• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Aquastar “Model 60” arrived a few weeks ago and has barely left my wrist since then. The 37mm case is just about perfectly sized for me.

IMG_5313.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg

IMG_5316.jpeg

idlerich

Reaction score
Thinking about watches and what counts as rich/poor or cheap/expensive etc reminds me of the following... er, anecdote type thing... I'm not really saying that it has any particular meaning as such, but it feels illustrative of something or other... but it's long and rambling, maybe boring I dunno, I won't blame you if you can't be arsed to read it.

When my granddad died he left me his watch, this one

I was, I dunno, seventeen years old and so, although it's not any kind of super expensive watch, it was completely different from anything I'd owned before. Or even seen. He was not an especially wealthy or flashy guy and to me it seemed as though it had somehow come from out of another world to him and then to me.

I saw it as an artefact of unimaginable value in its own right, enhanced somehow even further by it having been his.

So much so in fact that I was terrified of losing or damaging it. I never wore it except for on the most special of occasions; when I went to university I didn't take it with me, just left it in a drawer at my parents' house and essentially forgot it existed for the best part of a decade.

Then when I was maybe thirty or so I decided this was silly. I was a grown man, or as much as I ever would be. I decided to wear it regularly and dug it out of its resting place... only thing was, it had stopped running.

I hoped that it just needed a bit of a clean, maybe take it apart and dust it and put it back together and then - I prayed - it would be as good as ever.

At that point I was living near Oxford and there was a posh watch place there so I took it for them to have a butchers...

I went in and showed it to some slimy prick who worked there. To my horror he said something along the lines of "Well it's not a great watch, I'll have a go if you like but no guarantee it will work and it will cost you four hundred quid - I wouldn't bother".

At the time I was pretty upset, the watch meant a lot to me.... and even now looking back, the way he spoke makes no sense. Sure he had no way of knowing that it had sentimental value to me, but insulting your customer's stuff just doesn't seem a great tactic. Put it this way, I've never been back there.

So I was at a bit of a loss as to my next step - but I'd just started seeing this girl and she had an idea. It turned out she'd had a crappy watch that broke, and when she took it to a local watch shop they'd said "can't be fixed, chuck it away, buy one of ours" and she was gonna do just that until on her lunch break she walked past this Indian shop on or near to Petticoat Lane with a sign outside saying "watch repairs" - she thought she had nothing to lose and she showed the guy the broken watch saying she'd been told there was no way to fix it - guy looked at it and laughed, told her he could fix it. She asked when she should come back for it and he said "I've already done it" and handed her the perfectly working watch!

So, same as her, nothing to lose, took my grandad's omega to this run down looking East End shop... and basically after that smug little shitstain in Oxford the guy here totally restored my faith in humanity. The contrast could not have been more pronounced at every stage, most importantly of course when it came to the watch. The other guy was a zombie in an expensive suit who obviously couldn't give a flying **** about watches - whereas this guy has a genuine love for what he was doing.

Straight away he was talking excitedly about the chance to work on a 'proper' watch, he promised that he would take it home, take it apart and clean every component, documenting every stage with photos etc etc

And he did just that - couple of weeks later I had the watch back gleaming like new, running like, er, clockwork and loads of photos of the insides - he charged me seventy quid for the whole thing.

So... I guess I still don't know if Omega is an expensive watch or not...

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_001605549~2.jpg
    IMG_20230629_001605549~2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 64

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very attractive, the Serica Antimagnetic Diving Chronometer Crystal Blue, especially on this custom off-white rubber strap.

View attachment 1982823

I had never even heard of Serica until recently when somebody offered me one in a trade towards my Synchron Military PVD. I didn't particularly care for the model I was being offered but I really like some of the Serica the more I look into them.

nevaeh

Reaction score
These are two very different watches, but any preference between a Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 (35 mm, blue dial) and a Tudor 1926 (36 mm, white dial)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads