• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my new navy blazer from WW Chan

johanm

Reaction score
Just received a navy blazer from WW Chan and would love to hear thoughts on how to improve my pattern for the next order.

Deets: 13 oz Harrisons navy cloth, 2 buttons, patch pockets, light brown buttons, no shoulder padding.

FYI, for RTW stuff, I'm a 44R/L with a 37-38" waist. I have long monkey arms which makes the jacket seem short, but it does cover ******.

I used a ghetto iphone app to increase the brightness on the pics so that the drape etc. would be more visible. Unfortunately the color got distorted - the jacket is actually a deep medium blue navy. Also, there are a few vertical creases on the jacket since I took it right out of the Fedex box.

sf1b.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

sf5.jpg

sf6.jpg

sf7.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fits beautifully.
I'd make the next one a tad longer
because I think it would make the waist
look more "nipped"

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is a first effort it looks pretty damn good. Did you do a fitting or straight to the finished product? I agree that I'd still make the jacket longer. Around 1/2 inch or possibly 3/4 should do it. The back of the collar could perhaps sit a little bit higher. I've been preferring a bit more of a drape cut and extended shoulders so you could ask Patrick for a little more of that. That plus nipping the waist a slight touch more could make for a more unique silhouette. Good luck and have fun!

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
The jacket is a bit short, your finger tips should come cloe to the ends of it. otherwise it is a fine coat and seems to fit well everywhere else.

johanm

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys

Slewfoot - this is my 3rd iteration with Chan. They had the basic fit down with the first one but I've been tweaking the buttoning point, shoulder padding, and length with each subsequent order. I haven't had any fittings for any of my commissions.

I definitely agree about adding a bit of shoulder extension to increase the drape. The jacket doesn't feel tight around the shoulders, but I think a little extension would promote a "V" shape from front and back. As it is, I can't really add any waist suppression without the jacket starting to pull (I think it does a decent job of camoflaging my love handles, at least from the front).

On length, you guys have to trust me, it's definitely long enough. I just have very long arms. It fully covers ******, as you can see from the side and back pics. Any longer and it would make me look like I have short legs. Also, it would make the jacket look a bit too conservative to wear with jeans etc.

Shirtmaven - this is a heavy basketweave cloth and the jacket is meant to be casual. I have another blazer with gold buttons, shoulder padding, etc.

In terms of comfort, I would encourage other Chan customers to try the no padding option. The jacket feels significantly more light, flexible, and comfortable than even my Chan jackets with "light padding".

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks great. Could use some 'flair' as a sportscoat (pathc pocket, contrast buttons, etc) but the fit's very good.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the front. The back looks... funny... to me, but I'm relatively untrained.

Why don't you throw this up on the tailors thread (without saying who it is from) and
see what they think? It's what that thread is for.

Sometimes I'd rather learn from the good side rather than from the bad.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In terms of comfort, I would encourage other Chan customers to try the no padding option. The jacket feels significantly more light, flexible, and comfortable than even my Chan jackets with "light padding".

+ 1 million

Glad Chan's been working out for you!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't other bespoke shops get it this close on the first try?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

looks great. Could use some 'flair' as a sportscoat (pathc pocket, contrast buttons, etc) but the fit's very good.

plus one. it's hard to see the small details(patch pkts) in the flicks.

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

Why can't other bespoke shops get it this close on the first try?

I think the key is to be assertive with them about what you want. Patrick Chu really understands how to execute a variety of different styles and silhouettes (probably influenced by the guys at the Armoury), but he defaults to a very conservative business type of look - longer jacket, moderate shoulder padding, high buttoning point, closed quarters, etc. He also seems worried that customers will ask for stuff without knowing what they're getting into, probably based on some bad experiences with dissatisfied customers. It's worthwhile to be persistent in what you want and convey that you know what you're talking about. For example, he was pretty reluctant to do a padless shoulder but relented when I told him about various SF posters who requested the same thing. Needless to say, I'm pretty delighted with the results and I plan on asking for padless shoulders on all my future commissions.

With regard to the "odd jacket details" - I think some of the details got blurred with my poor iphone brightness adjustment. The jacket has patch pockets as well as mottled light brown horn buttons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads