• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Pure Blue Japan Jeans?

scoon0224

Reaction score
Dex... why not check it out through a proxy?

(my Aihikos came out far cheaper than the $700 or so they charge in the US... though they still made me go denim-free for a full 10months...)

colin83

Reaction score
Question: if I'm usually a 31. Does anyone know what size I should grab in the 003's to make them fit like a 31 or do I just get my normal size?

corbu

Reaction score
I've had my 003s for about a month now and have to say that i'm extremely satisfied. I bought them without seeing them, and at first I was a bit put off about how slubby it was and how it looked as a one wash. These jeans are not striking in any way... i.e., not shiny (o/w) or flashy. The texture is kind of alot to swallow at first. It feels like jeans made out of indigo triscuits. However, they do soften up or I've just learned to ignore it. Hopefully the fuzz will wear itself off too.

For one month, I'm happy with the fading so far. I'd highly recommend a pair of slubby PBJs to anyone. They really are amazing.

Also, I sized down one and felt like I got a great fit. You'll have to see about your own measurements though.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by colin83
Question: if I'm usually a 31. Does anyone know what size I should grab in the 003's to make them fit like a 31 or do I just get my normal size?

I'd go to Blue in Greens website and compare the pre- and post-wash measurements to your own jeans.

Admiral Kelvinator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coulomb
i'm so tempted to pull the trigger on the ai-oo1's. i don't have any hand-dyed natural indigo jeans and i love the uneven, bumpy, and rough nature of the pbj's fabric. The only hesitation is the price
smile.gif

I bought the AI-001 over a year ago and they look almost exactly identical today. They fit me perfectly right off the rack and they have not stretched an inch since then. These jeans are like a tank, imo.

I believe the AI are also the slubbiest of the slub as far as PBJ goes. To be honest it put me off a bit at first, but I grew to like the texture more and more. The only downside I can think of with these is the weight. The denim is something like 18.5 oz, and I couldn't wear them all summer because of the heat. Also, the stitching PBJ uses is some of the thickest I've ever seen (think dental tape) and the fact that they use two different colors makes it stand out even further. I love 'em, but they're not for everyone.

soonami

Reaction score
I have tried on the PBJ-005 in a 34W (normal size for most me) and I felt like those were the best fitting pair of jeans I have ever tried on. I almost bought them but I was not sure how they would fade and if I could tolerate the slubbiness/density of the denim in the muggy east coast climate.

But now that winter is just around the corner I might be more easily swayed.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does the 005 have the weird crotch bulge problem?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I never had a problem with the crotch bulging out but merely being tight. It's fine now, but they've lost a bit of shape. I feel like a newb because i want to hot soak them to shrink em' up a bit (i've also lost a couple lbs. since i first started wearing them) but there is very little fading and they don't stink or anything. They're not that bad though.

I kind of want to have them tailored to be a bit slimmer below the knee though. They kind of billow a bit giving a bootcut look.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
does the 005 have the weird crotch bulge problem?

It certainly does for me. My only frustration with PBJs in general is that all their fits that I've tried on have had tight, uncomfortable crotches that bulge irregularly. Apparently the problem can be fixed, vis-a-vis a little cutting (according to THE LEGEND, just trim a bit off of the fly facing).

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my 005. Got them for the slubby denim but I once the Tokyo summer started I wasn't able to wear them at all. After the summer I initially wasn't very fond of the cut cause they're weren't as slim below the knee as I'd liked. I sized up one to 36 as I bought them in one wash and the waist is perfect. Now, I've been wearing them for a while again and loving the tones and the feel of the denim, so I'm ok with them not being so slim below the knee.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I never had a problem with the crotch bulging out but merely being tight. It's fine now, but they've lost a bit of shape. I feel like a newb because i want to hot soak them to shrink em' up a bit (i've also lost a couple lbs. since i first started wearing them) but there is very little fading and they don't stink or anything. They're not that bad though.

I kind of want to have them tailored to be a bit slimmer below the knee though. They kind of billow a bit giving a bootcut look.

Just soak 'em. They're not APCs, they hold their indigo very well.

erbs

Reaction score
I couldn't take the crotch bulge in my 003's so I had o sell them. The denim is wonderful and I love the contrast stitching, but I'm not a fan of the cuts.

munkyballz

Reaction score
I think PBJs products are overall very solid. I have the xx-005s and denim wise, personally I love the slubbiness and the denim itself feels rugged, thick, and well crafted. Indigo is nice, quite dark. Fit wise, I've rarely seen fit pics that are truly bad, which says something.

However, given that, there are a few drawbacks/neg's for some, if you want to call them that...

1) Tightness/very slim in the thighs
2) Rise and err...crotch "breathability"
3) Agree that below the knee, couldn't have hurt to be a bit more tapered/slimmer
4) Waist does stretch rather easily (relatively the thighs/legs...not so much)
5) Inseam post wash come out to ~33-34"; which for some, shorter than desired

Even given that, however; these are currently one of my all time fave pairs/cut of jeans...so they get my full recommendation.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i had the 005's at one point but like what a lot of guys are saying, they were just a bit too tight and a bit too low rise for my taste. to get them to not look so tight i had to sag them some, but then it looked like i was wearing women's jeans bc they were too low rise. i agree also with the weird crotch construction.

the slub was very pretty though - probably the only reason why i wanted to keep them. i had them way back when they still had the blue tab, but i like the embroidered leaf branding they have now - very classy touch imho

if pbj's don't work out, my replacement for a slim, straight leg, medium low rise jean was the Flathead 3001. the denim isn't as slubby but it has incredibly vertical fading, so you get the same look of textured denim (maybe not the same feel). they fade pretty nicely, even after multiple washing as seen in sidneylo's pair. here's what they can look like (i'm waiting it out so i can get a more contrasted fade like the third pair)

http://www.rockcandy.jp/f_jeans_fold..._used_top.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads