• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orginal Penguin by Munsingwear

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope some one at PEI (Perry Ellis RIP) reads this.
The polos were the best of the crap.

Just finished Wiliam Gibson's book "Pattern Recognition" The "Coolhunter Cayce P would have hated the pneguin logo.

Carl

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matador -

Penguin has only recently (past 3 yrs., maybe?) made an effort to be "cool" by resurrecting their older designs/color schemes. In fact, I believe someone still makes an entire Penguin line of golf-ish and corporate logoed stuff (my gf's old UPS Store uniform was Penguin/Munsingwear). Before that they made an effort to distance themselves from the 70s stuff. Your polo was probably pre- or just non- effort to look vintage.

Get Smart -

Quality/fit are in the eye of the wearer, but all the vintage "Grand Slam" and Penguin stuff I've ever seen has been in crappy shape, with junk poly or poly blend fabrics...

I think it's interesting that unlike many other resurrected labels, I don't think penguin was ever cool in the first place.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Brad Pitt is also helping out the whole Penguin thing. Apparently he's been seen wearing the same old brown Penquin Polo time and time again.

I think he also wears that stuff in Fight Club.

e

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Harsh dude.  No, actually the difference is that the vintage shopper is actually looking for something unique and has to rely on his own tastes and the guy who buys the Original Penguin at Urban is just someone whose tastes are dictated by a bunch of boardroom guys who themselves rely on "cool hunters" (yes, there is such a term) who observed what the vintage shopper was doing in the first place.  In other words, the first is an original.  The second is relying on the tastes of the original and buying an overpriced, highly marketed, mass produced, and often crappily made version of the original.
I forgot clothes in the 70's were designed by carefree 20-somethings who would later have films produced about them in the form of 'Dazed and Confused.' C'mon, man... a boardroom guy is a boardroom guy, whether he was born in the 30's or 60's. Just because you're wearing clothes that somebody dictated to be 'cool' 30 years ago doesn't mean you're not as much of a tool as the kid wearing clothes that are dictated to be 'cool' now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because you're wearing clothes that somebody dictated to be 'cool' 30 years ago doesn't mean you're not as much of a tool as the kid wearing clothes that are dictated to be 'cool' now.

Sure it does, because you have a different set of sensibilities than people did in the 60's or 70s, and have to sift through things yourself and decide what is still relevant to your personal style after all these years.

Lydia

Reaction score
Since my favorite clothes used to be a pair of $2 tight-ass poly bellbottoms and a orange 70s leather jacket, I've got to weigh in.

For me, buying vintage is mainly an issue of fit and price. I wouldn't look down on people who buy the new immitations.

I found similar pants but in wool from Gucci for 490 dollars, but they were still kind of loose.

I don't know about penguin but the old lacosse polos had a slimmer fit than the new ones, therefore I choose the old.

Still, often I find that new reinterpretations of the old stuff often use better fabrics. This is natural if they're going to be charging a lot more.

The new designer velvet jacket use higher quality velvet than most of the vintage ones.

I guess the main stream, none-designer, stuff in the 1970s was just cooler.

By the why, I've noticed that it is a well-established truth that menswear sucked in the 1970s. An embarassing time of gaudiness and vulgarity that we'd best erase from our (though I wasn't alive) photo albums.

I disagree. I think it was a time when men were allowed to enjoy style, rather than being strapped in the constrictive straightjacket of either a suit or a pair jeans. Let's face it: the emphasis on subtlety and "taste" doesn't exactly make the streets exciting. And for most men, the fear of "gay" and the conformist nature of modern style, makes things downright boring. Thank god women are allowed some sartorial freedom.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a Penguin store in NYC upper west side, around 80s or 90s street? I remember buying a Penguin Polo about 5 years ago there, before they become tres chic. I thought it was a Penguin store, but don't know if my memory is poor or if it moved.

misterbowles

Reaction score
Just because you're wearing clothes that somebody dictated to be 'cool' 30 years ago doesn't mean you're not as much of a tool as the kid wearing clothes that are dictated to be 'cool' now.
Sure it does, because you have a different set of sensibilities than people did in the 60's or 70s, and have to sift through things yourself and decide what is still relevant to your personal style after all these years.
I'm with LA Guy 110% on this one.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I doubt that there was a Penguin store on it's own back then. These Single brand type of stores are a more recent trend.

I saw a TV show last night that was filmed in Britan. One of the actors was wearing a navy polo with white trim. The penguin logo looked huge. And stupid

Carl

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's some brand that is making shirts now that are parodic of the logo fetish, i saw a picture of one with an absolutely huge crocodile on it, like 3" or so. kindof funny, for about 2 minutes.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fb-

Was that in the NYT supplemental? I thought it seemed a good idea, but then realized no one would get it. Plus, I have a few gen-u-ine Lacoste shirts and I don't think they'd get along...

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, i think it was in the NYT men's fashion supplemental. either that or the latest 'vitals', since those are the only two clothes-related periodicals i've read recently. re. whether anyone would get it - i guess it depends on your milieu...probably more of an urban indie hipster thing, you know, people who crave irony.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ Mar. 17 2005,18:13) Quote Just because you're wearing clothes that somebody dictated to be 'cool' 30 years ago doesn't mean you're not as much of a tool as the kid wearing clothes that are dictated to be 'cool' now.
I'm with LA Guy 110% on this one.[/quote] So you're saying people from that period were intrinsicly cooler than people now, clothing designers included? Is that the difference in sensibilities you're talking about? OK, maybe. I will contend they were probably more laid back back then. But I don't know how that realizes itself through a shirt. As to the second part, I don't think it makes a lick of difference what era the clothes are from. You've still got to sift through things yourself and decide what is relevant to your personal style when you're buying new, right? Why do people who do it at thrift shops have more style than those who do it at malls?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Why do people who do it at thrift shops have more style than those who do it at malls?

I would say, because if you find an item that works for you at a thrift store, you're likely never going to see it on another person in your life. A a mall may have, say, 1500 mens items in a store. Of those 1500 mens items, 300 are actually different items, the other 1200 are different sizes or variations of those 300 items. In a thrift store, all 1500 items would be different except in the most basic category (t-shirts, jeans, trousers, etc)

I would not say that I think the people in the 70s were cooler than people are now. It's pieces of 70s clothing that made it through to '05 and are now endearing bits of the past instead of something in every man's wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads