• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I love the western affectation on jackets but I'll be honest- it's a slight pet peeve of mine. Most of the people I see wearing them are doing it in a "hokey" way. i.e. most of the people I've seen wearing them are playing at "being western." I've encountered a number of people wearing the style without having ever been near a ranch, horse, cow, or spending pretty much any time outside a major city. /endrant

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the western affectation on jackets but I'll be honest- it's a slight pet peeve of mine. Most of the people I see wearing them are doing it in a "hokey" way. i.e. most of the people I've seen wearing them are playing at "being western." I've encountered a number of people wearing the style without having ever been near a ranch, horse, cow, or spending pretty much any time outside a major city. /endrant
This gentleman is authentic. Made him white tie/tail rig a few years ago. He wore western boots with it.
Never seen him wear a conventional shoe.

One of the more unique pieces we made was a western tuxedo. Western yoke on front and back. Crescent pockets.
This was for an attorney/rancher who identified more with the ranch than his law office.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Authentic Westerners:

jack_elam_miami_az_actor.jpg

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
This gentleman is authentic. Made him white tie/tail rig a few years ago. He wore western boots with it.

One of the more unique pieces we made was a western tuxedo. Western yoke on front and back. Crescent pockets.
This was for an attorney/rancher who identified more with the ranch than his law office.
Now that's really cool to hear about. I know a few attorneys like that. Even know several who quit law to go back to farming/ranching. Depending on where you go in Texas the "boots with suits" is very much standard practice.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different eras of Westerns. My example is of an "adult western"
which dates from to '50s and were generally grittier and more
"realistic" than the Cowboy Movies from the '30s and '40s
which I watched on TV in the '50s. My friends and I would watch
"Six Gun Play House" at 4PM after school at each others' houses
when NYC weather kept us in. We sometimes actually brought
our replica long barreled colts. But shooting caps was not permitted.
Later I moved on to a Daisy Red Rider BB Gun, and ultimately a
Pump Gun with which I hunted Chipmunks at our country house.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@comrade

totally understand and like the “grittier“ shows and movies. Surprised and sometimes shocked by the story lines and grit in these westerns.

The Maynard, Gibson, Steele movies are not even B movie caliber. C+ at best. Watch them for fun.

3 good western channels on cable

Enjoying the black & white era of Gunsmoke lately. They lost a lot when they changed to hour long episodes in color

one of my current favorites is on TV right now. “Along came Jones” with Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, Dan Duryea, William Demarest.
Not really a western, it’s entertaining, nothing more.

“Paladin, lone gun will travel“ is still good

Not familiar with the spaghetti westerns. Will delve into those at some point

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that's really cool to hear about. I know a few attorneys like that. Even know several who quit law to go back to farming/ranching. Depending on where you go in Texas the "boots with suits" is very much standard practice.
Had one attorney who insisted on wearing cuffs on his trousers with western boots. Never thought it looked right or got used to that look

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a colleague from Dallas that was that way. Multi generation Texan. Very well dressed, but (very nice) boots with his suits and even his black tie rig.

Cliffnopus

Reaction score
View attachment 1998299 View attachment 1998303 View attachment 1998301
View attachment 1998305

Had to make an overcoat before my tailor retires - I'm glad he agreed as he generally doesn't do coats unless it's a long time customer. Super happy with how it turned out! 100% cashmere
Love the Ulster style coat (actually Ulster collar). I have commissioned an Ulster myself and am looking forward to its completion. It's lots of fun specifying a commission like this. You coat looks great, enjoy. I almost went with those same "mailbox" style patch pockets, hmmmm...

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
@comrade

totally understand and like the “grittier“ shows and movies. Surprised and sometimes shocked by the story lines and grit in these westerns.

The Maynard, Gibson, Steele movies are not even B movie caliber. C+ at best. Watch them for fun.

Enjoying the black & white era of Gunsmoke lately. They lost a lot when they changed to hour long episodes in color

one of my current favorites is on TV right now. “Along came Jones” with Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, Dan Duryea, William Demarest.

If you have Sirius XM, there's a channel called Classic Radio (148). You wouldn't believe how great Gunsmoke was even before black and white, jumping through the air on the radio, with William Conrad as Matt Dillon. It arrives here in Maine on my cell phone, tucked under my pillow to fall asleep to on summer nights. When there's no Astro game on, also on Sirius XM. (Smashed the Rays tonight, 17 to 4.)

ddohnggo

Reaction score
Given the recent talk about Assisi, I can share some experience w/ their bespoke service thus far. I was in Seoul on a family trip and on a whim emailed them about meeting for a fitting (was still on the fence at the time).

Had to reschedule once but went to their atelier in itaewon and met w/ the director first and then was measured (they fit me in b/c I was in town but seems like there’s a few months wait for bespoke).

Talked through fabric options (landed on a charcoal trans-seasonal fabric) and rough idea of cut. Sarto came and measured me. Language wise, I think you can make do with English and it’ll be fine. My Korean is poor but my wife’s is very good so that helped.

A few days later (on the day I was flying back home) came back to the atelier before they opened to do a basted fitting. Took around 30 min or so. He even noticed that my legs aren’t 100% even due to a very very slight scoliosis.

I was told the suit delivery should be around September/October. I might order a few white shirts from them too as I asked them to take my shirt measurements too.

Their NYC trunk show is slated for December. I asked them a few more details about it at the time but they hadn’t nailed down the details (this was early July). I think they were trying to feel out demand.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have Sirius XM, there's a channel called Classic Radio (148). You wouldn't believe how great Gunsmoke was even before black and white, jumping through the air on the radio, with William Conrad as Matt Dillon. It arrives here in Maine on my cell phone, tucked under my pillow to fall asleep to on summer nights. When there's no Astro game on, also on Sirius XM. (Smashed the Rays tonight, 17 to 4.)
Greg Bell, channel 148👍
good to know someone else who is listening

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@comrade

I love spaghetti westerns. Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef, Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, jason Robards, Jack Elam, and even Claudia Cardinale !
The closest contemporary example of the genre, IMO, is Tarantino's The Hate-
ful Eight (2015) starring the inimitable Samuel L. Jackson.

Last edited:

clothingfun

Reaction score

@Despos

Hello sir and I hope you are well. I’m retired, but not as a lawyer. I have never been a client of yours either.

However, in regards to everything else you wrote…yep! You described me exceptionally well.

Just found your post “hitting home” so to speak. Thanks for making me smile.

Everyone have a great day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads