• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Murlsquirl , the KW watch is fine. To put @starro 's comments into perspective, they are the classical, timeless view on dress watches that does not like the current trend of larger dress watches. It's akin to the WAYWRN arguments that focus on the traditional rules/norms and eschew the current trends that deviate from this. Think along the lines of the argument criticizing wearing navy trousers with an odd jacket because it is not ideal and can seem visually jarring as the WAYWRN version. I've got a 41 mm watch that I wear with jackets almost as much as I wear my smaller Nomos Orion; it works for me because I have a larger, flat wrist and a tall, broad frame.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

@Murlsquirl
 , the KW watch is fine.  To put @starro 's comments into perspective, they are the classical, timeless view on dress watches that does not like the current trend of larger dress watches.  It's akin to the WAYWRN arguments that focus on the traditional rules/norms and eschew the current trends that deviate from this.  Think along the lines of the argument criticizing wearing navy trousers with an odd jacket because it is not ideal and can seem visually jarring as the WAYWRN version.  I've got a 41 mm watch that I wear with jackets almost as much as I wear my smaller Nomos Orion; it works for me because I have a larger, flat wrist and a tall, broad frame.

Yikes. I must be the worst dresser, ever, then.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I must be the worst dresser, ever, then.

I assumed there was a reason you post all those awesome watches and shoes but never anything in the clothing threads. I envisioned this guy walking around in Galways with a Rolex on his wrist and an ensemble along the lines of one of these options:

peepwall[1].gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Basically. The fit depends on how much winter weight I hold onto though the year. LMAO. I bulk up for, ummmm.... insulation. Yea that's it.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The other difficult one is a light grey odd jacket. I find it goes great with navy trousers.

I would say a larger Bauhaus-style dress watch is far more classic than a chunky diver and knobbly bracelet under a suit and shirt sleeve. Fashion is a terrible thing, but larger dress watches...not so much.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

The other difficult one is a light grey odd jacket.  I find it goes great with navy trousers.

I would say a larger Bauhaus-style dress watch is far more classic than a chunky diver and knobbly bracelet under a suit and shirt sleeve.  Fashion is a terrible thing, but larger dress watches...not so much.

Then it's official...I am the worst dresser, ever. hahaha

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36MM Shinola Ladies Watch. I paid $120 all in at Nordstrom Rack. It came with a crazy small metal ladies strap. I sold the box, papers, and strap for $80. I bought the current Hirsch strap for $20. I am happy

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I have come to think of Shinola as a terrible value proposition. But sixty bucks for a classically-sized retro-military watch on a nice strap makes a lot of sense. You have a win there, sir!

bobbers

Reaction score

I preferred the look of the first generation and bought it accordingly, but the lack of the hand wind feature is actually quite annoying, as I can't "top it up" with the others when I'm not wearing it.  Must get a winder, but it bugged me more than I expected.

I agree with wanting a hand wind feature. My first Seiko frustrated me that I couldn't do it, so on my next purchase I decided to spend a little more (than the lowest priced Seiko 5s) in order to get a movement that hand winds; 6R15 in my case.

Speaking of a good deal on a watch with the ability to hand wind, I saw the Seiko SRP713 (on 4R36 movement) at Costco for $165 which I thought was a good price for an in-store purchase you can try on, and they have their generous return policy.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself drawn to this new Seiko Presage SARW027. So close to ordering it, but . . . it is 13 mm tall, and I'm really coming to dislike tall dress watches that do not fit under a cuff easily. The gold on white/cream with the brown band, so nice, though . . .

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
There are so many Seikos I want to buy to wear to work as a dress watch, but they are mostly all as thick or thicker than my Sub! Even the manual wind Grand Seikos!

C'mon Seiko...let's thin these dress watches out a bit.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many Seikos I want to buy to wear to work as a dress watch, but they are mostly all as tick or thicker than my Sub! Even the manual wind Grand Seikos!

Tell me about it. I am considering selling my Stowa Marine Original because, at 12 mm tall, I've found that I keep picking other options when I'm wearing a shirt with tighter cuffs. There's no way I can convince myself to buy a 13 mm tall "dress" watch.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tell me about it.  I am considering selling my Stowa Marine Original because, at 12 mm tall, I've found that I keep picking other options when I'm wearing a shirt with tighter cuffs.  There's no way I can convince myself to buy a 13 mm tall "dress" watch.

Exactly. I have a solar Citizen "dress" watch..really nice looking watch...even at 40mm it's ok as dress watch, but it's as thick as my Sub. I wore it for a couple days last week to test it out, but it was less comfortable than my Sub. It has a "vintage-y" high plexi crystal that while beautiful really adds to the thickness. If it had a flat crystal it'd be perfection. I think I took a pic when I wore it. I'll check my phone and post it if I have it.

Yep. Here it is:

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are so many Seikos I want to buy to wear to work as a dress watch, but they are mostly all as thick or thicker than my Sub! Even the manual wind Grand Seikos!

I think the idea is that if you want thin, you get quartz, and automatics have to look like automatics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics