• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Jayess

Hamilton do make some nice simple watches - something from the Jazzmaster line might meet your requirements nicely. There are more "classic" looking Tissots than the one you linked. Maybe something like this? Also available with silver dial, and plenty of alternatives. But a real Swiss auto watch with classic styling like this is a bargain at $350. I really like Tissot's brand and value at the price point.

If you can go as high as $1k and like the retro feel, I'd say get your Bauhaus on: the Stowa Antea is a great looking watch for that kind of money, and you have some different sizes depending on your preference. Or a little cheaper, check out Junghans' Max Bill range. The German Bauhaus thing is pretty hot at the moment, and has stood the test of time just fine for the last eighty years.
Or how about going a little left field? Rectangular watches aren't for everyone, but this has a design going back to the 40s, and two different sizes of auto on strap or bracelet, just in your budget: Baume & Mercier is quite an august brand to fall into the PWM price bracket, too.

As is Longines - not many auto watches in your price range, but some nice ones. Frederique Constant has some good value too, though I find their designs a little derivative. Still, classic is never wrong.

Good luck, and be sure to post what you end up with.

Jayess

Reaction score
@Jayess

Hamilton do make some nice simple watches - something from the Jazzmaster line might meet your requirements nicely. There are more "classic" looking Tissots than the one you linked. Maybe something like this? Also available with silver dial, and plenty of alternatives. But a real Swiss auto watch with classic styling like this is a bargain at $350. I really like Tissot's brand and value at the price point.

If you can go as high as $1k and like the retro feel, I'd say get your Bauhaus on: the Stowa Antea is a great looking watch for that kind of money, and you have some different sizes depending on your preference. Or a little cheaper, check out Junghans' Max Bill range. The German Bauhaus thing is pretty hot at the moment, and has stood the test of time just fine for the last eighty years.
Or how about going a little left field? Rectangular watches aren't for everyone, but this has a design going back to the 40s, and two different sizes of auto on strap or bracelet, just in your budget: Baume & Mercier is quite an august brand to fall into the PWM price bracket, too.

As is Longines - not many auto watches in your price range, but some nice ones. Frederique Constant has some good value too, though I find their designs a little derivative. Still, classic is never wrong.

Good luck, and be sure to post what you end up with.

Thanks mimo for the suggestions, I can tell watches are a passion of yours! The Stowa's look nice however, are out of my budget (I am based in Canada where our dollar is struggling). I really do like the Junghan Max Bill's simple and clean white background, as well as some of the other simpler Tissot and Hamilton Thinomatic models. I was wondering though if there is a difference in quality between those brands - whether there's a preference for Germany vs Swiss made, or if there is some agreed upon brand-quality hierarchy for the $500-1k range? I can find similar styles in a lot of these brands though would like to pick one that's most reputable for their watchmaking quality (which I am not knowledgeable of). Or is this all subjective where quality is all the same and I should just pick whichever brand is most aesthetically pleasing to me?

Don Murray

Reaction score
Hi All - I have a budget of around $500-$1000 and am looking for an automatic, business/dress watch which I would wear casually on weekends as well. I'd want a simple, clean face with sort of a 1950's vintage look and preferably as thin as possible (or about as thin as an automatic watch can get). The below Rado watch is pretty much the style I'm looking for. I've also included a Hamilton and Tissot example as well though these ones look a tad sportier than I'd like. I'm also new to which brands are more reputable/reliable/best quality etc...so I was wondering what you guys can recommend in terms of best value/brand for my particular style and price range?

Rado:

http://www.amazon.com/Rado-R2286001...8&qid=1439235904&sr=8-2&keywords=rado+coupole

Hamilton:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Spir...d=1439235809&sr=1-1&keywords=HAMILTON+liberty

Tissot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ode=as2&tag=ask06d-20&linkId=UCDE6IAVWSV3VSP6
I have the Tissot. It's awesome! Not too big and so beautiful! I actually got it after seeing Jimmy Stewart wearing a similar Tissot in Rear Window. I find it works well both dressy and more casual. Here's a quick shot of it:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tissot visodate is pretty close to what you're looking for, but it is not a thin watch. It's thicker than my other automatics. For under $1,000 you're on the right brands. You can also get into some grey market B&M, Frederique Constante, Raymond Weil, etc. They usually contain a basic Swiss movement, but can look really good and retro.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Jayess , you're welcome!

Of the models I suggested, I think Stowa have really excellent cases and finishing, and they're a touch more expensive as a result. But there are no poor quality watches there. The Tissot stands out to me as particularly good value: it really looks and feels quite a serious watch, despite being the cheapest of the bunch. Anyway, go with what really pleases you and suits you: all of these watches have a lot in common.

Basically, all of the watches I mentioned are pretty much the same under the skin: they use one version or another of a Swiss-made mechanical movement from a company called ETA. The movement says a lot about the quality of a watch, and although ETA movements are extremely common, they are well proven and used in many watches that are a lot more expensive than these. There are different grades of ETA movements, and different companies also modify them in different ways from the basic incomplete "ebauche" that they buy. But basically, if you see "ETA movement" on the description, you know you're starting at a very respectable baseline.

The supply of ETA movements is now shrinking gradually, so the likes of Stowa and Junghans are having to start looking elsewhere, and we'll see where they end up. Some will have to go down market. Others, like Baume and Mercier, will start making their own movements and the price will go up accordingly. But Tissot and Hamilton belong to the same parent company as ETA (as do Longines, Rado, Certina etc., also using ETA-based movments), so will not be changing any time soon.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Jayess : another contender for you might be Archimede. They are another German company, rather cheaper than Stowa, but also with a good reputation. They are owned by Ickler, a company that makes cases for a lot of other makers, so they are very well made.

Take a look at the "Klassik" which uses a Selitta movement - another Swiss company that essentially makes movements based on copyright-expired ETA models; nothing wrong with it. Also the "1950s", which uses a mechanical movement from Citizen. That's Japanese of course, so less snob value than a "Swiss watch", but they have a good reputation for reliability. Either of these are very suit-worthy at 39mm, and come in about C$750. Or perhaps even the "Deck Watch", a classic German style from the 20s and 30s, this one with an ETA movement, though it's a little large as a dress watch at 42mm. If you cen get it under your shirt sleeve, it's a really attractive watch for casual wear too, looks very classy with those heat-blued hands, and still runs about C$900.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Tissot. It's awesome! Not too big and so beautiful! I actually got it after seeing Jimmy Stewart wearing a similar Tissot in Rear Window. I find it works well both dressy and more casual. Here's a quick shot of it:
Nice watch, don. Do you play?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Jayess
 , you're welcome!  

Of the models I suggested, I think Stowa have really excellent cases and finishing, and they're a touch more expensive as a result.  But there are  no poor quality watches there.  The Tissot stands out to me as particularly good  value: it really looks and feels quite a serious watch, despite being the cheapest of the bunch.  Anyway, go with what really pleases you and suits you: all of these watches have a lot in common.

Basically, all of the watches I mentioned are pretty much the same under the skin: they use one version or another of a Swiss-made mechanical movement from a company called ETA.  The movement says a lot about the quality of a watch, and although ETA movements are extremely common, they are well proven and used in many watches that are a lot more expensive than these.  There are different grades of ETA movements, and different companies also modify them in different ways from the basic incomplete "ebauche" that they buy.  But basically, if you see "ETA movement" on the description, you know you're starting at a very respectable baseline.

The supply of ETA movements is now shrinking gradually, so the likes of Stowa and Junghans are having to start looking elsewhere, and we'll see where they end up.  Some will have to go down market.  Others, like Baume and Mercier, will start making their own movements and the price will go up accordingly. But Tissot and Hamilton belong to the same parent company as ETA (as do Longines, Rado, Certina etc., also using ETA-based movments), so will not be changing any time soon.

Exactly right. Those watch companies incapable (or unwilling) to make their own movements will no doubt start moving to Selitta and Soprod for their Swiss movements once the ETA "ban" takes full effect.

Jayess

Reaction score
Thanks all for the guidance, I have a good idea now of which brands to look out for. Next step is to find some retailers here in Toronto that carry these in store so I can try them out. Just of curiosity, how much would servicing these automatic watches cost - round $50-100 bucks every 5 years or so?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, got this SeaGull flywheel from Mass Drop today. It's kinda fugly, but I can dig it.
Can wear with funkier casual fits.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gents, got this SeaGull flywheel from Mass Drop today. It's kinda fugly, but I can dig it.
Can wear with funkier casual fits.

Not ugly at all IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads