• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elessar

Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick's day (from yesterday, full with a Bud Lite
1f340.png
lapel pin, hahaha)

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My first manual mechanical:

Very happy with this watch so far, and the size (38mm, 20mm lugs). The strap is very comfortable, but I'm not crazy about the tan color. Got a few NATOs on the way.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
My first manual mechanical:.... not crazy about the tan color.

Congratulations; that's a really nice choice. Pilot watches are cool, and one in a classic size that's every-day wearable is a smart buy for a first proper watch. Personally I like the look of that woven strap as it's so consistent with the militaristic style. And personally, I find NATO-looking rather than actual NATO straps, much more comfortable. Buying straps and changing them around is almost as addictive as buying watches, and really makes the watch feel like something new, so beware of that too!

Welcome to the club. :)

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Congratulations; that's a really nice choice.  Pilot watches are cool, and one in a classic size that's every-day wearable is a smart buy for a first proper watch.  Personally I like the look of that woven strap as it's so consistent with the militaristic style.  And personally, I find NATO-looking rather than actual NATO straps, much more comfortable.  Buying straps and changing them around is almost as addictive as buying watches, and really makes the watch feel like something new, so beware of that too!

Welcome to the club. :)

Thank you! I really couldn't be happier with this purchase.

As for NATO straps, I'm not totally sold on the style, and would be happy to find some two-piece straps comparable to the one that came with the watch, but in other colors. I'd like to try navy, black, and more of a brownish tan.

What's the rundown on ruggedness/durability of a mechanical watch such as this Hamilton? From what I've read, mechanical watches need to be treated with a bit more care than a quartz watch, as the movement can be damaged by shock/sudden movements. I was out with some friends earlier tonight and wore this watch. I played a couple games of ping pong (paddle in my right hand, watch on my left wrist) and couldn't help but wonder if that was too jarring of an activity for a mechanical watch, even though the watch was on the hand NOT doing most of the moving. Hopefully I'm just being too anal...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes, you are. Mechanical watches generally include some shock protection, and when I've dropped or bashed one it's usually been the crystal or case that's suffered while the movement has remained intact. That's not to say that you should take some care, but waving it about, even with great enthusiasm, will do it no harm!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first manual mechanical:

Very happy with this watch so far, and the size (38mm, 20mm lugs). The strap is very comfortable, but I'm not crazy about the tan color. Got a few NATOs on the way.

Green version was my first handwind. This particular watch does wear bigger than other 38mm watches though due to its straighter lugs.

Unfortunately, mine is out of commission at the moment.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
What's the rundown on ruggedness/durability of a mechanical watch such as this Hamilton? From what I've read, mechanical watches need to be treated with a bit more care than a quartz watch, as the movement can be damaged by shock/sudden movements. I was out with some friends earlier tonight and wore this watch. I played a couple games of ping pong (paddle in my right hand, watch on my left wrist) and couldn't help but wonder if that was too jarring of an activity for a mechanical watch, even though the watch was on the hand NOT doing most of the moving. Hopefully I'm just being too anal...

A well made watch (like your Hamilton) will have some shock and magnetic protection by design. Personally I never worry about it and just engage in my normal activities. Unless you are running a jackhammer or work around very strong magnets, there should be no issues.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a watch in the style of this Tissot Le Locle for awhile now. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives before I pull the trigger. The Tissot is really close to what I want but I have a small wrist and 39 mm is too large for a dress watch on me, imo. I'm really attracted to the roman numerals, the font, and the hand style on it. Sapphire is definitely a plus too. Most of the Seikos I've seen in a similar style seem to be quartz.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a watch in the style of this Tissot Le Locle for awhile now. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives before I pull the trigger. The Tissot is really close to what I want but I have a small wrist and 39 mm is too large for a dress watch on me, imo. I'm really attracted to the roman numerals, the font, and the hand style on it. Sapphire is definitely a plus too. Most of the Seikos I've seen in a similar style seem to be quartz.

I like the Seiko presage line, which has something that looks almost identical but is equally big or bigger at 40 mm x 13mm.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Slightly smaller in the same genre would be the Hamilton Intra-Matic, Mido Multifort, and Certina DS range - all 38mm. Mido also do the Baroncelli as small as 33mm, and there is the Longines Presence at 34mm. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but all of these are from the same Swatch family, with similar Swiss ETA movements. I was looking them up at Jomashop, where they're all on sale at 4-500ish. The Longines is gold-plated and $800 something.

If you shop around a little more widely, and can go up to the top of the PMW range towards $1k, then there is also the Longines Conquest at 35mm - nice classic styling.

Outside the world of Swatch, $1k gets you a Laco Marine 36mm, which is a very nice looking watch. More quirky is the one-handed Meistersinger Neo 2Z range at 36mm too. My personal pick would be the Stowa Antea "Back to Bauhaus" - 35.5mm manual or 36.5mm automatic, or the Nomos Ludwig 35mm can be had for about the same price on Chrono24. That's a lot of brand cred, and independent watchmaking integrity, for the money.

Last edited:

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I've been wanting a good dress watch for a while but I wanted to do some research first before indulging. The Tissot Visodate was on my wish list for the longest but I think it's a little too big. I was also leaning towards a Vintage watch like the Seiko Lord Marvel but I feel like maybe I should start slow and start with something less risky since I'm a novice.

With that said, I just placed an order for a Seiko SARB035 and I'm very excited and can't wait. I also ordered a Hirsch strap as I can't stand the look of bracelets. Thanks to all of you who ask questions and share your knowledge on this thread.

Last edited:

Don Murray

Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick's day (from yesterday, full with a Bud Lite
1f340.png
lapel pin, hahaha)

Just today I had decided to give up the thought of buying the Alpinist (I've been considering it for a while). Thought it probably wouldn't suit my style, which is not in the least outdoorsy. But seeing your pictures is making me reconsider, and I am going to Japan next month...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads