• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
I don't get pocket flare at all with the new way shorts like I did with the OGs. But I do agree about not liking the slight flare of the leg opening and I definitely wish the leg opening was narrower. I'd want like 20" leg opening.

brooks23

Reaction score
The New Ways obviously aren't just Futureworks with a shorter inseam. The Futureworks are basically Nycos in FCloth. The New Ways are redesigned Three Ways. You're paying for Research & Development. Cut them some slacks
confused.gif

p.s. Haven't you been complaining about their pricing for a while now?

eh.gif

Yes, I still think most of the outerwear is overpriced for what it is.

My point was that for the first time that I bought something direct from Outlier (ie. paid full retail, 10+ pieces), I wasn't sure the value was there. There's stuff I bought second hand, that I definitely like for what I paid, but may not have bought at full price... I'm just talking stuff I liked enough and initially thought was worth the price tag.

I understand the concept of R&D, but literally the only thing the New Ways brought to the table that Outlier hadn't done already was the ribbon button thing. Drawstring, mesh in the pockets, basic pattern, etc had been done.. Let's be honest. I like both shorts a lot, but the New Ways are basically nipped and tucked version of the Three Ways in a cheaper (albeit more appropriate) fabric. There's not a whole lot of 'redesigning'. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. They got it pretty spot on to begin with, I just think they shot a little high with the price on these, maybe because they've gotten to a point where they can and people will still buy it.

It's not going to change my attitude on their company and certainly won't stop me from buying anything in the future, it was just my opinion which you are more than welcome to disagree with.

SuEd

Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of the Veilance Voronoi shorts since they pretty much overnight them to me here. I'm kind of underwhelmed. I mean, they look good and have some nice detailing, but their construction feels pretty rigid and the details are super subtle for what they're asking for them. Even-sizing only is a bit of a killer, as well. I've got a return order out and I guess I'll make a decision by Monday as to whether or not I'm keeping them, but just for anyone looking at a stupidly expensive pair of shorts I'd suggest only jumping if you live in Canada and can return them super easily. I'll probably jump to the new Outliers, almost a third of the price and the ability to go swimming in them sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than taped-seam water-resistant shorts, especially considering I'm about to move to the tropics. I mean, I think there's definitely more value in a technical outfit whose purpose is spontaneously swimming than avoiding getting your upper legs wet if you live somewhere hot, humid, and surrounded by gorgeous beaches.

There can be interesting debates about value and quality but most of what it boils down to in this thread is just coded language about price points. It's supposed to be the Outlier thread but most of the posts are requests for cheaper substitutes. Disappointing really.
dozingoff.gif

ipractice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought slim dungs from the last restock. Have been wearing them daily since receiving... didn't mind paying retail. Yes it came with some loose threads, but I can already tell how durable they are in the long run and the fit is great. I could find something similar... sure, but the price difference is not huge. I'm happy with them and would easily pay retail for another pair.

I actually don't think they're slim enough, so I may try for climbers, but I know that the dungs have overall best comfort.

Last edited:

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Those complaining about the New Way shorts should see this link
http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/summer-shorts.html

Despite saying discontinued, they show some stock is available. I went ahead and ordered up a pair in black. Already have purp, blue, and green.
biggrin.gif
These really are my favorite shorts in the world.

Maybe I'll get lucky...
Based on the measurements, those have an even wider leg opening than the New Ways.

velobran

Reaction score

Those complaining about the New Way shorts should see this link
http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/summer-shorts.html

Despite saying discontinued, they show some stock is available. I went ahead and ordered up a pair in black. Already have purp, blue, and green. :D These really are my favorite shorts in the world.

Maybe I'll get lucky...

If people want slightly cheaper pricing too - there are still very little stock left on the longs too.

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/threewaylong.html

rxryan

Reaction score
Does anybody have a good review of this ultralight fabric? I ordered a jacket and pants, but I am afraid it's so light that it won't fall or drape well at all. Does it appear cheap or feel cheap?

Also, I vaguely recall there being durability concerns with this stuff. Obviously lighter weight and thinner fabrics won't hold up as well as the same materials in heavier weights, but is it disproportionately bad?

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good review of this ultralight fabric? I ordered a jacket and pants, but I am afraid it's so light that it won't fall or drape well at all. Does it appear cheap or feel cheap?

Also, I vaguely recall there being durability concerns with this stuff. Obviously lighter weight and thinner fabrics won't hold up as well as the same materials in heavier weights, but is it disproportionately bad?
The drape is really unappealing, I don't understand why they use it "maybe profit margin is really good" but I think the regular model pants are anything but heavy.

rxryan

Reaction score
Quote:
Definitely what I was afraid of. Even from the handful of pictures on the product page you can get small glimpses of it potentially being an issue. Guess I will await my shipment and make my decision then, but I feel like I know the outcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads