• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Cross post....

Which of these two represents a better value and which one would you rather own/wear?

For reference, I'd be getting both on the gray market, the B&M for aprox $1330 and the Tissot for aprox $375?

The dial of the BM has too many disparate elements; indices, roman numerals, AND arabic numbers. It doesnt go together at all.

And $1300 for such a watch is way out of line; brand or not. You can get that same look for way cheaper.

Between these two, I would get the Tissot. I always prefer indices to numbers or numberals, as I feel it is a cleaner, more symmetrical and uncluttered look. However, I am not a fan of day-date complications (and indeed will go for a no-date model pretty much every time).

Last edited:

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After about a week wait, I received my SARB035 yesterday. For the record, this is my first real watch and I wasn't really sure what to expect. My first reaction upon removing it from the box was I couldn't believe how small it was. Not in a bad way, I guess I just didn't know what 38mm look like.

For comparison, the last watch I owned was a Kenneth Cole watch given to me about 8-9 years ago. But I stopped wearing it when the battery died about 4 -5 years ago. But it must've been like 42mm cause it looks huge next to the Seiko but I didn't realize it back then.

The first thing I did was swap the bracelet for a Hirsch leather strap, put it on and didn't want to take it off. The plan is to eventually pass it down to my first son for his high school graduation, he's 5 years old now. I'm partial to white dials and dress watches and now I'm already wondering what am I gonna buy next. My wife is gonna hate me, I can feel it.

Here are a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Don Murray

Reaction score
Cross post....

Which of these two represents a better value and which one would you rather own/wear?

For reference, I'd be getting both on the gray market, the B&M for aprox $1330 and the Tissot for aprox $375?

I realize it's a huge price difference but I'm ok getting either one. I just want to get the one that I'll enjoy more, and right now I'm not sure. Would appreciate all of your opinions.

Please factor in aesthetics, value, brand heritage, and anything else you would factor in.

Thanks in advance!!

I have the Tissot. And if someone offered either of these to me for free, I'd still take the Tissot.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Tissot. And if someone offered either of these to me for free, I'd still take the Tissot.

Thanks that's quite an endorsement of the Tissot. What do you typically wear it with? Do you love it that much or do you just dislike the B&M that much?

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seiko SNK807 (navy blue face) on a natural Chromexcel Zulu strap from Crown & Buckle:

I love the combo of a medium brown leather strap/navy dial. This watch is about as small as I'll go at 37 mm with 18 mm lugs. Would prefer 38-40 mm but I'll happily wear it anyway.

What's the prevailing wisdom of where exactly to position the watch on a one piece Zulu strap like this one?

dfwcowboy

Reaction score

Don Murray

Reaction score
Thanks that's quite an endorsement of the Tissot. What do you typically wear it with? Do you love it that much or do you just dislike the B&M that much?

It's my only watch (for now). I wear a shirt and tie at work, and polos/slim corduroy jeans on the weekends. It's not that I dislike the other watch, but I REALLY love the aesthetics of the Tissot. Something about that 50s look and the old-style logo. If it was a bit smaller it'd be even better.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry for all the noob questions lately, but I have one more...

As someone who is new to mechanical watches, I just discovered that it's potentially damaging to a watch's movement to set the date when the time shown is between roughly 9pm and 2am. I'd read in my Hamilton's manual to "avoid" doing this, but it didn't say why not to, nor warn that it could be damaging. I figured it was simply that the date might not advance at the proper time, but had no idea it might actually cause physical damage. Now that I've done more research, I understand what's going on.

I own two mechanical watches so far, a Hamilton Khaki and a Seiko 5 automatic, both which I've shown in this thread recently. I'm not positive, but I think I might have adjusted the date on one or both of these watches during the 9pm-2am period. However, the date functions still seem to be working just fine. So my question: even though the date functions work appropriately right now, is there still a chance that I've caused some damage? Or does the fact that the date functions work just fine mean that no damage has occurred, and I need not worry? Also, are quartz watches also subject to the same potential damage from setting the date at the wrong time?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Sorry for all the noob questions lately, but I have one more...

As someone who is new to mechanical watches, I just discovered that it's potentially damaging to a watch's movement to set the date when the time shown is between roughly 9pm and 2am. I'd read in my Hamilton's manual to "avoid" doing this, but it didn't say why not to, nor warn that it could be damaging. I figured it was simply that the date might not advance at the proper time, but had no idea it might actually cause physical damage. Now that I've done more research, I understand what's going on.

I own two mechanical watches so far, a Hamilton Khaki and a Seiko 5 automatic, both which I've shown in this thread recently. I'm not positive, but I think I might have adjusted the date on one or both of these watches during the 9pm-2am period. However, the date functions still seem to be working just fine. So my question: even though the date functions work appropriately right now, is there still a chance that I've caused some damage? Or does the fact that the date functions work just fine mean that no damage has occurred, and I need not worry? Also, are quartz watches also subject to the same potential damage from setting the date at the wrong time?

I don't think you will cause physical damage (not sure), but it will typically throw the date out of sync. Usually, in my experience, if you adjust the date in that time frame the date will not advance correctly the next day. Typically it won't advance the next day. Not that it's broken, it's just out of sync. Fixing the date not in that time frame will correct it. If you want to be sure that you're in sync, set the date by advancing the hour hand then set the correct time.

If you take notice, typically the date will start switching around 11pm or so. You can see the date start to creep out of the window. Better not to disrupt that process.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads