• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Phew... If Grand Seiko and Rolex are poor man's watches, I don't even want to know what I'm considered.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Well, Grand Seiko was mentioned earlier in the thread so I thought it should be appropriate. And besides, the OP started the thread with Omega!

I think the other thread seems to be for high ends such as PP anyways...
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the other thread is for ALL watches, rich or poor. This thread is just for poor watches, which we've previously loosely described as anything under $1,000. So, no Rolexes et al here.

DP92

Reaction score
SS Rolex are pretty much a poor mans watch...if it isn't then what is it classified as? It certainly isn't a rich mans watch

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
SS Rolex are pretty much a poor mans watch...if it isn't then what is it classified as? It certainly isn't a rich mans watch

From what TheWraith says, it seems the criterion for this thread is sub-$1000 watches (I presume in today's currency).

Interestingly, Rolex didn't start out with the image it has today of being a rich man's watch... its reputation was built on being a quality, durable, practical watch that resisted the elements and would be reliable even under extreme environments, and although never cheap yet it was still within reasonable affordability of the working middle class.

Perhaps this thread should just be merged with the other to prevent confusion
confused.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There should be no confusion. Just use your common sense (and my above post as a rough guide) and all will be well.

And yes, feel free to x-post your watches here in the TWAT thread if you so desire.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about buying a Hamilton for my first entry level decent watch. Done a bit of research, and pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of the two above - just having a tough time deciding which. I want a watch that will still have a place in the collection when I start upgrading years down the road.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about buying a Hamilton for my first entry level decent watch. Done a bit of research, and pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of the two above - just having a tough time deciding which. I want a watch that will still have a place in the collection when I start upgrading years down the road.

As long as you really like it, it'll generally still have a place in your rotation.

westie187

Reaction score
I picked this up about a year ago, one my favorites in my collection:[ATTACHMENT=10380]image.jpg (64k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

You won't be disappointed with a Hamilton.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they make a 36mm or smaller Hamilton? I need it to take an 18mm strap.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, buy what you like.

However, I will say that the first option (field khaki) is probably more classic than the second watch you posted. While I happen to like that second one, it seems fairly stylized, which could make it a little less versatile and you may look at it differently as your style develops over time.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the first one more as well. I own the field auto chrono. i've had it for 5 years and still dig it.

They can be had pretty reasonably on the used market so I'd give that a go as well if you're not opposed to it.

Last edited:

caspersauer

Reaction score
I have the orange version and it is awesome.

Thanks Grayland, Mimo , et al. I called a few ADs in LA but nobody seems to have much inventory. But I think I've figured out a way to see the Monster and compare it to other watches in person before fully committing: "Fulfilled by Amazon, Free Returns".

I've found 9 watches that qualify. Each looks nice in photos, has good specs, and has solid reviews. It will have to wait until I'm back from LA, but I'll probably order all of these and see which I like best in person:

7s26:
SKX007J1
SKX013K
SKX013K2
SKX171
SKX173
SKX779K3 ("Black Monster")
SKZ329 ("Stargate")

4r36:
SRP307 ("Black Monster")
SRP313 ("Dracula Monster")

I'll post some pictures when I have them all here. I like the idea of hacking and handwinding on the 4r36 movement, but don't know how useful that is with a screw-down crown... I like the idea of the modding options with the 7s26 movement, but don't know that I'd take advantage of it. I'll probably keep the one that feels and looks right to me.

PS -- I don't mind seeing more expensive watches in this thread, but posters probably shouldn't be surprised if there's not much enthusiasm or conversation for them here.

PPS -- lmaozedong -- I also prefer the image of the first Hamilton (with the plain bezel, white numbers, and red-tipped second hand) but you should go with the one that speaks to you. Have you worn both?

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help y'all. Just bought the Khaki Field (first one), super pumped to get it in. I haven't tried the second one and probably wouldn't even have considered it - but I was inspired to get a Hamilton watch by the movie Interstellar and it's the closest thing you can get to Murph's watch right now, which I think looks great:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads