• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

optician recommendation: fitting RX into Persol frames

Noah.Dreams

Reaction score
I would like to get progression lens in a Persol 2761 frame, however, I'm concerned about the weight. I'm assuming that switching from glass to a prescription lens will weigh considerably less. The Persol 2761 lens dimension are 60X16 which is a large lens. What types of progressive lens offer the best value with the least weight? I've visited several shops and they all recommend something different. My prescription is ...Sphere Add OD -3.25 +1.75 OS -3.25 +1.75
Persol-2761-S-24-57-14141.jpg

yodawg

Reaction score
curious to know what brand of lenses are available to you?

Septavius

Reaction score
Most prescription lenses today are made of plastic, and yes it is lighter than glass. The factor that most affects how thin a lens can get (and as lightweight as a result) is using a lens material that as is high index as possible. The second most factor is having the lens made into an aspheric shape. However, having both of these can drive up the cost quite a bit.

Polycarbonate is a high index lens material, though not the highest. Certain optical shops might have a trade name for it, but it would still generically be known as polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is the most commonly used of all high index materials, making it cheaper, widely available, and available in just about any lens design (i.e. bifocals, trifocals, progressives, etc).

Polycarbonate is extremely impact resistant, which also allows it to be thin. In the United States, lenses have to meet a standard for impact resistance, so lenses will be as thick as necessary to meet that standard. For polycarbonate, that's usually a 1.0 mm center thickness for minus lenses, though other high index lens materials can get down to 1.0 mm center thickness too. In other countries it may be possible to get even thinner lenses, as they may not require a standard for impact resistance.

Getting a lens to be made into an aspheric shape requires specific specialized machinery for the lens cutting process, which is why it drives up the cost, however it does allow for thinner lenses as well.

Hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads