• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thams

Reaction score
Soooooo, I've heavily researching watches in my price range and I've really taken a liking to Sinn. At first I was sold on the 556, but then I spotted the 856... There's a pretty significant price difference between the two. I understand the hardened case, moisture preventing capabilities, and magnetic field protection contribute to the higher cost of the 856. I don't want to open a can of worms, but is the 2824-2 movement significantly lower quality than the SW300-1? Sinn reports to use top quality components in both movements. Any discernible difference to the average watch owner?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask about women's watches in here?

I'm looking to make a gift of a vintage women's dress watch. Not many preferences really, just that it be from a reputable brand and not cost more than $1000. Quartz would be fine, too. Any ideas where I should start looking?
What do you mean by women dress watch? Dressed for what? The definition f a dress watch for men is simple, for women , it could be anything from gold rolex to dior crystals.

I understand the hardened case, moisture preventing capabilities, and magnetic field protection contribute to the higher cost of the 856.
Sorry, but these three selling points sound to me like a complete marketing bullshit.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
...2824-2...SW300-1... Any discernible difference to the average watch owner?

As I understand it, the SW300 is a copy of the 2892, which is supposedly a slightly superior movement to the 2824, though in practical terms the main difference is that the 2892 is much thinner. As they are all base movements anyway and Sinn does its own in house work on them, I suspect the difference is marginal. Buy the one you like. I really like the 856 - especially the UTC version.

... these three selling points sound to me like a complete marketing bullshit.

A bit like extreme depth ratings or COSC certification or a Geneva seal: some might dismiss their functionally useless to most users. But they nevertheless represent something real. There are diminishing returns in marginal technological advancement that might not make much difference most of the time, but this is Styleforum, where we like the little differences and pay for them! And seriously, these three functions are also about reliability of the watch, and they actually work, so what's not to like? I don't think Sinn are an obvious target to accuse of PR fluff. Their design and manufacture seems to me the antithesis of frivolity!

thams

Reaction score
What do you mean by women dress watch? Dressed for what? The definition f a dress watch for men is simple, for women , it could be anything from gold rolex to dior crystals.

Sorry, but these three selling points sound to me like a complete marketing bullshit.
As I understand it, the SW300 is a copy of the 2892, which is supposedly a slightly superior movement to the 2824, though in practical terms the main difference is that the 2892 is much thinner. As they are all base movements anyway and Sinn does its own in house work on them, I suspect the difference is marginal. Buy the one you like. I really like the 856 - especially the UTC version.

A bit like extreme depth ratings or COSC certification or a Geneva seal: some might dismiss their functionally useless to most users. But they nevertheless represent something real. There are diminishing returns in marginal technological advancement that might not make much difference most of the time, but this is Styleforum, where we like the little differences and pay for them! And seriously, these three functions are also about reliability of the watch, and they actually work, so what's not to like? I don't think Sinn are an obvious target to accuse of PR fluff. Their design and manufacture seems to me the antithesis of frivolity!

Thanks for the reply - your assessment seems more or less in line with what I've read and heard. Assuming that Sinn uses top grade components for both the 2824 and SW300 (2892) movements, the accuracy is actually rated the same. I then hear some complaining about the 2824 as being a "meh" movement that many lower quality brands use. I'm looking for a workhorse that's easily serviced and won't break the bank every time it needs to be looked at. While I like the aesthetic and technology of the 856 (especially the UTC), the additional cost might be a bridge too far for me. Really digging the minimalist style of Sinn though. Thanks everyone that suggested taking a peek at them.

ramses smuckles

Reaction score

Good question. Should have been more descriptive. I'm only really familiar with men's watches, so I was thinking of the ones that look like smaller, 'prettier' men's dress watches. Thin, with a slim bezel and a clean, dark dial. I plan on adding a leather strap of my own so strap/bracelet is not a consideration. I'd like a rectangular or tank case but realise they might be harder to come by. I prefer Arabic or Roman numerals to indices.

Once you enter the vintage world, the PMW range is limitless, especially for the ladies' versions, and quartz. Some real top makers are available in that bracket. You do have to look out for fakes, be realistic about condition and as others always say "buy the seller" i.e. check the reputation. But, for a relatively small amount of money, it's a worthwhile risk.

I would suggest leaving enough money left over for a (non-dealer) service, a new (non-original) strap and maybe even an original box off eBay.

But, as Jazzy said above, there are plenty of new bargains to be had in PMW world too. I like the JeanRichard deals from Ashford. I'd also take a look at Baume & Mercier on Jomashop: classic styles with some history like the Hampton, and plenty within budget. There's always some peace of mind with a brand new watch after all.

Thanks @mimo! Lots of great candidates in that link. I'm not new to vintage watches, but I've always went in looking for a specific watch. It's easy with men's watches because there's no shortage of information on men's watches on the net, plus a few obsessive communities. Hardly the same with women's watches.

nicostatus

Reaction score
Here's two more of my pieces, this time all the way vintage. Incredibly inexpensive, storied history, fantastic oldschool case designs. IMHO, you cannot beat the Japanese for price to quality ratio whether buying vintage or new, but obviously I am biased. But not just the price.. THE CHARACTER. These have so much character. Just both of these having acrylic crystals (like Omega's Hesalite) changes the depth of the dial, somewhat. Light is reflected more "warmly", its quite a nice little detail.

The first one is the Citizen Challenge Timer 67-9356 or more commonly referred to as the "Citizen Bullhead". I replaced the band with a stunning red Italian leather Autodromo strap and I think it really sets the watch off. Note the 70's era unique octagonal case (rarest of the bunch) and panda dial with slight patina. So much history and character. Some info on the movement of this heavily underrated vintage gem: "Citizen’s 8110A chronograph automatic high beat movement is a fine piece of engineering – compact in design with hand winding and ‘fly back’ capabilities it is a great addition to a collection. The model that it most often seen for sale – by a long way – is the Challenge Timer, now more usually called a ‘bullhead’." "Five Challenge Timer models were produced, only one of which was cased in stainless steel – the octagonally shaped 67-9356. The rest have ‘base metal’ cases, albeit with stainless steel case backs." SOURCE: http://sweep-hand.org/want-an-original-citizen-bullhead-a-quick-buying-guide/

The second piece is a Seiko 6139-8020 from circa the 1970's. The stainless steel bracelet it was on was unoriginal and low quality so I replaced it with a 20mm Rally strap from Autodromo. Powered by the 6139 automatic movement with chronograph function. It was one of the first automatic chrono's ever created.

To give you an idea of price: I found the Citizen on e-bay in excellent condition and won the bid for less than $300. I found the Seiko also on e-bay and won that bid for less than $150. They are getting harder to find in this condition for those prices, however, as more people learn about them. Enjoy and I shall post more later. I love watches!

hHLj5IS.jpg
B7EuWbL.jpg

kimmo

Reaction score
To give you an idea of price: I found the Citizen on e-bay in excellent condition and won the bid for less than $300. I found the Seiko also on e-bay and won that bid for less than $150. They are getting harder to find in this condition for those prices, however, as more people learn about them. Enjoy and I shall post more later. I love watches!

Wait.. what? Are those original / original service parts at that price?

I've been looking some other brands and all but lost hope on eBay because of the Frankenparts market.

nicostatus

Reaction score
Wait.. what? Are those original / original service parts at that price?

I've been looking some other brands and all but lost hope on eBay because of the Frankenparts market.
Those bands are aftermarket. Everything else is original. Still have the original bands, it's just that I prefer these pieces on these particular straps. Plays off of their colors better imho and adds to the "motorsport" look that I was going for.

thams

Reaction score
Soooooooo, I pulled the trigger this morning on a new Sinn from watchbuys. I was waffling between the 556i red second hand and the 856 UTC. In the end, I went with the 556i (last one with the red second hand!). The price was more in line with my budget and I think it's slightly more versatile (even though I sort of like the 856 aesthetics more). The red second hand really makes the face pop. I'm hoping to pick up a shell #8 strap for it a little down the line. For now, I ordered an olive NATO strap - both the watch and band should be here on Wednesday.

As a plug for watchbuys, the whole buying experience was fantastic. I called on Sunday with some questions not realizing they were closed. The owner called me back that evening and chatted with me for 30 minutes about both models I was considering. He gave me a technical and historical rundown of the movements, quoted me servicing costs, and was totally upfront about the pros and cons of each. For someone new to higher end watches, it was greatly appreciated. If I truly catch the watch collecting bug, I'll be back to buy from them. Great experience all the way around. I'll post pictures on Wednesday.

kimmo

Reaction score
Those bands are aftermarket. Everything else is original. Still have the original bands, it's just that I prefer these pieces on these particular straps. Plays off of their colors better imho and adds to the "motorsport" look that I was going for.

Noticed the straps, but thought the original watches would cost significantly more. Thanks for the education.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads