• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brian SD

Reaction score

In da house.  Seiko Prospex LE. No time for pics yet, web photos below.  This is one seriously sweet dive watch.

large.jpg
large.jpg

The elusive sbdc027. Lovely purchase

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw Halios mentioned in this thread earlier, to anyone interested in their watches I'd highly recommend them! I just got a used Halios Tropik SS and its fantastic. It really scratches my Rolex Explorer II itch.

7042d54056db4706f0bc754ff245106c.jpg

Very nice.

@plot Q: is it a solid 1 piece bezel or does it have a (seperate) bezel insert?

Neognosis

Reaction score

Bought this Seiko monster months ago on the bracelet, which is a fantastic combo, especially for the money. Just received this Seiko rubber from seiya Japan. I think this combo will be my vacation / summer weekend casual watch.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheers. Wristy from this morning. Don't recommend pairing a dive watch with a jacket and tie, but it's new and I'll be wearing the heck out of it regardless.
standard.jpg

Gorgeous watch and one of my favorite newly designed Seiko divers in a while.

As for a diver with a coat and tie I don't think 90% of the people you will encounter will consider it a faux pas anymore as long as it's not some massive diver that is too tall or wide to fit under a sleeve. I wear a diver with a jacket 4 or 5 days a week.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I always wear my diver with a jacket. I guess that doesn't mean it's right, but I don't care and no one else seems to either.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I just went to a wedding where most of the men attending were wearing jacket and tie with G-shocks or timex iron man type watches.

The vast majority of people today are not even aware that there is such a thing as a dress watch.

Most people also think that a dive watch equates to Rolex and therefore is expensive and suitable for dressy events anyway.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I just went to a wedding where most of the men attending were wearing jacket and tie with G-shocks or timex iron man type watches. 

The vast majority of people today are not even aware that there is such a thing as a dress watch.

Most people also think that a dive watch equates to Rolex and therefore is expensive and suitable for dressy events anyway.

Haha, good point! I wear my diver when dressed not because it's expensive, but because it's effin' pretty! lmao

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, that's true, but I think you could make similar statements about most fashion in general. How many people know the difference between open and closed lacing on shoes and could tell you which is more appropriate with a suit? I think people may not be able to express the difference between a dress watch and a casual watch but it doesn't mean that they couldn't notice (perhaps subconsciously) when something is out of place.

That said while a diver probably is a bit out of place with a suit (especially if it's a huge one), it's a relatively minor transgression that's probably outweighed by someone just really liking the watch. I think moreso than other items, watches often have personal meanings to the wearers, so it's easy to overlook one not quite fitting perfectly with the outfit. Not to mention the fact that, given the expense, many men only own one "nice" watch and probably have a desire to wear their best on formal occasions.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Can you guys explain the appeal of a Diver to me? 

I've just never loved the look of them, but they are perpetually popular. 

Also my two JDM Seikos are on the way. Will post some pictures when they arrive probably next week. 

Probably not. Try to explain why you like chocolate ice cream while someone else likes vanilla.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads