• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passus shoes - Fine Shoes from Budapest - Official Affiliate Thread

LThomsen

Reaction score
If I may add a few thoughts to your purchasing decision. Although after I provide you my thought, I am interested in what kind of shoe are you looking for.

I do not own the shoes yet, so what I am about to say is purely conjecture.

Based on the materials used, the kind of construction employed, where the leather is and can be sourced from, and (not to be forgotten) the customer service. Passus should be the best value under $1000. Of course, we are talking in the middle tier range so anything $500+ but under $1000.

You have great options in which to choose, but also have an eclectic selection. G&G makes a beautiful shoe, but, IMO, I much rather have the other three options (StC, Passus, and PS). I base that predominantly on the construction method. The other point is any of the three companies provide you MTO possibilities. Yes G&G does, but you'd pay a substantial upcharge for an already expensive shoe (most expensive on your list).

So that leaves you the next three. This selection comes down to taste. PS has a really Italian aesthetic. Passus an Eastern European one. Stc is sort of a mix of the two.

If it's an economic issue, choice is easy. Passus! Same construction as the other two. Possibly same leather. Many MTO options. Somewhat limited in terms of lasts, but that's why I prefaced these thoughts with the question of the sort of shoe you are searching for.

If you are looking for a shoe with just a touch more refinement, StC. They also have many lasts in which to choose, loafers, boots, etc. Pricer than the other two and customer service is..........

PS is your Italian choice, and by that I mean the vibe. It really is just a very different shoe, compared to the other two. This is your "swag" shoe.

One point that bears mentioning is customer service. Often you hear days or weeks go by without a response. Sometimes people do not receive a response period. Often, I have heard of companies not taking responsibility for their errors. Blaming the customer at that. More often than not, you are not kept in the loop as to how your shoe are progressing, where they are in terms of reaching their destination (the client). Hell, sometimes the shoes just look crappy, and they are like well you deal with it.

With Passus, Rezso specifically, you get the GOLD standard. The man is a pleasure to do business with. Have an idea.. Write him. Question about a shoe or your shoe.. Write him. Question about the company.. Write him. This kind of service is a rarity these days, so when a company exhibits the kind of customer service they do...You must applaud them for it.

I mentioned I did not have their shoes yet, but I ordered from Passus. In fact, I ordered based on the word of two men involved in other shoe companies. If their competitors (albiet not in the same price range) praise them (specifically mentioned Rezso), that's more than enough for me.

Now if you do decide to go the Paolo Scafora route, you should reach out to @Noblekostas at the Noble Shoe. He is the Gold standard amongst solo acts.
Thank you for your thoughts. I, and am sure others, appreciate your experience. I would really like to hear your review about the passus shoes your ordered once they arrive. I am familiar with the noble shoe. I purchased a pair of CS hand gradeshoes and was impressed with the customer service and the value of the shoe.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts. I, and am sure others, appreciate your experience. I would really like to hear your review about the passus shoes your ordered once they arrive. I am familiar with the noble shoe. I purchased a pair of CS hand gradeshoes and was impressed with the customer service and the value of the shoe.

Thanks. ??

Also, what was the kind of shoe you were interested in purchasing?

Absolutely! I would love to share my thoughts on the finished product. It probably would not be for several more weeks as they were a MTO. Turning out to be a fun a MTO though ??.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Thanks. ??

Also, what was the kind of shoe you were interested in purchasing?

Absolutely! I would love to share my thoughts on the finished product. It probably would not be for several more weeks as they were a MTO. Turning out to be a fun a MTO though ??.
I am looking for an espresso brown cap toe. Suggestions?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an espresso brown cap toe. Suggestions?

Well that's an easy one. For that kind of shoe, which is standard, I believe you don't have to go out and spend $1500 (StC prices).

I have a captoe derby in the works from Passus. I am totally confident they can handle that make up quite easily, and to your satisfaction based on the progress I've seen with my shoes ??.
I also base that on the pictures from the Passus site.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Another chapter in our little tour. This is how we are making the heels by hand. We are using JR leather to our heels. We are building up the heels layer by layer. There are two different models in the pictures.

Heel 01.jpg

Heel 02.jpg

Heel 03.jpg

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that's an easy one. For that kind of shoe, which is standard, I believe you don't have to go out and spend $1500 (StC prices).

What kind of shoe would you spend $1500 (StC prices) for? It seems like you're suggesting that for shoes meant to be the core/foundation of your shoe rotation one shouldn't spend a lot, relatively speaking of course. I'm just curious what your philosophy is towards buying shoes.

Honestly, that's probably a dangerous question to ask someone who has well over a hundred pair of shoes with no signs of stopping because I may agree with it and my wallet will start crying. I have over 30 pairs of shoes and boots with no idea how I got here. And I still have holes in my rotation!

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Honestly, I try not to categorize shoes by price or value based on price. I work in investment management and am doing my masters in investment management. So all day I try to make valuations.

i promised myself I would leave some things in my life to the heart. Shoes and watches are 2 of them. I can love a 1500 SCs as much as I love something $400 CS. I just want shoes that make me feel good wearing them and looking at them.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that I can agree, but as I have said before I never see the appeal of StC (and others have said before, StC always looks way better in person).

Passus's value is hard to resist, and they look good too (at least on picture)!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of shoe would you spend $1500 (StC prices) for? It seems like you're suggesting that for shoes meant to be the core/foundation of your shoe rotation one shouldn't spend a lot, relatively speaking of course. I'm just curious what your philosophy is towards buying shoes.

Honestly, that's probably a dangerous question to ask someone who has well over a hundred pair of shoes with no signs of stopping because I may agree with it and my wallet will start crying. I have over 30 pairs of shoes and boots with no idea how I got here. And I still have holes in my rotation!

Good question.

I usually base recommendations on how iconic the particular shoe is within the brand and price. This is of course, if someone asks for a particular brand.

@LThomsen made it easy by saying StC. Then would the desired shoe fit on my iconic list within that brand. Meaning if it did fall within my list, it would be worth the high price tag. With StC the models that are on my list are (as @clee1982 rightly said), the SpTD, specifically the 575 & 633. The black 522 oxford, 105 Wingtip, 524 Chukka , and finally the loafer 537 & 539.

Once he said he wanted an espresso Oxford, then that immediately removed any of the musts on my list. Which makes a recommendation actually simpler. Why?

Because.. once he afforded me the option of selecting that espresso shoe across the 4 brands, then the shoe must fulfill my critical requirements. Which are.... if I can get away with a nice looking shoe, ++ leather, superior construction, good customer service, and one I would actually buy and wear.. then I'd take the most inexpensive option.

Price, far and away, is the most critical component in any recommendation I make. Here, again, is why I said it was simple. A $750 shoe vs a $1500 one. ?.

The option that ticks all of the above boxes, and is more inexpensive is the Passus oxford ?.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, after I would have made my recommendation and it's a general query, like the one you just made about where to throw my $1500. That's a little more difficult.

It's a lot of money. So, I would wonder about your location. Can you visit the maker? Does the maker visit you (trunk shows)? What is the style of shoe you are looking for (conservative or ostentatious)? What kind of model (boot, oxford, derby, loafer)? Thus, I attempt to gather as much information as possible before I commence throwing out names.

This should allow you to zero in on options rather quickly, while eliminating the fluff and awe.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@rezso.kuti are shoe trees included in the 700 euro price? If not are they lasted? And what's the price on them?
We do have hardwood shoe trees for our shoes made on the last 2000. They are not lasted. Yet. We are working on it. Hopefully, we'll be able to offer lasted shoe trees to all of our shoes. The price includes shoe trees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads