• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

velobran

Reaction score
Freeway shorts just came out. OG Cloth - $175 price. I'm sure these are a lot like the 3-ways since the fabric breakdown is 80/10/10.

Kind of an interesting move. Discontinue the model everyone liked - come out with a newer cheaper model with your own fabric - bring back the older model and charge more. I'm sure fabric prices are getting cheaper though, so price hikes are probably expected.

spencers

Reaction score

Freeway shorts just came out. OG Cloth - $175 price. I'm sure these are a lot like the 3-ways since the fabric breakdown is 80/10/10.

Kind of an interesting move. Discontinue the model everyone liked - come out with a newer cheaper model with your own fabric - bring back the older model and charge more. I'm sure fabric prices are getting cheaper though, so price hikes are probably expected.

Yeah, I paid $148 for my three-way shorts.

Last edited:

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
How are you sure?
That seems reasonable to assume. I don't think Schoeller's fabrics use any materials that are getting rarer and more expensive. The bulk of the upcharge likely has to do with the cost of research and development, and use of technology that's relatively new to consumer products. That kind of thing should get cheaper over time as the initial cost of development is dispersed.

SuEd

Reaction score
That seems reasonable to assume. I don't think Schoeller's fabrics use any materials that are getting rarer and more expensive. The bulk of the upcharge likely has to do with the cost of research and development, and use of technology that's relatively new to consumer products. That kind of thing should get cheaper over time as the initial cost of development is dispersed.

Demand for Schoeller's fabrics have been going up though (many other buyers besides Outlier) and that could lead Schoeller to raise prices.

velobran

Reaction score

While I mistyped before - I do think the price-hike is due to supply and demand and offsetting R&D costs. Maybe people begged for the 3-way to come back so they recreated it with a new name and jacked up the price.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
While I mistyped before - I do think the price-hike is due to supply and demand and offsetting R&D costs. Maybe people begged for the 3-way to come back so they recreated it with a new name and jacked up the price.
Hadn't thought of that. I had this article in mind:
http://www.wolfvsgoat.com/blogs/blog/12719877-why-shorts-should-cost-as-much-pants

I think that same principle could be applied to Schoeller Dryskin. While it's expensive now, eventually it will likely become commonplace enough that the material costs of Dryskin garments are overshadowed by the costs of production. But if its popularity is spiking that could take longer than expected. I do notice that other companies like TAD gear have started using it in their jackets.

Widgets

Reaction score
Anyone else's dungarees stretch out a bit permanently.

I've worn my pair 3 times now and don't often wash pants, but the waistband has seemingly stretched out quite a bit. When I first got them, they were a spot on fit, and now they feel a little loose.

For those of you that have washed your Slim Dungarees, do they shrink back to normal size after a wash?

Widgets

Reaction score
Thanks. How often do you wash? I'm used to not wanting to fade jeans, so I don't wash pants often, but I doubt this nylon fabric will fade... I don't want to ruin the nanosphere treatment, though.

Appreciate the info.

raddoc

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of the free way shorts

The OG cloth is fantastic. The fit is great. Way better than the new ways...my new ways began pilling after minimal use. Construction is pretty good but not perfect...standard for made in USA/NYC stuff. That is, my arcteryx/ veilance pieces are constructed perfectly...but props to outlier for using better fabric compared to arcteryx nontechnical pieces (though the new way fabric is a bust). They need to change the ends of the drawstring waistcord...the paint or whatever chips off the corners after a wash....use anodized titanium like on my firefly bike

deadsunrise

Reaction score
i don't wash outlier's pants too often, every 30 wears? probably more, I just wash them when they are really dirty and it usually takes a while to get them nasty.

velobran

Reaction score

Just picked up a pair of the free way shorts

The OG cloth is fantastic. The fit is great. Way better than the new ways...my new ways began pilling after minimal use. Construction is pretty good but not perfect...standard for made in USA/NYC stuff. That is, my arcteryx/ veilance pieces are constructed perfectly...but props to outlier for using better fabric compared to arcteryx nontechnical pieces (though the new way fabric is a bust). They need to change the ends of the drawstring waistcord...the paint or whatever chips off the corners after a wash....use anodized titanium like on my firefly bike

I'm more interested in your FF bike. I'm hopefully getting into the queue by end of summer.

raddoc

Reaction score

I'm more interested in your FF bike. I'm hopefully getting into the queue by end of summer.[/

I'm more interested in your Vagen! Almost ordered a CX this season, but decided to keep waiting on the Vanilla list...hopefully it will happen before 5 yrs

Back on topic, the freeways are great for riding...casual riding they are fine by themselves....put a pair of kitsbow merinos under them and you are good to go

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads