• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score

Here's my cheapy Skagen. For a student strapped for cash, I think it looks nice for $40.

noremac

Reaction score
I recently purchased one of Kent Wang's Bauhaus watches. The watch was $350 for a fully automatic watch, and easily the most beautifully designed timepiece I've ever laid eyes on. Unfortunately, the first watch I received did not keep time and was replaced, but alas, the replacement was also defective and I was issued a refund.

Lesson learned: "made in China" is what it sounds like. Despite the beautiful design, the Chinese manufactured movement is not worth the money saved in purchasing a budget watch.

In the meantime, my $40 Timex Weekender keeps ticking along.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Let us know how the SD fits. I have wanted one for eons, just have been nervous to pop my micro cherry.

ErikW

Reaction score
I have one of these bad larrys en route. Uses a Sea-Gull ST17 movement. For a $120 seems like a solid watch.

Anyone know where I can get that strap? Or have any suggestions for good watch strap websites?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think of the Sarb 017 Alpinist?

I took advantage of a relatively weak ¥ a couple months ago and picked up the SARB017 and love it. The emerald green dial is a real stunner in the sunlight and the watch goes great in just about any situation. My only complaint is that the tang on the band seems sort of chintzy and out of place for the watch (which if it were not for the weak yen, would probably be one step above the "poor man's watches" category).

(Too much glare in the photo, but a great looking watch regardless)

I've got a beautiful Helson 40mm Shark Diver on its way.

I love these Helson's. I think these are probably at the very upper limits of what should be considered a poor man's watch (unless you get a great deal on one). Every time I check them out, I am very impressed with the specs for cost and they seem to have some of the best lum.

plot

Reaction score

Nice. Let us know how the SD fits. I have wanted one for eons, just have been nervous to pop my micro cherry.
From what I've heard the lugs make them wear a bit large, but I'm hoping the 40mm version will go well with my 6.75" wrist.
I have one of these bad larrys en route. Uses a Sea-Gull ST17 movement. For a $120 seems like a solid watch. Anyone know where I can get that strap? Or have any suggestions for good watch strap websites?
What a coincidence, that's actually a photo I took a few days ago :slayer: I got the leather NATO from cheapestnatostraps.com; the strap is very comfy, but the leather may be a bit thin for some.
I took advantage of a relatively weak ¥ a couple months ago and picked up the SARB017 and love it. The emerald green dial is a real stunner in the sunlight and the watch goes great in just about any situation. My only complaint is that the tang on the band seems sort of chintzy and out of place for the watch (which if it were not for the weak yen, would probably be one step above the "poor man's watches" category).
(Too much glare in the photo, but a great looking watch regardless) I love these Helson's. I think these are probably at the very upper limits of what should be considered a poor man's watch (unless you get a great deal on one). Every time I check them out, I am very impressed with the specs for cost and they seem to have some of the best lum.
Excellent Seiko, I've always been a fan of the SARB collection. As for the Helson, I was indeed able to get quite a discount buying used ;) I received a Seiko SNZH60 yesterday, and what a fantastic watch it is. Came on a gold bracelet but I thought it was a bit blingy, so I swapped it with a black NATO. I think it definitely helps tone down the "bling" factor.

ErikW

Reaction score
Good taste! Thanks for the suggestions!
From what I've heard the lugs make them wear a bit large, but I'm hoping the 40mm version will go well with my 6.75" wrist.
What a coincidence, that's actually a photo I took a few days ago
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I got the leather NATO from cheapestnatostraps.com; the strap is very comfy, but the leather may be a bit thin for some.
Excellent Seiko, I've always been a fan of the SARB collection. As for the Helson, I was indeed able to get quite a discount buying used
wink.gif

I received a Seiko SNZH60 yesterday, and what a fantastic watch it is. Came on a gold bracelet but I thought it was a bit blingy, so I swapped it with a black NATO. I think it definitely helps tone down the "bling" factor.

plot

Reaction score
Beautiful mod! That seconds hand really stands out nicely.

My Helson 40mm Shark Diver arrived in the mail yesterday:

It's one of the most beautiful watches I've ever handled; I may like it even more than my Steinhart OVM.

Before buying I was weary that the watch would wear a bit big; although only 40mm (pretty much my idea size), it was advertised as quite chunk and thus harder to pull off. I was however very pleasantly relieved when I tried it on, it wears almost exactly the same as my other 40mm divers; the lugs make the case slightly larger, but at a distance they only serve to add a tool-like quality to the watch instead of increasing the perceived size.

Here's my Steinhart OVM to offer size comparison (Steinhart is 42mm):

I wrote a short review on the watch here if anyone is interested. For the price Helson offers quite an amazing watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads