• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gap in that photo is of course quite a bit more than 1mm.

As for shell straps, I find them to be in an uncomfortable no-man's land: On one side, the shiny (sometimes even plasticky so) surface make them seem like they want to be dressy, but on the other side they're usually paired with more casual details, like larger stitching and I don't believe I've seen a lined one (which with some neat stitching would've kept it in the dressy camp). I'm aware they're popular though, so I'll happily stay in the minority with this opinion :smile:

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mosy

Seiko-Prospex-SRPB49K1-1703239531.jpg

Darn you @mimo , now I'm going to spend all morning searching for this beauty.:cool:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Kaplan , I think shell only works in the dressy context - that slick surface, with neat stitching, like you said.

@Jazzmenco, now you're just being greedy; you already have its twin! If I show you where, will you get me one too? Also, have you ever compared side by side with the "Shogun"?

kimmo

Reaction score
And a GMT function. It's not possible to switch bezel inserts on the Shogun. I'm wondering if the whole bezel can be switched with the Samurai? But then I'm starting with a $800 watch and basically changing everything but the case and (possibly!) bracelet. And Seiko don't make an automatic GMT movement anyway. Nor do Miyota.

Suggestions welcome.

Wildcard: Orient does GMT, and as they're owned by Seiko, you wouldn't be too blasphemous, right..?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Gold star for @kimmo , you are quite right! In my three day nerd-fest of looking up movements, sizes, case shapes and whoknowswhatelse, that did occur to me. The 40P51 movement also has a power reserve, which is cool and seems to be a bit of a signature for Orient. There is a GMT and date only FE03 movement but it doesn't hack or hand-wind so stuff that.

I couldn't find any details of the size of the Orient movements relative to the Seiko 6r15, whereas I know that ETA 2836 movement is just a hair's breadth smaller in each direction (the more modern 2893 is much slimmer, and offers little advantage as far as I can see over the "Top" standard 2836). People speak highly of the Orient 40P5x, but everyone talks well about their own car. I just instinctively wanted any change to feel like an upgrade. It might not be true that ETA's higher movements are better than Orient's, but it would feel a bit odd putting the movement from a $250 watch into an $850 watch. Then again, that movement appears in Orients that are as expensive as the Shogun, so maybe it is like for like.

Still, it could be the way to go, if anyone is will to do this kind of stuff at all. I'm thinking that with the power reserve too, the dial would have to be totally custom. Not sure that's even doable!

This is all madness. And thank you for playing!

Last edited:

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mimo , Baby tuna - Shogun - Samurai... Don't have a Turtle yet... the tuna came with a crappy rubber strap (sold it on ebay) replaced it with this cheapy faux alligator that I had laying around forever...IMHO it works (for now)... Shogun came with the leather strap (plus the original titanium), looks good but unfortunately the strap is too short for my fat wrist...almost came to my senses about that gray Samurai but the Euro exchange rate is so favorable today I might just get it anyway...what the "heck" oh yeah & today's ensemble...jazzy being jazzy!
20170713_172450.jpg
20170713_172704.jpg
20170713_113534.jpg

20170713_113505.jpg

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Can we have them all on bracelets, equidistant from the camera, and a Sumo too please? Thank you very much.

:-D

I really fancy that Shogun, but I fear the missus will not allow the expense and she doesn't like it too much (any black dial dive watch is just a lesser Submariner in her eyes, it seems). That Samurai...maybe.

On a side track, I've just noticed a brand that @TheWraith has been advocating for a while: Steinhart. I'd dismissed it as Rolex-substitutes only, and that's partially true. But I've noticed they have some models with more original dials and hands that might stand up nicely on their own. Alas, their GMT model is a BLNR "tribute", but pretty nice.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @mimo. I just got their BLNR "tribute" (posted a pic of it a page or two back). I normally don't like titanium watches, but this one doesn't feel as light as one I had in the past (though it is still lighter than its steel equivalents), but the ceramic bezel won me over. Beautiful watch, a real winner in my book. Apart from the colour of the bezel, it's really nothing like the BLNR. Different font, different dial, no Cyclops, date at the 6 o'clock position, 500m water resistance, no PCL, different hands, different metal and case size etc. etc.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking if the bezel were swapped out for a plain black one, it wouldn't be a Batman at all - and they sell the bezel inserts too. Sigh. So many good things. The 6 o'clock date is a plus, too. I really, really don't like 3 0'clock date windows...

That Marine Office chrono in blue is something. Not sure about the modular movement, but it looks great. I am quite impressed with their range now I've bothered to look properly.

marine-o.44_blue_1kx1k_07.1496317094.jpg

One thing that's disappointing: 5ATM water resistance. But 50ATM for the divers is impressive, and I'm quite taken with them. And this is a real looker:

ocean_titan_500_neues_band_22x18.8.1496316880.jpg

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Having wondered about it, I made a cack-handed edit of your beautiful titanium Bat-a-like to see what it would be like with the bezel swapped for a black one:

o1ti500gmt_10.1498472746.jpg

blacker.jpg

@TheWraith , what are the dimensions of the bezel insert? I'm wondering if it's possible to buy aftermarket ones made for another watch. What I really want is a brushed metallic or grey one.

greyer.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads