• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Not a stupid idea at all. One I would fully advocate.
2. I believe higher rise in the back is a relatively normal thing. I know it is for me.
3. Post pics is you're willing/able. For my money, a low rise is going to make you look bigger (and feel less comfortable) than a higher rise. I'm by no means big in the midsection, but higher rise pants definitely have a slimming effect in my estimation.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanging on a Sunday afternoon with the boys from Carlisle, @Murlsquirl, @jcmeyer, and a friend of his, who kindly took these photos. Star of the show is @Fishball's flannel version of the "Agnelli tweed." Before any comments about the back, please note that Edwin had just pinned it to nip the waist a bit. Trousers also need some adjustments, but this is coming along nicely. Looking forward to a second fitting in the fall.

full

full

full

Wow, it look great! I am glad you like the Fishball special run Agnelli flannel!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you have any trousers amongst this group. Those you are wearing look very much better than any RTW.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought i'd share this navy three-piece from Tailorable. Turned out great. The pants are not as narrow as they seem.

Paired with a pair of two-tone Saint Crispins, Tailorable shirt and Sartoria Corcos tie:

Presumably no back pockets in the trousers once again. If so, good choice.

DouglasE

Reaction score
Suit.jpg

Suit2.jpg

Finally the final fitting of my first bespoke suit from Sartoria Corcos. Not the best pictures, but I feel that the suit is going to be great. Finished this upcoming autumn, when Kotaro is visiting Stockholm. The shoes are Saint Crispin's 539 penny loafer and yes, I use to tuck my tie..

DSC_1450.jpg
Also first fitting of a new jacket with heavyweight flannel from Fox Flannel. Good fit overall being a first fitting, but the cloth made it look a bit too generous and boxy even though it is the same measurements as the suit. Will be slimmed down a bit.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After much, much, much consideration, I have finally chosen my next order... *drumroll*

fullsizerender-13-jpg.820566

Despite the appeal of a navy jacket, I have decided to go for a midnight blue tuxedo. The first fitting with Chris will be on August 10, so I will update the thread sometime after then.

I am getting married later this year, and, after considering the limited options available for a tuxedo, decided to #treatmyself.

Here are the details that Chris and I have discussed:

Dinner Jacket. Midnight Blue Barathea cloth for everything except for lapels. Black Satin peak lapels. Prefer for peak lapels to be on the wider side with some belly (but still proportionate). Single breasted. One button (covered). Ventless. Jetted hip pockets. Barchetta jacket pocket (i.e., normal pocket). Button hole with boutonniere loup. Bit more roping on the shoulder. 4 sleeve buttons.

Pants. Pleated. Normal side striping. No cuffs. Suspenders.

Vest. Currently working out the details.

This is undoubtedly an extravagance. But I am very excited.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell yes

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the correct place to post a question but I would think you would all be knowledgeable enough to know the answer.

I just had my first fitting for my first bespoke project with a local tailor. I'm a big guy and therefore always wear a low rise trouser. This always ends up running the risk of showing of a bit of the nefarious 'builder's crack', though it seems to be a problem that varies greatly from trouser to trouser. I noticed when I sat down that there was a little slippage, though for whatever reason I did not raise it with my tailor.

So anyhow my question is, is this something that can be fixed by design? like is it possible to ask my tailor to have a slightly higher rise in the back than the front (which looks fine) or is that a stupid idea? Or is the a way to reshape the seat of the pants to fix this?

Thanks in advance for the help. if there is a more appropriate forum for such a question please let me know.

Cheers

Not at all, a high rise is better.

Have you thought about having your trousers cut to be worn with braces? That would give a higher rise all round but the braces would prevent a little shirt showing. Far more comfortable to wear as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads