member that's been living there for the past few years. Quotes are her words

By far the best restaurant I went to was this patissier:

If you happen to walk up in that
area, Vinohrady, or are up near the Jiriho z Podebrad or Namesti Miru
metro stops, there's a great chocolatier/patissier, Musso
http://www.musso-praha.com/EN/index_EN.htm...
They're at Italska 212/5:
http://www.mapy.cz/#x=133106334@y=13...9301_149899137
--The Literary Cafe (good for beer/drinks/marinated cheese, but not
many dinner options)

--Cafe Louvre (classic Prague cafe)

--Cafe Savoy (a bit touristy, but very nice nonetheless)

--Cafe Atmosphere (a bit dive-y but with good food; a friend who took
me there prevented me from taking some American friends there, two
weeks later!)
wink.gif
I also went to U Pinkasu, Hloupy Honza, and U Sadlu for typical Czech food. Those are listed in order of preference.

The modern art museum is pretty cool, huge and cheap. The Museum Kampa is a waste of money.

Re: changing money: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...reign_Exchange

balder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I have no idea what the authentic experience is, but one of my best spa memories came from Banff (or some nearby place in the rockies). There was a swimming pool filled with 100'degree water, and instead of being one of those sitting-around type pools, it was 5 or 6 feet deep. Which meant you could walk around and completely free up your back and joints in a weightless environment. I felt mellow for three days after, and this was with my parents and three sisters in the van.

Anyway-- are there deep hot pools at any of the spas, or is it so standard that I shouldn't look stupid by asking?

100 degrees centigrade!!!!!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
As always, call me when you're here (Budapest). Not sure I'll be around but if I am will be happy to help. The best english language food information is at www.chew.hu, for which I've written a couple of reviews. Not to be missed restaurants are Klassz, Fausto's, Lou-Lou; Gundel for a more "authentic" experience. If you're staying in Buda, Deryne is worth a look. Drink cocktails at Martinez in Pest or Oscar's in Buda. Downscale at Szimpla Kert, clubs at Hajosvari Sziget (and you'll never want to go back to non-Hungarian women, ever). Actually I have a better list somewhere in Matt's "drinking holes" thread. If you're here for the monthly Cinetrip, do it. Tix are 20EUR but they are truly epic parties, til 5 am at the Rudas baths. Look for the Funzine at most bars, it's the best english-language event guide in the city. Pestiside.hu is also useful. Deepest bath I've been in ~100F/38C wasn't more than 5 foot deep. Just ask if you want more specific info. Tom

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, I'll definitely get back to you on specifics. As for Prague, I'm thinking about staying at the Hotel Josef -- any experiences?

Happydayz

Reaction score
Private apartments in Prague are also a great idea. Getting someplace close to the town center (forgot what the main square is called) is expensive if you book at hotel room.

If however you rent out an apartment it is far cheaper, almost hostel cheap. Go to hostelworld.com and check out some of the apartments available. The one I stayed in was a 3 bedroom apartment with plenty of space and I had my own room to myself. The room was easily double the size of most typical hotel rooms with the only downside being that I had to share the shower with 2 other guests.

Meursault

Reaction score
In Prague, go to the Czech Inn. It's a youth hostel, but a clean, stylish, upmarket one, not full of drunken students. Decent location, nice building excellently done up, very clean, good staff, good bar, excellent breakfast. It's better than any budget hotel, and probably a lot of the ones in the price range you're talking about. You can probably get a double room for $60 a night. Use the money you save to buy Vass in Budapest.

I haven't found anywhere similar in Budapest, unfortunately, but there are plenty of hotels.

In Prague: take the tram. Quick, fun, cheap, takes you anywhere.
In Budapest: walk. Public transport's ok but not great, but the city (or at least the bits you're likely to visit) is very compact. You should be able to get anywhere from anywhere in half an hour on foot.

Both cities are very interesting, and well worth a visit. Prague's prettier, but a bit touristy. Budapest's just all-round great. Try to get to the Matthias Church after sunset - magical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads