• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

medugal

Reaction score
Alpha *** Explorer II with white face. Best money I've spent on a watch ever- I don't care if it lasts me two years, considering the price I paid for it!

CyanideDragon

Reaction score
I love g-shocks. This is my recent pick-up:

imagebqr.jpg

These are my others g-shocks:
imageobt.jpg

imagevb.jpg

These are fine if you're being active and as an everyday watch.

discreteuniverse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Just seems sorta phoney and pretentious (bling-bling) to wear a diver's watch if you're not a diver in mid-dive. My two cents.

Nah. I'd say say I'm paranoid of water getting in my watch. People wear aviator sunglasses when they aren't pilots, people carry officer issue swiss army knives when they aren't officers in the swiss army...so it doesn't really matter.

Originally Posted by CyanideDragon
I love g-shocks.

These are fine if you're being active and as an everyday watch.

I like some of the unusual G-shocks, like my purple 5600, and the white one you displayed above. But I'm not a fan of the plain black ones.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
If you're actually poor, I think the SMP is just fine and no need to "upgrade" to the PO for another G. It's a lovely watch, but I think what you've got (I have one myself although on the bracelet you see on the PO, which I definitely prefer) is a great watch.

Ha. I'm good - I was trying to poke fun at the fact that whenever I look at a Rolex or something like that the salespeople are like, "wouldn't you want to upgrade from Omega???"!

Thank you for the on-point advice. I get the sense that the smp is more classic and I'm sticking to my guns. I just started swimming with it more, really using it, and I've found a deeper appreciation. I want both now - SMP and a PO. Rolexs are beautiful but a bit stodgy for me.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
How about carrying a briefcase if you aren't hauling a stack of briefs on your way to court?

Sometimes things have aesthetic and/or practical uses beyond their original intentions.

It's hard for me to see it that way since the only time I use a briefcase is when I'm carrying briefs to court.

Originally Posted by discreteuniverse
Nah. I'd say say I'm paranoid of water getting in my watch. People wear aviator sunglasses when they aren't pilots, people carry officer issue swiss army knives when they aren't officers in the swiss army...so it doesn't really matter.

I suppose if I lived where there are regular soaking rainstorms I'd have some sympathy for hydrophobia...but I don't...so I don't.

People are always going to rationalize irrational acts. Wearing a pocketwatch on your wrist is still bling bling and it's still a silly fad. But hey -- if it fills you with confidence so you hit on girls at the nightclub, go for it.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SD1
I like this one. What model is it?

Thanks! I don't know it was a gift.
EDIT: Here's the model number(?) from the back (if it helps) 26588BR

So, here's my Stührling Automatic:

stuhrling_01.jpg

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
what model is this? I really like it

Thanks! Model T2N107.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Thanks! I don't know it was a gift.

So, here's my Stührling Automatic:

stuhrling_01.jpg

I thought this was the poor mans watch thread??
1159[1].gif

lol AWESOME watch though....

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
I thought this was the poor mans watch thread??
1159[1].gif

lol AWESOME watch though....

HAHA! Cheers and it cost me less than $100!

tsmurfenator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
1k for a watch hardly qualifies as poor man.

both are great choices at that level though.

I was under the impression that Seamasters were quite a bit more than $1K.

What is the actual retail price range for the low end to mid-range?
I've had horrible luck locating this info online.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about going vintage? You can get a nice vintage watch between $200 and $2000 and you will have something a lot more interesting than another damn Seamaster.

My current favorite is a 1957 14k LeCoultre Master Mariner with a 887 movement.

Watch in very nice condition: $1,000
Complete service at a vintage watchmaker: $350
Croc. strap: $100
Solid gold buckle for watch band $120

So, for for less than $1600, I have a solid gold vintage watch that has a lot more going for it (IMHO) than something new, is a conversation piece, and will not lose its value.

I would check out the vintage section of watchuseek before purchasing anything though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads