• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please read IF you enjoy discounts

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
It's about time that SF moved away from EG anyways, their quality has been going downhill.

I stopped being interested once I found out I could get it on sale.

boxing[1].gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
It's never a good deal for a StyleForumite unless you pay them to take your clothing...and they'd still want pit to pit.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^LOL
Good seeing you at teh shows. I hope it s wasa productive for you and your colleagues.

I go to sleep and the thread has gone bonkers.

fashion is an art form. There is no ryhme or reason to why a designer does what he does.
In the case of EG they want to protect "THEIR" brand and do what "THEY" think it right.
I have to agree with them. The want people to appreciate thier product and brand for what they represent not just because it is a cool brand.
Now if people would just shut the **** up the consumer could of had thier cake and ate it to.

on anothr side note nathan and I will be in WEB training so our web site can launch next week and yes there will be a discount code!

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I go to sleep and the thread has gone bonkers.

Your thread touched the nerve of all EG fanboys, econ101 students and marketing buffs.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My local B&M where I buy all my Fred Perry doesnt believe in sales. Everything is full retail 365 days. As a result the older stock that hasnt sold becomes rare deadstock and in a sense maybe even more valuable than current gear since it isn't made anymore in those designs. This business model actually works well for them

Personally I would like to know that if I want product A it costs $XXX, and regardless of where I go to buy it it's always $XXX. But I'm in the minority that prefers to buy a few select items at full retail when all options are available than wait for sales when I have to let availability dictate how I will look.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jason I wish that was the case. Did you see my new fred perry stuff?

Just to throw a wrench in the mix. Go look at the affiliates prices on the same things. some are the same, some are close, and some are way the **** off.
personally I don't give a **** . I want people to shop with me and I want to help my customer as much as I can with out being taken advantage of. I need to provide for my family.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
My local B&M where I buy all my Fred Perry doesnt believe in sales. Everything is full retail 365 days. As a result the older stock that hasnt sold becomes rare deadstock and in a sense maybe even more valuable than current gear since it isn't made anymore in those designs. This business model actually works well for them
Sounds like a variation of the Alan Bilzerian model, which yeah, results in a very interesting product mix from various seasons.

Personally I would like to know that if I want product A it costs $XXX, and regardless of where I go to buy it it's always $XXX. But I'm in the minority that prefers to buy a few select items at full retail when all options are available than wait for sales when I have to let availability dictate how I will look.
But as you know, unless the designer is super powerful, like Ralph Lauren, and can essentially dictate that the MSRP be the retail price, this will never happen, since markups vary from retailer to retailer, and some retailers will even mark up different brands differently.

I am a little like you, but probably less radically so, in my consumption habits. I buy about 2/3 of my gear at full freight or with a retailer discount, and only about 1/3 of my gear (usually basics like jeans and thermals or accessories bought on a whim) at sale time. Occasionally, I will also pick up a bigger ticket item, like a piece of outerwear that I hadn't been able to afford at retail, but those are just perks, and I do not depend on those.

From the stores I frequent regularly, I do look at the discounts that I get as a nice perk, and they do help to make me feel "special", so I do think that they serve a useful purpose. Unless the purchase was an "on the verge" purchase, they are unlikely to change my decision to buy or not to buy, but they they make me more likely to look to that retailer first when I am making future purchases.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Well I have a two-fold strategy where:

1)I'll have items from old seasons or that come up on ebay, Y! and sz/sufu sales thread and wait for them and grab if the price is good.

2) A go to stores and purchase, if it's on sale good but I would have bought it full prices and it's just random luck that I didn't find it before so now I'm saving some $.

To me the quality of a store buy and it's overall vision is important so it makes sense to pay for that. Boutiques often have slightly higher prices but their buys are usually much better, there is value in that.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RW- I think that is smart.

as the thread mutates I just want to remind everyone read the first page and the affiliates on this forum are here to help you so don't ******* blow it!

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
I've decided that I'm going to make an effort this season to buy at full retail. Minimize my purchases and just try and grab a few things that I love.

+1. sometimes after a season i look at my clothes and realize what pieces haven't gotten much wear, if any.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am just waiting for discounts...don't see a pt in paying for unreasonably marked up prices..

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ are you serious. do you have any idea about what goes into making certain clothing or the margins that are involved.
Don't be a **** head for the sake of being a **** head. Go to H and M !!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Mauro, we can't all afford full retail. I for one don't really buy any clothes at full price, unless they are MTM where you can't really get a discount of any sort. If I bought all my clothes at full retail, I would be buying much less, much much less...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom