• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Debert? I've been wanting to get an Omega Seamaster 300, but considering I am finishing up grad school, just got engaged, etc, I am still in the PMW club. The Debert looks like it could fit that itch for the next year or two. They have both a black and blue version of the watch.

Thoughts?

As with most Parnis, your greatest enemy will be shoddy quality control. The smaller / cheaper / fly by night sellers dont check their watches at all and duds are more common. More respectable retailers will check their watches. But overall, these watches are of middling quality and are usually not accurate over long periods of time and field very little water resistance (which was the dealbreaker for me, to be honest). I personally recommend dajiwatch as a parnis / sterile / homage retailer. I have never had problems with the few watches I have ordered from them.

Overall I would recommend moving away from this category, as you can buy solid Seiko, Citize, and Vostok divers for the same money which will be more robust, reliable, and waterproof. Some great Vostok Amphibias for $150:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did anyone else get on board the Seiko Lagoon? I pre ordered my Samurai srpb09. Can't wait!

I really like the SRPB09 and if I didn't already have an older titanium SBDA003, I would have been interested. My only complaints with the new SRPB09 are that they didn't stick with the sword hand for the hour hand and the addition of the giant Prospex "X" logo on the face.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like the SRPB09 and if I didn't already have an older titanium SBDA003, I would have been interested. My only complaints with the new SRPB09 are that they didn't stick with the sword hand for the hour hand and the addition of the giant Prospex "X" logo on the face.

I LOVE blue and the blue does look great, but you're right., that hour hand kills it for me. Would have been nice to get hacking and manual winding though.

Also already have an Orange Samurai

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
Did anyone else get on board the Seiko Lagoon? I pre ordered my Samurai srpb09. Can't wait!

For about the same or even less money you can get a Sumo with a better movement. I don't understand what the attraction is, unless you like the retro look of the old Samurai, but even if that's the case they didn't reproduce it all that faithfully. What am I missing?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Some great Vostok Amphibias

DG, you have turned my head...and they're so damn cheap!

What is this one called? The bezel is different to the other ones I've seen, and I like the small seconds - and second time zone?

They seem pretty big - 44mm/15mm, but maybe wear smaller with the lug shape - what do you advise? I couldn't find the one above, but I've now also got my eye on this from Amazon; $90 seems a steal.

Last edited:

dfwcowboy

Reaction score

What is this one called? The bezel is different to the other ones I've seen, and I like the small seconds - and second time zone?

They seem pretty big - 44mm/15mm, but maybe wear smaller with the lug shape - what do you advise? I couldn't find the one above, but I've now also got my eye on this from Amazon; $90 seems a steal.

Same dial, different case and bezel. Ebay seller has more than 200 of them.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score

Glad to hear it! In my experience, all the Amphibia models wear a bit smaller than their size implies due to the short lugs.

The foremost retailer for Amphibia watches online is Meranom (zenitar, linked above, is well regarded too). Meranom in particular has a very close relationship with the factory and frequently commissions special editions / versions (listed on his website as Amphibia SE) which are finished to a higher standard of detail. He is usually prompt and communicative, and his quality control is excellent (which is important when buying a watch overseas). This particular model is the 650, colloquially known as the "Albatross" case:

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-se/650se/

Glance through the rest of his website to see the various special editions (and regular editions) he has. The only downside is that oftentimes the special editions sell out, as they are an insanely good value for what you get (probably better than most Seikos even). For example, this one, the 150 model, is only $65 and fully automatic and handwinding (no hacking):

There is also the 090 "tonneau / barrel" case, a favorite of mine for the vintage look:

Another popular model is the 710 "ministry" case:

There exists a huge aftermarket for these watches for all sorts of dial, hands, bezel, and bezel insert mods:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/vostok-mods-1133714.html

The amphibia is a highly regarded marque within horologic history. The engineering behind the 200M water resistance is genious: instead of relying on multiple gaskets that need to be greased (and replaced when the caseback is taken off) like the swiss brands, the Amphibia caseback is two pieces: the flat cover and a bayonet ring that screws around it. That way, when the pressure increases, the caseback is pushed further deeper into the rubber washer under it, increasing water resistance. The same is true for the crystal, which is precisely machined to deform slightly under pressure, further increasing the sealing:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For about the same or even less money you can get a Sumo with a better movement.  I don't understand what the attraction is, unless you like the retro look of the old [COLOR=333333]Samurai[/COLOR], but even if that's the case they didn't reproduce it all that faithfully.  What am I missing?

I know the Sumo is a better watch in terms of movement and having owned a Sumo and a Samurai, I think the Sumo has some of the best value for the quality of the finish (the finish of the case on the Sumo is much better than some other dive watches that cost much more), but the measurements of the Sumo and the lugs make it a difficult fit for a lot of folks. I always thought the Sumo line really needed 22mm lugs to match up with the hefty 45mm case. But besides the fit, the Samurai definitely has a retro look going for it.

All that said, I'm often tempted to add a blue Sumo back to my watch box and if I ever can find one of the limited edition white or yellow Sumos at a reasonable price, I would instantly kop that.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the Sumo is a better watch in terms of movement and having owned a Sumo and a Samurai, I think the Sumo has some of the best value for the quality of the finish (the finish of the case on the Sumo is much better than some other dive watches that cost much more), but the measurements of the Sumo and the lugs make it a difficult fit for a lot of folks. I always thought the Sumo line really needed 22mm lugs to match up with the hefty 45mm case. But besides the fit, the Samurai definitely has a retro look going for it.

All that said, I'm often tempted to add a blue Sumo back to my watch box and if I ever can find one of the limited edition white or yellow Sumos at a reasonable price, I would instantly kop that.

The lack of proportion between the size of the Sumo case and the 20 mm lugs/band drove me crazy and into a Shogun. Now that I think of it, I want a blue Shogun to go along with my black one!

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The lack of proportion between the size of the Sumo case and the 20 mm lugs/band drove me crazy and into a Shogun.  Now that I think of it, I want a blue Shogun to go along with my black one!

I love my Shogun and I too bought it as a replacement for the Sumo. The proportions of the case and lugs are infinitely more comfortable than that of the Sumo and the titanium means you never really get that top heavy feeling you get from the Sumo.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How ridiculously comfortable the Shogun is on the wrist is what surprised me the most. I cannot see myself ever growing tired of it.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I miss my shogun. Titanium is so much better than steel.

For those of you curious, you can upgrade the shogun clasp to the titanium ratcheting clasp from the MarineMaster 600. This will give you the ability to adjust the fit on the fly for hot days when your wrist swells, and the clasp remains titanium (versus the MM300 clasp which is steel). In this post I have measurements and pics:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/official-shogun-thread-703783-post7687293.html

Charhan1

Reaction score

Just got this Seiko SNZH55 as a present - love it! Have an Orient Mako USA with a blue face which I love but it's nice to have a black dive watch now too.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike titanium watches, especially dive watches. If I'm gonna wear a chunky dive watch, I want it to feel like a chunky a dive watch, and that includes feeling its weight.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dislike titanium watches, especially dive watches. If I'm gonna wear a chunky dive watch, I want it to feel like a chunky a dive watch, and that includes feeling its weight.

I have both and think that's a good mix. My Oris Aquis has a great, hefty bracelet, but there are some days where I reach for the comfort of my Shogun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads