• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat Sizing

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've always wanted a navy Zegna overcoat but can't afford to pay full retail. I wear size 56 for Zegna suits and sportcoats, will a 56 overcoat be cut to fit someone who wears a size 56 suit with a suit underneath? I found one on Ebay in size 56 and am going to grab it if you think it will fit. Also, is a herringbone weave appropriate for an overcoat? Thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that a charcoal herringbone pattern is fine.  As for the sizing, some will recommend that an overcoat be bought a size larger to accomodate a suit.  I think that this is incorrect, unless you are talking about some designers who design overcoats specifically with the intent that they be worn in lieu of a sportsjacket.  In more traditional makers, te overcoat is designed to fit over a jacket.  Therefore, you should get your normal size.  If you wear a 46 suit, get a 46 overcoat.

Um, if you are going to be studying in LA, you will most certainly not need an overcoat.  Even wearing a jacket is superfluous (and potentially dangerous) a good part of the year.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response LA. You're right, I don't ever plan to wear it in LA, but the times of the year when I will be home it will be cold, and I'll wear it then. Also, I'll probably be back in the northeast in four years, and it will be invaluable then.

stache

Reaction score
Just a note, I would say to store the coat back home. L.A. has a terrible moth problem.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a note, I would say to store the coat back home. L.A. has a terrible moth problem.
And on that subject, what should I do about my suits and sportcoats in LA? I have cedar blocks hanging in my closet right now as well as some packets of stuff my mom gave me (that smells like cedar).

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As LAG said, it's hard to tell. Some designer will size overcoat to be worn as sportscoat, others to be worn over suits.
When faced with such a dillema, I always order my size : if it's too small to be worn over a suit, I can still use it as a warmer sportscoat like the maker intended it to fit. If you order a size up and it's sized to be worn over a suit, you're screwed both ways...

.luc

alchimiste

Reaction score
Can't you contact Zegna to ask how their overcoats are sized?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like the chest has a lot of extra room (3 inches) but the shoulders don't seem to have any. Also, is 49 inches a standard length?

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
lived for ten years in Southern California before moving to NYC and believe me, you really don't need an overcoat.

Raincoat, yes definitely, but save your cash on the overcoat -- are you really going to be back east, wearing a suit, in dire need of a coat for more than a day or two, and your ski parka just doesn't fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads