• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Closed the shop in Chicago. Lease was up and didn’t make sense to maintain a store front without working tailors. Worked together with 8 tailors and finishers since the mid 80’s and they all stopped working due to Illness, death and retirement. This happened over the last 2 years.
Making jackets myself and trying to keep up.

Used a temporary space to work from since June. Just moved into a permanent space in October. Multiple setbacks over the summer.
Priority this summer were clothes for special events like weddings and events that had been postponed and rescheduled.

I’m the tailor that 9thsympth and Flake are waiting on. Started finishing 9th’s jacket in October. Needs buttonholes and finishing. Don’t have a buttonhole maker and relying other tailors that are sharing their finishers with me but none of them are in the same city.
Flake has been waiting a very long time for a few things. A few other clients who post here are waiting as well.
Spent as much time doing alterations for existing clients this summer as time spent making new garments. About an even split of gaining and losing weight due to lifestyle changes due to covid.

potter AB

Reaction score
Well since there's no imminent/incipient bespoke project thread I'll post here. I've had my mind on getting a coat based off this one from an old blog post by David Taub for years. I recently got a new job and I'm at a place where this is feasible, so I want to get the process going.

I'm somewhat itinerant at the moment, which could be good or bad for the prospects of a bespoke project. I'm looking for recommendations of a US tailor that would to this well. It'll be most convenient for me in the Chicago, Twin Cities, Seattle, and potentially DC & NYC regions with a slight edge to Chicago. I've heard glowing things about Chris Despos but haven't seen his email for contact after a cursory google search.

Anyone with any particular recommendations?

FYI Davide Taub will be travelling to the US next week

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closed the shop in Chicago. Lease was up and didn’t make sense to maintain a store front without working tailors. Worked together with 8 tailors and finishers since the mid 80’s and they all stopped working due to Illness, death and retirement. This happened over the last 2 years.

Used a temporary space to work from since June. Just moved into a permanent space in October. Multiple setbacks over the summer.
Priority this summer were clothes for special events like weddings and events that had been postponed and rescheduled.

I’m the tailor that 9thsympth and Flake are waiting on. Started finishing 9th’s jacket in October. Needs buttonholes and finishing. Don’t have a buttonhole maker and relying other tailors that are sharing their finishers with me but none of them are in the same city.
Flake has been waiting a very long time for a few things. A few other clients who post here are waiting as well.
Spent as much time doing alterations for existing clients this summer as time spent making new garments. About an even split of gaining and losing weight due to lifestyle changes due to covid.
Your work is worth the wait.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For whatever it's worth, I love the honesty...and agree strongly with Flake's assessment.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
FYI Davide Taub will be travelling to the US next week

Do you know how to contact him to get on his books? Or what cities he'll be visiting? I searched and it seems what's reasonably current is instagram but I've been off that for a few years

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know how to contact him to get on his books? Or what cities he'll be visiting? I searched and it seems what's reasonably current is instagram but I've been off that for a few years
Google “Davide taub Gieves & hawkes” his Instagram should come up. Dm him or he has details there.
Edit: did it for you

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In progress picture for a new suit. Caccioppoli parthenope bunch 300GSM
View attachment 1696996
Got a couple pictures today along with my DHL tracking. Looking forward to seeing how this turned out doing it remotely.
56E60E29-6506-437D-83FF-65BAB9D94580.jpeg
C44E5D0A-290C-4F30-9864-26C7B6624819.jpeg

jimney

Reaction score
Well since there's no imminent/incipient bespoke project thread I'll post here. I've had my mind on getting a coat based off this one from an old blog post by David Taub for years. I recently got a new job and I'm at a place where this is feasible, so I want to get the process going.

I'm somewhat itinerant at the moment, which could be good or bad for the prospects of a bespoke project. I'm looking for recommendations of a US tailor that would to this well. It'll be most convenient for me in the Chicago, Twin Cities, Seattle, and potentially DC & NYC regions with a slight edge to Chicago. I've heard glowing things about Chris Despos but haven't seen his email for contact after a cursory google search.

Anyone with any particular recommendations?

I live in Chicago and went with Steed because they‘re here frequently enough. Had an appointment with Anderson and Sheppard but it got canceled when the borders took longer to open up than expected - they’re a bit more expensive.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered a DB length of the Hunter Green Fox City yesterday and 2 Rampley linings to match. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: I'm curious what people's thoughts on ticket pockets on DBs are? I feel like I see them on suits, but not as much on blazers? Opinions?

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
20211111_163141.jpg

Just had my forward fitting with I Sarti Italiani for this suit in Zegna 'Cashco'. Salvo really nailed the measurements and cutting, just needed a bit more room for my big butt.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered a DB length of the Hunter Green Fox City yesterday and 2 Rampley linings to match. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: I'm curious what people's thoughts on ticket pockets on DBs are? I feel like I see them on suits, but not as much on blazers? Opinions?
IMO - it gets too busy to my eye. I’m sure others would disagree but to me on a DB jacket a ticket pocket kind of seems jamed into it and the top button seems like it compacts the amount of vertical space available as opposed to a SB jacket and just crunches everything together.
BBDDE52A-0E2D-4294-8C0B-EC045D11B430.jpeg
2706940D-C2AF-4C07-8AEC-0244AB788552.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads