• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on TOM FORD dress shoes ?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a matter of developing a last. Carmina and some of the others have lasts that already work for them and it’s what their customers want.

Think GM. The Escalade and Yukon are basically built on the same chassis. Can you imagine the costs associated with having to build a whole new chassis for just the Escalade?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s a matter of developing a last. Carmina and some of the others have lasts that already work for them and it’s what their customers want.

Think GM. The Escalade and Yukon are basically built on the same chassis. Can you imagine the costs associated with having to build a whole new chassis for just the Escalade?

True. But makers develop new lasts all the time. Why don’t they take advantage of their lower input costs to compete effectively against Cleverley and TF?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this ain't about just lasts......Carmina does not cater to the same aesthetic/customer as TF. When they decide to enter that segment, I'm sure they will create a last accordingly.

TF does everything over-the-top.......everything is pronounced and almost exaggerated, so to expect Carmina/TLB/anyone else to mimic TF would require a decision by them to intentionally produce such a shoe.

Who really cares anyway? Just buy TF if that's your thing.

RapFan

Reaction score
Why doesn't Brioni create a lighter less formal line of suits to take out Kiton? Why doesn't Kiton use more padding and stiffer silhouettes to poach from Tom Ford?

Because it's not who they are.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Q was less about style and more about technical skills. Meaning, how easy is it to create a last like that? All I know about the TF shoes is that they're made in Naples by the same maker as the Max Verre shoes.

AxleFoley

Reaction score
Important to note that I got a 25 % deal so gonna be 1800 CAD after taxes, I will look up your other brands, I'm just a fan of Tom ford because I like the belts a lot so was wondering if they make great shoes too ! Paolo Scafora looks great from what I can see !

Did you purchase the shoes? If so, how are they working out for you so far.

There's no question Tom Ford shoes are high quality and they'll certainly last 5-10 years. I've acquired several pairs over the last 11 years or so and haven't resoled any yet. I do take care of my shoes and I don't live in an area with a harsh climate. Just take care of them (rotate, shine and shoe trees) and they'll last.

The value question other forum members mentioned shouldn't be much of a factor given that most of the shoes they've mentioned have similar styles right around the same retail price point, at least in US$, (e.g. St.Crispins, John Lobb's). Although some are significantly cheaper (Carmina & G&G), but paying less than $1k US for a TF classic black cap-toe oxford isn't bad. Bespoke, which I've never done, shouldn't even enter the conversation given the current price point with the discount.

Carmina, G&G, Cleverley, EG, C&J, Silvano Sassetti, Stefano Bemer, Santoni, RLPL (the pairs I've liked were made by C&J, EG and Sassetti), and the aforementioned SC and JL all have nice shoes in similar models be it oxford, derby, loafer, monk, double monk or boot. But none of them offers the style of a Tom Ford shoe. So if you like TF style, go for it. Also, availability is key. I'm not sure what's available locally for the OP but ordering shoes online even assuming you've been fitted properly with the shoe can be problematic and without a proper fitting can be costly.

I bought a pair of boots from them once and found them to fit very narrow. I'm not sure if it was just that model or if TF shoes run narrow in general. If you purchase a pair, be sure to get them from a place that accepts returns.

The boots usually are generous in terms of width in the toe box. The first several years some TF shoes were pretty narrow. In particular the Gianni models with the stacked heel. They would force your foot forward into the narrow hard leather which posed problems for a lot of people. I had to have a pair widened at a local shoe shop. Problem solved! Sometime around 2011-2012 they fixed the narrowness issue. Shoes stamped with TT after the shoe size were roomier in the toe box. Later, maybe 2015-2017 the TT width became the standard for all of his shoes; however, the designation on the shoe changed back to a single T. So if you're ever buying second hand and it's a Gianni or Edward model it'll be tough to determine which fitting you're getting if it's a single T size. Best to make sure you can return them before buying.

Max Verre made TF shoes for the longest time, not sure about who does these days.

Some TF shoes were made by Sutor Mantellassi. Some shared styling with Max Verre so whoever made their shoes probably made TF’s as well. But now, I believe TF, (control freak) purchased his own shoe manufacturing company. So all or at least some of his shoes are made in house these days.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PSA for 'relatively cheap' Tom Ford shoes. Tom Ford Milan and UK is having a 50% off sale. Got these Elkan wholecuts for 620 Euros shipped.

They deduct VAT, and shipping is a flat 50 euros.

w1200_q80.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads