• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Porsche Carrera 911

madison avenue

Reaction score
I wanted to hear from some carrera owners , as I am considering purchasing one. I am looking to get a certified pre owned with an extended warranty. I wanted to know how reliable the car is and how much it costs to maintain it generally without any unexpected problems such as engine failure. I currenty am on owner of a Range Rover so I know about pricey upkeep of a vechile. I would of went to a porsche forum but they would all just tell me to buy the porsche and not to think twice about it. I need some rational advice. Thanks in advance.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what forum were you looking at? A few years ago i was considering a used 928 and got great advice on roadfly, down to the specific maintenance issues the model i was looking at had. I'd check that forum if you haven't already.

epb

Reaction score
The Porsche 911 continues to offer a sublime and exhilarating driving experience for a lot less than other cars in its performance envelope. That said, the days when it made sense to keep a Porsche after the warranty's up are over; when it expires, be driving something else.

Here's how Porsche maintenance and Ferrari maintenance differ. Owning a Ferrari is like getting mugged - every 5000 miles, someone bludgeons you from behind, empties your wallet, and runs up your credit card. Owning a 996/997 Porsche out of warranty is like coming home just once to find your house is being robbed, but after the thieves empty your safe, they drop it on you.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A porsche forum such as rennlist.com could better answer your questions.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
A porsche forum such as rennlist.com could better answer your questions.
I also highly recommend rennlist.com for lots of useful information and opinions about the 911.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I don't own one but have extensive experience with detailing several of my friends...the 911 is a supremely reliable car. Most of my friends use it as a daily driver with no major issues.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on reading Rennlist. Depending on the model year, there may be some expensive issues, like the RMS issue. It's a high performance car, so expect that maintenance will not be cheap.

--Andre

Bruce9241

Reaction score
This may be a bit off topic, but have you considered a Nissan 370z? I know the performance numbers for the Z cars are almost compareable to 911's. The maintenance for the Z's are not even an issue. It's not a Porsche, but with a $30,000 price tag brand new it's worth every cent.
nissan-370z-official.jpg

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
preventive maintenance is the key to a trouble free ownership experience of high end sports cars. As long as you treat it with respect and care, the reward will be great. Having said that, I'd avoid the 996 model. I'd either go with a 997 for the latest tech, or a 993 for a more pure 911 experience.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
This may be a bit off topic, but have you considered a Nissan 370z? I know the performance numbers for the Z cars are almost compareable to 911's. The maintenance for the Z's are not even an issue. It's not a Porsche, but with a $30,000 price tag brand new it's worth every cent.
nissan-370z-official.jpg

Are you serious?
sarcasm.gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Just get a beetle, its a lot cheaper.

Yeah, and the Turbo Beetle has almost comparable performance like the 370Z. Definitely a better buy..

turboman808

Reaction score
One trend I have noticed with older car guys that are into exotic cars...

They usually start with a 911 as there first really expensive sports car, then they finally get enough together to get a ferrari or lamborghini. Then they realize that they are such a pain ********** and always comes back to the 911.

Porsche makes great cars that are reliable enough for everyday and can still be taken out for a thrashing on the race track. All the while looking good. Drivers seat in a 911 is a great place to sit.

Being the vintage nut that I am if I did get a 911 it would have to be a 73, 74 911 rsr.

http://66.236.61.177/showthread.php?t=316408

ryan996

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madison avenue
I wanted to hear from some carrera owners , as I am considering purchasing one. I am looking to get a certified pre owned with an extended warranty. I wanted to know how reliable the car is and how much it costs to maintain it generally without any unexpected problems such as engine failure. I currenty am on owner of a Range Rover so I know about pricey upkeep of a vechile. I would of went to a porsche forum but they would all just tell me to buy the porsche and not to think twice about it. I need some rational advice. Thanks in advance.

No offense but other than poseur value, the Range Rover and the 911 have NOTHING in common.

I've owned 911s for many years. I currently have a 996 C4S and a 997 C2S convertible. Maintenance and parts are extremely expensive, and god help you if anything breaks. They are reliable for a European car, but not Toyota level reliability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads