• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pens

lynch_king

Reaction score
I use a bunch of stainless steel parker pens for school (parker jotter models)

also use some cross pens and pencils

one of them gold plated

and a pierre cardin one

wish i can afford a montblanc haha

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
I was just gifted an entry level Aurora pen in the most distatefully feminine color imaginable.

2518.jpg

What does this mean my uncle thinks of me?
eh.gif

That's a really good pen, but that color....
facepalm.gif

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite pens:

Waterman Carene stub nib
Parker 51
Lamy 2000
Sailor 1911 piston fill
Pilot Vanishing Point

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
That's a really good pen, but that color....
facepalm.gif

I'm trying to have a sense of humor about it... I think I got it because I use to own a telecaster in that color. But good god it is so flamboyant for a pen- how do I expect people to take me seriously with it. LOL.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro-ing for advice. I'm looking for a budget pen, suitable for both normal papers and Moleskein. Any advice, whether on specific ones or brands?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fountain, and cartridge. As for fine or bold, I guess fine, though I need something that won 't be destroyed by an overly heavy hand. It's something of a pet project, teaching myself handwriting, as opposed to the intelligible scrawl I currently use.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fountain, and cartridge. As for fine or bold, I guess fine, though I need something that won 't be destroyed by an overly heavy hand. It's something of a pet project, teaching myself handwriting, as opposed to the intelligible scrawl I currently use.

I have several Diplomats. Very reasonably priced, and a nice pen.

http://www.mydiplomatpen.com/default.aspx

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect, thanks so much.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score

Depends on what you mean by a "budget pen". You could perhaps try a Lamy Safari. It is as cheap as they come, made of hard wearing plastic and is a decent writer. If you budget is higher, go for the Lamy 2000 -- a pen that should be in every fountain pen collection. Moleskine is not all that fountain pen ink friendly, as it is prone to feathering and bleed through. If you insist on sticking with Moleskine, get some dry ink with perhaps some anti-feathering properties.

The first thing you should teach yourself is to write with proper pen pressure. The Lamy will withstand an overly heavy hand, but it is not the proper way to write with a fountain pen, and you will destroy more delicate nibs.

Emulations

Reaction score

Necro-ing for advice. I'm looking for a budget pen, suitable for both normal papers and Moleskein. Any advice, whether on specific ones or brands?

Moleskine note books are not what they are hyped up to be. They have a cult following but their paper is not 'fountain pen friendly'. The paper feathers and shows significant bleed through if using a medium or broader nib. There are better note book choices out there.
As for a beginner pen, try Lamy, German made. The nib is a bit stiff but should serve as an every day pen. Also, get a converter instead of a cartridge.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moleskine note books are not what they are hyped up to be. They have a cult following but their paper is not 'fountain pen friendly'. The paper feathers and shows significant bleed through if using a medium or broader nib. There are better note book choices out there.
As for a beginner pen, try Lamy, German made. The nib is a bit stiff but should serve as an every day pen. Also, get a converter instead of a cartridge.

I'll have to take a look at those as well. As for Moleskine, I've been writing in them for years, and yeah, the quality is superb. I just can't consistently find any other brand that produces non-decorative journals/note books. I can get them in any size, unlined, and in plain black. Surprisingly hard to find other brands that don't have tacky designs, at least within my price range.

Emulations

Reaction score
@ KlezmerBlues.
We gave him almost the same advice. I was busy editing my post thus you beat me to posting. Anyway, are you a pen buff? I am a member of a pen forum and have a very small collection. I went through the trial and error stage and culled all my pens from dubious makers. I have a few pens from a few makers, my favorite being Bexley. I mostly do broad nibs and I am in the process of swapping out the fine nib in one of my Lamy pens for this guy: Lamy Calligraphy Fountain Pen Steel Nib - 1.1mm, to add some flair to my writing and to my signature.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunilssingla