• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a squale for awhile. Thoughts? They're great looking dive watches.

I agree, they are great looking - especially the 1521/50 Atmos series and the new limited edition Tigers. If I were interested in the 20 Atmos series, I think I'd be more inclined to go with something from Steinhart. I know Squale has more history behind them than Steinhart but the 20 Atmos (to me anyway) is basically a Submariner homage. It's a classic design anyway you slice it but I think Steinhart offers a value that cannot be beat with their Ocean Vintage series.

As for my two 50 Atmos watches - when I got the blue one early last year the bezel was slightly misaligned and it had a bit of play in it. Over time, it seems to have tightened up considerably and the misalignment is nowhere near as noticeable... or I've just gotten used to it. I was told by the retailer (Island Watches) that I could exchange it but it was going to be at least a 4 month wait on more of the matte blue "Opaco" version to become available so I didn't bother.

My blue one also came with what feels like the cheapest rubber strap and buckle I have ever handled. It was seriously awful. I didn't care too much though as I had gotten a free mesh bracelet with it and it's one of the nicest mesh bracelets I've worn. It's very robust and heavy duty yest still comfortable. My only complaint with the bracelet is that the pins are teeny tiny and I was unable to adjust it on my own. I've seen a lot of people complain about the straps on the 50 Atmos on WUS and the black PVD one that I just got came with a much nicer strap with a bit heavier duty of a buckle. I also noticed that if you buy a new blue 50 Atmos from most retailers they now come with a color-matched blue rubber strap where my old one had a black strap so maybe Squale has updated and improved the straps all around?

The only real complaint I have that carries over from my older one to my newer one is that the crown is too small. It makes it difficult to initially unscrew it to set the time/date. It does however screw back in very very smoothly.

This black PVD one was a spur of the moment purchase. I've really been trying to keep an eye out for a vintage Squale that was made for either Doxa or Tag Heuer (I'd REALLY like a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms with the Squale branding but the few that pop up occasionally are way more than I'd want to spend).

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was supposed to be laying off the watches, but I couldn't pass up the price on this one:

Paid just under $300 for this. Photos really exaggerate the scratches on the case (can really barely notice unless you're looking for them in person) which probably explains why it went for so low. I'm not an expert on these things, though. Just happy because I've been eyeing a Tag but thought they were out of my price range.

Brian SD

Reaction score

I remembered I had another NATO in a drawer in my desk. The watch is definitely very light and comfortable on a NATO.

Next to an MM300:

That looks really great. I actually prefer the Shogun to the MM in general. The bezel shape in particular really suits the dial.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday afternoon, I stopped into a menswear boutique in Brooklyn that is having a going-out-of-business sale, and that exact watch was 50% off, or $300. I'm looking for a watch with a black face and a tan or brown strap, and this certainly fits the bill, but I had been looking for an automatic. Trying to decide if its worthwhile to drop $300 on something that wasn't my *first* choice.

Wow! $ 300 is a great price for the watch, we are not that lucky here in the UK , please can you email me the name of the shop so I can buy a few more at that price, I am looking for one for my wife but we get no discount here in the UK on them.

I am not a great fan of automatic watches but absolutely love manual wind watches.

Here is another fine example

Last edited:

tennisguru

Reaction score
^^^ Even at $300 that seems a touch expensive for a watch powered by a movement that sells at retail for around £5 and with dials that come from Taiwan, from a company who bought the name of a shoe polish manufacturer?

When you consider that you can pick up some incredibly well made offerings from Steinhart, Stowa and Laco with manual and auto movements and genuine horological heritage at a similar price point? If you really like the watch then that's great, but I think there is better "value" to be had in that price bracket elsewhere.

Last edited:

HanEyeAm

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, I stopped into a menswear boutique in Brooklyn that is having a going-out-of-business sale, and that exact watch was 50% off, or $300. I'm looking for a watch with a black face and a tan or brown strap, and this certainly fits the bill, but I had been looking for an automatic. Trying to decide if its worthwhile to drop $300 on something that wasn't my *first* choice.

Wow! $ 300 is a great price for the watch, we are not that lucky here in the UK , please can you email me the name of the shop so I can buy a few more at that price, I am looking for one for my wife but we get no discount here in the UK on them.

I am not a great fan of automatic watches but absolutely love manual wind watches.

Here is another fine example

If you like the look and the assembled in America stuff, then go for it. The Horween strap and other features add value, and per eBay it looks like you would get your money back if you decide to sell.

But I agree with tennisguru- there are other, more interesting automatic and manual watches (Sea Gull and Tissell have some neat hand wind stuff from China and Korea for less) at $300.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ Even at $300 that seems a touch expensive for a watch powered by a movement that sells at retail for around £5 and with dials that come from Taiwan, from a company who bought the name of a shoe polish manufacturer?

When you consider that you can pick up some incredibly well made offerings from Steinhart, Stowa and Laco with manual and auto movements and genuine horological heritage at a similar price point? If you really like the watch then that's great, but I think there is better "value" to be had in that price bracket elsewhere.

I agree that the watch may not even be worth a value of 2 pounds but the problem is that I have owned and worn watches worth with a value of over fifty thousand dollars that do not look and feel that good! These are my first quartz watches ever and sadly I have to say they keep time much better then the other expensive watches that I have!

A friend of mine bought a Rolex with a few diamonds in them and even if he were to pay me everyday to wear that watch I would not be able to do so, it looks so stupid IMHO but everyone for himself if he loves it so why not.

I know they are cheaply made quartz watches but I just like the way they feel and look on the wrist plus trust me they way the straps have been made are much much better then on some of the top makes I have had.

My friends and family are a bit concerned about my state of mind LOL! as I would never touch anything if it were not a PP, VC, AP, L&S or IWC now 90% of the time I wear this cheap watch LOL

Please don't get me wrong I love watches and hopefully my next watch will be a Breguet but I have to wait until I have $ 30.000 to spare, in the meantime I will have to do with this.(**** form Shinola!)

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more shot of the PVD Squale, this time alongside the matte blue version.

Just now discovering this brand after seeing your photo. The matte blue is just splendid. Thanks for sharing man.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not that well versed in this since I only know Shinola from their made in Detroit marketing, but what is the source that all the parts are outsourced? Seems to defeat a lot of their advertising.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not that well versed in this since I only know Shinola from their made in Detroit marketing, but what is the source that all the parts are outsourced? Seems to defeat a lot of their advertising. 

For watches, the "made in the USA" part is, mostly, the straps:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shinola was recently slapped by the FTC over their marketing and branding: FTC Takes Major Action Against Shinola

Shinola's response: An Open Letter from Shinola Founder Tom Kartsotis

FWIW, I live in Metro Detroit and see a lot of people wearing Shinola watches and have handled them many many times. I really like the design and the build quality of the watches that I've handled, however, as others have stated, the movement is just bottom of the barrel quartz. I have nothing against quartz (I'm wearing a quartz watch today!) but there are many higher quality ones that they should be able to put into their watches for what they charge.

Even though I like their designs I always thought their marketing was pretty deceptive and am glad that the FTC is finally pushing back.

All that said, their bicycles on the other hand, are very very nice and made almost entirely in the U.S. They're still too expensive though and I'm always keeping an eye on Craigslist for somebody selling one near me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads