• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please evaluate my new jeans vs. my old ones

CarllraC

Reaction score
Based on advice from this forum I went kinda cheap on my new jeans. I went to the outlet mall this evening and walked around stores asking if they had 36" jeans. I only found some at the Lucky Brand store, so I tried them on.

The new pair: Lucky Brand Slim Fit Low Rise Boot Cut, 31" waist, Long, unstretched by wear

The old pair: Calvin Klein 34" waist, 36" length, stretched by wear

Please tell me what you think of the pics attached. Absolute judgements such as "they both look bad" or crap like taht are useless to me, I am a fashion moron and just gradually making improvements, so a comparison of one with the other would be best. I think the new ones are a little tight right now (I jammed my balls getting into them, lol, and they are basically skin tight on my butt and legs right now), but they should stretch out real nice.

Brian SD

Reaction score
the new ones have a more flattering fit on you. I like the lower rise and overall more modern aesthetic. I would say that you're wearing them both a little too high, but to each his own (I wear my jeans pretty low, so I understand I have some bias in the matter).

CarllraC

Reaction score
Thank you. I sure hope they are more flattering. I am *very* skinny, and I guess in the past I have tried to look bigger by wearing bigger jeans. That doesn't really work though.

Not sure they will be stretched out enough by tomorrow to feel comfortable wearing them to work, I am going to sleep in them though. Ahhhh excitement!

Wade M

Reaction score
New pair look more fitted, thus better IMO. They make you look like you got the right size.

Wear them to work tomorrow. It's all in the mind. You WILL be able to pull it off, they look good!

--Wade

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
new pair look better

but i sure hope you tucked in that t shirt just to show us the jeans and u dont walk around like that all day.

Lysol

Reaction score
please don't mistake me for being rude, but i don't see much difference between the two pairs. the cut of them both looks almost identical only the new ones you have bought in a smaller size. i will agree with everyone that the fit does look good on you but if you're looking for a change like you said in your previous post, both pairs look very similar to each other and are fairly conservative.

CarllraC, maybe if you posted more information about yourself it might help others give you suggestions. age, occupation, what you want to accomplish with a "new style", maybe some pictures of looks that you might want to try, etc.

if you're going for a more stylish-conservative, maybe like the clothes you would find in kitonbrioni's "what are you wearing today" blog to wear with a polo and loafers those jeans certainly would compliment you. if you're looking for something to get wild in on a friday night or simply just look more modern i would suggest something in a much darker wash and with a straight leg and maybe a higher rise.

again, i hope i don't sound rude. just that i saw you asking for advice, i hope you're not offended by me offering mine.

CarllraC

Reaction score
No that's fair Lysol.

I am 6'4" 172 lbs. I am skinny, very skinny. I want to look good. I want to look good when I am hanging with friends and wearing a T-shirt. I want to look good when I am out partying with an untucked dress shirt. I don't know how to achieve this. Fashion is incredibly subjective, which makes it hard to learn. You and I can look at the same person and feel completely different about them - it's just that your view will be more commonly held and thus fashionable. For instance, take bootcut jeans. I'm told they are 'out', but I still think they look good. Go figure.

People recommend jeans for me, but my figure is tall and skinny enough that I want to rty them on before I buy them but I can never find a store with my size.

Life is frustrating sometimes. These jeans aren't stretched out enough yet. I have been wearing them for a day. I already took the tags off these jeans, there goes 60 bucks?

I just want to find a single pair of jeans that fit great. History has shown me that I can't be the judge of what looks good because I'll F it up.

What do you recommend I do?

viking_mike

Reaction score
personally, since you are so skinny i would recommend some skinny jeans...with some taper

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
No that's fair Lysol.

I am 6'4" 172 lbs. I am skinny, very skinny. I want to look good. I want to look good when I am hanging with friends and wearing a T-shirt. I want to look good when I am out partying with an untucked dress shirt. I don't know how to achieve this. Fashion is incredibly subjective, which makes it hard to learn. You and I can look at the same person and feel completely different about them - it's just that your view will be more commonly held and thus fashionable. For instance, take bootcut jeans. I'm told they are 'out', but I still think they look good. Go figure.

People recommend jeans for me, but my figure is tall and skinny enough that I want to rty them on before I buy them but I can never find a store with my size.

Life is frustrating sometimes. These jeans aren't stretched out enough yet. I have been wearing them for a day. I already took the tags off these jeans, there goes 60 bucks?

I just want to find a single pair of jeans that fit great. History has shown me that I can't be the judge of what looks good because I'll F it up.

What do you recommend I do?

Those jeans look good in my opinion. Wear whatever you want as long as you think it looks good on yourself, regardless of whether they are "out" or not. I would agree with the comment that if you want to be more fashion forward, the jeans you got are rather conservative, but there's nothing wrong with that, they look good and would be appropriate in many situations. Something darker may be nice for evenings, though.

Cake

Reaction score
Those look tight to be honest. If you want to wear an untucked dress shirt then a pair of skinny jeans might not be the best choice, lest you get the "Mikhail Baryshnikov effect" of tight hosiery and billowing shirt hems. You will want something that is cut fuller in the legs (not necessarilly baggy), preferably of a darker shade. But those jeans are absolutely fine if you are out and about with a tee, for instance.

CarllraC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
The tight look is fine. Is there a girl who knows the peer group who opinions you value so highly who could go shopping with you and tell you what fits in best with that group?
I'll be completely honest, I want to look good to women.

Do I have a woman who could help me dress such that I look good to women? No, not yet, but I might at some point.

I get the main message though - darker for going out.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a nice change, Rock and Republic jeans come in a 35 inseam, I believe, and 7s come in a long style, which should be good considering their standard length is about a 34. I believe Nordstrom sells some of these. Others should too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads