• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of nice gloves...?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I could find some peccary hide, I'm interested in making gloves but can never find suppliers.

emptym

Reaction score
Peccary is related to hogskin and could be considered a type of hogskin, iirc.

It is possible to find cheap ones. I got mine at various vintage stores for about $10-15 each. They were unworn and probably from the 40's or 50's.

As for advantages, imo, they're supple, mould to your hands well, and are really durable. Not sure if there's any other advantages. I also like deer or elkskin gloves for the same reasons, and they're much cheaper.

Edit: Celery, this place sells peccary hides.

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info mate.
Peccary is related to hogskin and could be considered a type of hogskin, iirc.
It's possible to find cheap ones. I got mine at various vintage stores for about $10-15 each. They were unworn and probably from the 40's or 50's.
As for advantages, imo, they're supple, mould to your hands well, and are really durable. Not sure if there's any other advantages. I also like deer or elkskin gloves for the same reasons, and they're much cheaper.
Edit: Celery, this place sells peccary hides.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well yea? Good peccary gloves are expensive. Dents unlined peccary go for $314 and cashmere lined for $399 and $439
Didnt know that didnt ship to sweden though.

I don't mind paying that for gloves, they just have to be good gloves and fit and look right.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hampton: I'm sure Barbera has used the pair for many years. The greatest patina comes with age.

I have used Paularun for several pairs of bespoke gloves. Just trace your hands on an A4 paper, scan, email. I've some pics attached to this thread, just scroll downwards. Prices are around $100 for one bespoke pair. The only fault was a very long waiting period, this is something they should improve on.

Peccary is a wildhog species from South America and small parts of NA. A protected species, but the natives have rights for hunting and skins. Supply is quite limited outside SA countries and prices always high.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Peccary leather is very strong and washable. It is a very unique leather that is becoming increasingly scarce due to Citis International Trade Export restrictions. Peccary is hunted in the wild by aboriginal natives and the hides are sold. The Peruvian Government limits the amount of hides that can be sold to protect the species from over-hunting / extinction.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hampton: I'm sure Barbera has used the pair for many years. The greatest patina comes with age.
I have used Paularun for several pairs of bespoke gloves. Just trace your hands on an A4 paper, scan, email. I've some pics attached to this thread, just scroll downwards. Prices are around $100 for one bespoke pair. The only fault was a very long waiting period, this is something they should improve on.
Peccary is a wildhog species from South America and small parts of NA. A protected species, but the natives have rights for hunting and skins. Supply is quite limited outside SA countries and prices always high.
Okay, thanks. $100 don't sound that bad since everyone was sharing $300-$400 gloves on peccary gloves? First time really I hear of this, might give it a try. So Paula Run has good quality and everything?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good price and just in time for fall 2013!

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Might give it a try :)!
Yes, all PR gloves are hand-stitched and cut. Lined gloves have lovely, soft alpaca wool. The workmanship is there, but delivery times may drag. Skins are chrome-tanned, I'm not sure if any tannery does peccary hides with vegetables.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone do this yet?

Cassius Cinna

Reaction score
This thread pretty much convinced me to pick up a pair of Dents (I live in chilly Canada, so I thought maybe rabbit-lined than cashmere would be the better choice).

Then I ran across these: http://www.mrporter.com/product/315369

Now, I know these are not very warm, and a little pricier, but I thought since Christmas is coming around, this could be a little gift to myself, and I've survived until now without a solid pair of gloves. I drive a 1973 Pontiac Ventura (though it will be going away for the winter), so I've thought about picking up some Driving Gloves before, since they might help at night with the windows down.

My question to you gentlemen is this: Are Driving Gloves outside the car an absolutely no-no? I thought these looked just enough like regular gloves (covered over knuckles for example), that they might pass, but want your opinion.

diglett

Reaction score
^ I'm also really new to the idea of nicer gloves, but it seems like having driving gloves would be nifty, but an unlined pair like that would be regrettable after the novelty wore off and the cold started sinking in.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK2024