• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HanEyeAm

Reaction score
Not that well versed in this since I only know Shinola from their made in Detroit marketing, but what is the source that all the parts are outsourced? Seems to defeat a lot of their advertising.

I haven't been following them recently, but they have always seemed relatively clear about their parts sourcing, albeit their marketing department might take liberties.

The US has very strict laws about what is considered "Made in USA" in comparison to Switzerland and Germany, for example.

Still, although Shinola does not have a Made in USA watch (only RGM can say that, I believe) and is not the only company to do assembly or manufacture cases or other parts in the USA (e.g., Weiss, Minuteman, Kobold), they came in at an impressive scale. The fact that they assemble Swill Ronda quartz ebauche in the US is a bit of a marketing gambit, IMO, but it also is giving them the opportunity to train employees and get the methods down for watchmaking. If they continue to succeed and they feel the need, they will be only a few big machinery purchases away from creating only the second modern Made in USA mechanical watch movement, and at a much larger scale then RGM.

I have no interest in a $550 Shinola, but I do respect what they are doing.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another watch I had been searching for for quite a while: Seiko SKA367 Kinetic. The yellow really pops and it's quite comfortable on the wrist.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you consider that you can pick up some incredibly well made offerings from Steinhart, Stowa and Laco with manual and auto movements and genuine horological heritage at a similar price point? If you really like the watch then that's great, but I think there is better "value" to be had in that price bracket elsewhere.

+1. The Shinola Runwell is an attractive enough watch I suppose, but I can't fathom paying that much for a basic quartz movement. For example, something like the Stowa Partitio has similar styling, plus you get a handwound movement and display back for only a little more than a quartz Shinola Runwell at retail price. The ETA 2824-2 movement in the Stowa is used in a zillion watches so repairs should be relatively easy and inexpensive.

Given their marketing, I actually am sort of surprised Shinola didn't go with a mechanical movement right from the start. They currently feature a link for "Automatic Movement" so they clearly must have something planned: https://www.shinola.com/shop/automatic-movement.html

Last edited:

HanEyeAm

Reaction score

+1. The Shinola Runwell is an attractive enough watch I suppose, but I can't fathom paying that much for a basic quartz movement. For example, something like the Stowa Partitio has similar styling, plus you get a handwound movement and display back for only a little more than a quartz Shinola Runwell at retail price. The ETA 2824-2 movement in the Stowa is used in a zillion watches so repairs should be relatively easy and inexpensive.

Given their marketing, I actually am sort of surprised Shinola didn't go with a mechanical movement right from the start. They currently feature a link for "Automatic Movement" so they clearly must have something planned: https://www.shinola.com/shop/automatic-movement.html

Nice suggestion.

Regardimg automatic movements, I'm guessing that they wanted to hype the assembly in USA but also wanted to start off easier, i.e., the quartz ebauche. I don't think ETA sells ebauche outside of Swatch group anymore, and I wonder if anyone else like Sellita does. I don't think the Japanese companies do so.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just noticing from that link that Shinola offers several of their Runwell models in 47mm(!). I realize that oversized watches are kind of in fashion right now, but that seems fairly ludicrous to me. I can't even wear a 43mm comfortably on my wrist.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, I was just wondering, how often do folks on this thread have their watches serviced, and how much does it typically cost? It occurs to me that, having bought a few used watches with uncertain service history, I should probably be having them serviced shortly after purchase.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also try the German makers Archimede and Muhle Glashutte. Good stuff.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 I find it hard to get excited about any watch company's main offering that is quartz. I have no issues with quartz and even have been looking for a used bond Omega SeMP in quartz, but it just doesn't seem appealing to drop more than a few hundred for a quartz watch. I have two quartz Tissots in my collection right now and it's great when you can just pick them up to wear.

BTW, I was just wondering, how often do folks on this thread have their watches serviced, and how much does it typically cost?  It occurs to me that, having bought a few used watches with uncertain service history, I should probably be having them serviced shortly after purchase.
Only when broken. I've had three watches serviced/repaired so far. A Marina Militaire (I think a $75 fix with the main spring), full service for a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical ($175), and a full service for an Omega Seamaster GMT ($450).

The Hamilton is broken again, so need to get that serviced again.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just noticing from that link that Shinola offers several of their Runwell models in 47mm(!).  I realize that oversized watches are kind of in fashion right now, but that seems fairly ludicrous to me.  I can't even wear a 43mm comfortably on my wrist.

Due to the way the lugs are set on the Shinola trust me the watch sits very comfortably on the wrist, yes depending on the size of your wrist the 47 may be too big but they also offer the same watch in a 41mm size and even a 38mm.
I have the 47mm and the watches sit very comfortably on my 7.5inch wrist, my son has a much smaller size wrist and wears a PAM88 everyday but surprisingly he found the 47mm Shinola much more comfortable on his wrist also.

I just hope they go for a hand wound mechanical movement also, that is wishful thinking as I am not a great fan for automatic watches but absolutely love hand wound watches.

plot

Reaction score
I saw Halios mentioned in this thread earlier, to anyone interested in their watches I'd highly recommend them! I just got a used Halios Tropik SS and its fantastic. It really scratches my Rolex Explorer II itch.

7042d54056db4706f0bc754ff245106c.jpg

Elessar

Reaction score
I saw Halios mentioned in this thread earlier, to anyone interested in their watches I'd highly recommend them! I just got a used Halios Tropik SS and its fantastic. It really scratches my Rolex Explorer II itch.

7042d54056db4706f0bc754ff245106c.jpg

Sweet, looks great! Can you share a photo of the dome-curvature of the crystal?

I've been eyeing this same exact model (my favourite variant) for a while (I don't own a diver), but I think I'll go with Aevig's Huldra instead (when it's back in stock or somebody decides to part with theirs... sigh).

Last edited:

plot

Reaction score

Sweet, looks great! Can you share a photo of the dome-curvature of the crystal?

I've been eyeing this same exact model (my favourite variant) for a while (I don't own a diver), but I think I'll go with Aevig's Huldra instead (when it's back in stock or somebody decides to part with theirs... sigh).

For some reason I can't submit a pic, but I did find this online, my watch has the same dome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads