• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of admitting that I broke a “codified rule” of clothing (do I get a phone call? Will a lawyer be appointed for me? I spent all my money on this suit so I cannot afford my own!), I did provide “a reason”: I liked the cloth and wanted a suit in it.

Of course, you won't go in a jail, and we see all sort of "breakers" nowadays. You can wear what you like, but that cloth is not meant for a suit.

WhereNext

Reaction score
You got it all handled & in control.
In all honesty: yes, I do.
Having said that, it was reading these types of exchanges on SF and Ask Andy when I first started getting interested in clothes that were so important to me developing my sense of style. Years ago, I only thought of suits as plain grey and navy, or pinstripes (certainly not chalk stripes, what am I, a 1930s gangster?!) in those colors and anything in a pattern was a sports coat. Reading here helped me understand different patterns, different types of cloth, different styling cues, etc. to differentiate suits and sportcoats. So I appreciate the constructive advice from folks on this fabric, but also am reading this now from the point of view of already knowing I purposely “broke a rule”; kids/those starting your wardrobes, don’t try this at home.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally doing it and taking the bespoke plunge into getting a sports coat made by Pastena. This time I actually remembered to take a picture of the fabric.

IMG_4648.jpeg

WhereNext

Reaction score
on the topic of Shanghai, any recommendation of "menswear" type of thing to check out..., might got a day there
I live not far outside of Shanghai, but can’t help much. I was in The Refinery this weekend for the B&TAILOR trunk show and they had some interesting coat options (including MTM and MTO). A colleague of mine mentioned Icicle (I think that was the name), but have never been myself.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty: yes, I do.
Having said that, it was reading these types of exchanges on SF and Ask Andy when I first started getting interested in clothes that were so important to me developing my sense of style. Years ago, I only thought of suits as plain grey and navy, or pinstripes (certainly not chalk stripes, what am I, a 1930s gangster?!) in those colors and anything in a pattern was a sports coat. Reading here helped me understand different patterns, different types of cloth, different styling cues, etc. to differentiate suits and sportcoats. So I appreciate the constructive advice from folks on this fabric, but also am reading this now from the point of view of already knowing I purposely “broke a rule”; kids/those starting your wardrobes, don’t try this at home.
Okay, you got this. No need to ask anyone for permission to order a fabric. Youre a grown man capable of making your own decisions. I have complete faith in you. You should go to pitti and show off your suit. I remember early on, I wanted to do an electric blue suit. A tailor wouldn’t let me do it. So I went to a different tailor. That electric blue suit is a closet queen these days.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are meant to pair up with the green alligator loafers?

Also, nice selection on the houndstooth cloth it was on my bespoke wishlist when I first started.
Everything is meant to be paired up with the green suede gatorskin loafers. Right now they're with Nicholas getting adjusted. Once I get them back I'll start posting pictures of them.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything is meant to be paired up with the green suede gatorskin loafers. Right now they're with Nicholas getting adjusted. Once I get them back I'll start posting pictures of them.
Did you do loafers of chukka boots? Now I want a pair of alligator loafers.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see it given that I styled that fabric sample so many ways. I would prefer to see a green linen suit from pastena for those shoes. LETS GOOOO!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads