• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti 93 best and worst and everything in netween

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a good review, Jeffery.

You wrote: "Based in Amsterdam, the production is actually done in India. I won't dive deep in to their story here as you can read all about it on their own website. Suffice it to say that a shirt with this level of workmanship would be completely out of the reach of most people if it were done anywhere other than a place like India or China. And perhaps I need to remind some readers that India and China were producing some of the best textiles in the world while the west was in burlap diapers. Some of the most intricate embroideries and handwork that I have ever seen have come out of Asia so we need to suspend our knee-jerk association of Asia with cheap, badly-made crap for a moment."

While some people do associate China and India with cheap, shoddy work, I think that most of us on SF would acknowledge that those countries are also capable of amazing, intricate workmanship - it all depends upon the budget for the work.

However, although I don't think that people here would really have a problem with the shirts being made in India, I do think that it's reasonable to question the cost. I mean, you can get a really well-made Italian shirt from a place like G.Inglese for $300 or $350, and the Inglese shirts have a lot of fine handwork, too. Is it reasonable to ask $350 to $450 for an Indian-made shirt, given that the cost of production is most likely a lot lower in India than it is in Italy?

Of course, I suppose that then introduces the question of "what is reasonable?" and it comes down to whatever the market is willing to bear. In the fashion world, a lot of items are marked up to truly ridiculous levels that are far, far in excess of the cost of production, so it's clearly not necessary for there to be any actual link between the cost of production and the selling price.
There is waaaaaaaaay more handwork (and it’s finer & more uniform) on a 100 Hands shirt than any other Italian shirt I’ve seen. WAAAAAAAAAAAY more.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I've been heavily googling 100 hands and trying to justify that kind of spend on a shirt!!

steveabdn

Reaction score
Start with just one, just to see if you like it (you will). Then replace all your other shirts one at a time, one a year.
I can't justify it at the moment I afraid, currently in the midst of a weight loss drive before meeting the tailor in 2 months. I've my weight has settled I may well do as you suggest.1 month gone and 15lbs down, not sure where I'm going to arrive at so I can't really justify it. Reading the article you wrote really had me hooked though

Staxxx1

Reaction score
I am also excited to start my journey with 100hands...
I've ordered two black line and one gold! All MTM so will post pictures and review when I get them.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just saw 100Hands today. Truly awesome craftsmanship, and fine selections of fabrics. We shall see how the fit works. I don't truly need a new shirtmaker, as I have three doing pretty good work for different tasks. But...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw 100Hands today. Truly awesome craftsmanship, and fine selections of fabrics. We shall see how the fit works. I don't truly need a new shirtmaker, as I have three doing pretty good work for different tasks. But...
They are pretty awesome. And their work is pretty great as well. I don't really need that level of workmanship, and frankly, it's wasted on my day-to-day - I'm not Mark Zuckerberg and I don't have shelves of the same Brunello Cucinelli cashmere tees and hoodies - but I like the pullover that they made for me, if just to have.

Staxxx1

Reaction score
I have had extensive discussions with the team and have selected two Gold Line shirts to start with.
One in a Thomas Mason Oxford and the other in a Suvin cotton (one of the rarest extra-long staple cottons grown now on just 20 acres sadly).
I really liked the jersey they posted on their IG page and am going to get a blue textured one in a Loro Piana material. Can you please send me a picture of your pullover please LA Guy.
The Safari jackets look rather awesome too, although it is too hot for me to wear here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads