• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ErikW

Reaction score
My wife has heard me mention that the iwc mk xv is my lottery watch a few times.

Tonight over dinner, celebrating our 10th anniversary, she surprised me with a watch. Unfortunately, it was the ugly Spitfire. It was still a very generous and sweet gift, but I’m returning that first thing tomorrow.

My wife gifted me a "MVMT" watch. Thankfully, she knows I'm a huge watch snob and her feelings weren't hurt when I told her it probably wouldn't get any wear. :colgate:

alantrickman

Reaction score
Hey all, anyone have any information on this watch? All I know is that it's an Omega Seamaster, automatic with date. My grandfather just gave it to me, and I honestly don't know very much about watches at all. He said that he received it as a gift in around 1973. He used it almost everyday since then, until about 10 years ago when he said it stopped working properly. I was trying to figure out how to best restore something like this, and if anyone knew any exact reference or style numbers that could be helpful. Ideally I'd like to keep and wear it, but I don't even have the slightest clue on what kind of repair it would even need.

image1 (8).jpeg

Browsing the Omega site, I tried to find the watch, and came across two models which look quite similar...but the band looks a little different, I dunno.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-calendar-ck-14701

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-st-166-0172

If anyone has any information that'd be great. Thanks in advance!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, anyone have any information on this watch? All I know is that it's an Omega Seamaster, automatic with date.

My grandfather just gave it to me, and I honestly don't know very much about watches at all. He said that he received it as a gift in around 1973. He used it almost everyday since then, until about 10 years ago when he said it stopped working properly.

I was trying to figure out how to best restore something like this, and if anyone knew any exact reference or style numbers that could be helpful. Ideally I'd like to keep and wear it, but I don't even have the slightest clue on what kind of repair it would even need.

If anyone has any information that'd be great. Thanks in advance!
Wow, I have that exact model Omega! My father gave it to me for my birth year (1958) when I graduated from high school. It is a great watch, and still runs extremely well with very minimal, typical basic service (really just clean/oil) every +/- 7 years.

It is simply, afaik, an "Omega Seamaster Automatic, 1958", with no other nomenclature.

1) You will need to take yours to a competent shop to get a repair estimate. Until someone opens the watch up, there is no way to know.

2) Do not concern yourself with the band; they (Omega) changed them a few times, I think. Also, your band may not be the original, to the watch year.

3) Your watch, sadly, looks fairly degraded aesthetically, in terms of damage/wear to the case and primarily the dials/hands/markers. The case can be polished but restoring a dial, etc.... Maybe contact Jack Alexyon at IWW (International Watch Works) if he is still in business, or another restorer, to see what a restoration might cost, if you might want to go that route.

4) Once the case back is opened up, one can immediately determine the production year via the movement serial number:
https://est1897.co.uk/omega-serial-numbers-how-old-is-your-omega-watch

This is my 1958 Seamaster Automatic, with "linen" dial, on a Di-Modell Teju Lizard strap.

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_01_zpscf61tcra.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_02_zpsdxbmhbty.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_04_zpsiq3hm1ox.jpg

Last edited:

alantrickman

Reaction score
Wow, I have that exact model Omega! My father gave it to me for my birth year (1958) when I graduated from high school. It is a great watch, and still runs extremely well with very minimal, typical basic service (really just clean/oil) every +/- 7 years.

It is simply, afaik, an "Omega Seamaster Automatic, 1958", with no other nomenclature.

1) You will need to take yours to a competent shop to get a repair estimate. Until someone opens the watch up, there is no way to know.

2) Do not concern yourself with the band; they (Omega) changed them a few times, I think. Also, your band may not be the original, to the watch year.

3) Your watch, sadly, looks fairly degraded aesthetically, in terms of damage/wear to the case and primarily the dials/hands/markers. The case can be polished but restoring a dial, etc.... Maybe contact Jack Alexyon at IWW (International Watch Works) if he is still in business, or another restorer, to see what a restoration might cost, if you might want to go that route.

4) Once the case back is opened up, one can immediately determine the production year via the movement serial number:
https://est1897.co.uk/omega-serial-numbers-how-old-is-your-omega-watch

This is my 1958 Seamaster Automatic, with "linen" dial, on a Di-Model Teju Lizard strap.

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_01_zpscf61tcra.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_02_zpsdxbmhbty.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_04_zpsiq3hm1ox.jpg

Thank you for the info! That is really amazing, yours definitely looks in fantastic condition, and I'm liking the leather strap as well.

I think if I get the watch working, that+maybe a band swap would be enough for me to wear it. Thanks again, very helpful!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! That is really amazing, yours definitely looks in fantastic condition, and I'm liking the leather strap as well.

I think if I get the watch working, that+maybe a band swap would be enough for me to wear it. Thanks again, very helpful!
You're most welcome. Yes, it is a special watch, to me.

I agree completely with you: have it repaired and cleaned; get it running again; maybe replace the crystal (they're acrylic, very inexpensive); add a new strap or band, and then wear it with joy.

I would suggest to definitely not restore the case, dial, etc. It almost always looks fake imo, and it would be a real shame to do away with the very personal patina this watch now carries with it. Old genuine scars are far more beautiful than new impersonal paint, in these instances.

Quesjac

Reaction score
I'm looking at a cheap, more casual watch, either a chrono or a diver I think. My general requirements are:
1. Black dial
2. Monochrome, plain design, easy to read
3. <40mm
4. <$300 --- I want something I can wear fairly hard without worrying

I'm pretty much set on a Seiko and currently thinking about these two:
SNDC81 chrono
0793c3d2465cbec2031bdab11ac05d4a.jpg

SNX 013
H_DSCF9106.jpg

Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the chrono for the design. It would be nice to have automatic, but it's not a dealbreaker for me and I know I'm not going to find an auto chrono at this price. I like the features of the SNA 411 "Flightmaster" (screw down crown and winder, alarm, etc but the design is way too busy for me.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife gifted me a "MVMT" watch. Thankfully, she knows I'm a huge watch snob and her feelings weren't hurt when I told her it probably wouldn't get any wear. :colgate:

Why? It could be stylish or interesting enough to start a conversation.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a cheap, more casual watch, either a chrono or a diver I think. My general requirements are:
1. Black dial
2. Monochrome, plain design, easy to read
3. <40mm
4. <$300 --- I want something I can wear fairly hard without worrying

I'm pretty much set on a Seiko and currently thinking about these two:
SNDC81 chrono
0793c3d2465cbec2031bdab11ac05d4a.jpg

SNX 013
H_DSCF9106.jpg

Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the chrono for the design. It would be nice to have automatic, but it's not a dealbreaker for me and I know I'm not going to find an auto chrono at this price. I like the features of the SNA 411 "Flightmaster" (screw down crown and winder, alarm, etc but the design is way too busy for me.

Interesting choices. I feel like the two are fairly distinct. The chrono will wear larger due to not having a bezel, but/and it strikes me as a bit more distinctive. The diver will probably wear smaller, but might have a thicker case and be able to take more of a beating. But/and I really like the offset crown not digging into wrists (my turtle is very comfy).

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These new quartz watches r available for 100. I'd rather buy Chinese made clutchwheel chronograph in daytona case for 150 from Ebay.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citizen Signature Grand Touring Automatic - Stainless NB1031-53L
I saw it on the Facebook "watch buy & sell" thread for an excellent price, caught my eye, did some research and by the time I decided to buy it it was already sold. Searched and found another on watch U seek for a little more $ but in pristine condition. I'm going to have to stop following that thread, I get bombarded with watches every day....pretty dangerous for a watch addict...:crazy::eek::inlove:

WilYa

Reaction score
These new quartz watches r available for 100. I'd rather buy Chinese made clutchwheel chronograph in daytona case for 150 from Ebay.
Any lead on any other PMW 38mm chronograph? Not fake-daytona, not Seagull reissue, not vintage...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citizen Signature Grand Touring Automatic - Stainless NB1031-53L
I saw it on the Facebook "watch buy & sell" thread for an excellent price, caught my eye, did some research and by the time I decided to buy it it was already sold. Searched and found another on watch U seek for a little more $ but in pristine condition. I'm going to have to stop following that thread, I get bombarded with watches every day....pretty dangerous for a watch addict...:crazy::eek::inlove:

Legendary model. Discounted was less than $500 but the quality inside out is of a $2k watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads