• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boggis

Reaction score
2. Stand naturally at the fittings. Sometimes guys throw their shoulders back and stand overly erect when in front of a mirror. If you do this, the coat will end up being fitted for a different posture.

This has been on my mind as I'm planning a new suit soon. This advice makes perfect sense, i.e. don't stand unnaturally. However like many desk workers my 'natural' posture is awful, I.e. rounded shoulders, forward head and pelvic tilt.
I know how to consciously correct this into good posture, and typically do this when I remember to, but often forget when preoccupied or distracted.

So when commissioning clothes, it strikes me that I'd rather have it cut for me standing correctly rather than standing with bad posture as this gives me more incentive to stand correctly as otherwise the collar/shoulders won't sit right.
Having it cut to match my bad posture seems like resigning myself to having a banana spine for the remainder of my time with the new suit.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you must have a full wardrobe immediately for work etc, one piece per season is the way to go. Just steadily replace one rtw piece each season with a bespoke one. Over time, your relationship with your tailor will get better, and both of you will better understand what works for you and what doesn't.

This makes sense for enthusiasts and people who view tailoring as part of their hobby. For a lot of guys, they just want a couple suits or jackets a few times a year to keep their wardrobes updated or to fit their size at the moment.

For my MTM company, the enthusiasts are usually more fun to work with, to a point. The guys who just want clothes are usually easier.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been on my mind as I'm planning a new suit soon. This advice makes perfect sense, i.e. don't stand unnaturally. However like many desk workers my 'natural' posture is awful, I.e. rounded shoulders, forward head and pelvic tilt.
I know how to consciously correct this into good posture, and typically do this when I remember to, but often forget when preoccupied or distracted.

So when commissioning clothes, it strikes me that I'd rather have it cut for me standing correctly rather than standing with bad posture as this gives me more incentive to stand correctly as otherwise the collar/shoulders won't sit right.
Having it cut to match my bad posture seems like resigning myself to having a banana spine for the remainder of my time with the new suit.

Stand how you stand. If you are affecting your posture in a way that is unnatural to you during your fittings, the outcome will be terrible and you might as well just buy off the rack. Tailoring shouldnt be aspirational, in that you shouldnt make things for a weight you hope to be, or a posture you hope to have. Never lie to your doctor, lawyer or tailor...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stand how you stand. If you are affecting your posture in a way that is unnatural to you during your fittings, the outcome will be terrible and you might as well just buy off the rack. Tailoring shouldnt be aspirational, in that you shouldnt make things for a weight you hope to be, or a posture you hope to have. Never lie to your doctor, lawyer or tailor...
Good thing you left off spouse on the list of people to never lie to.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a bad idea.

Willing yourself into "good" posture has a good likelihood of making things worse on your body. Ask me how I know.

It took me a good while to get rid of my own pelvic tilt. It involved lifting weights, visiting physical therapy for stretching and strengthening.

Forward neck and rounded shoulders is one battle I haven't won yet.

I would either accept your posture and get the commission, or start working on it and hold off on getting a new bespoke suit.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This ^
well cut suit minimizes the effects of posture issues.
Can camouflage irregularities by utilizing balance and proportions. That’s what tailoring adds to a garment over RTW.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bad idea, if for no other reason then never receiving your official #menswear ID. Can never be acquired whilst maintaining good posture.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know anything about physical or medical stuff, but I used to go to a physical therapist to improve my posture. My impression is similar to what @FlyingHorker describes above. It's not just about mindfulness, but about rebuilding certain parts of your body. You have to retrain your muscles so they're in a certain position when you're relaxed. Takes a bit of exercising, stretching, and even reorientating your lifestyle. I went for about a year, stopped, and then returned to my old office routines and lost what I had gained through physical therapy.

If you want to improve your posture, know it takes a bit of work. I agree with Despos that good tailoring helps hide some of these issues. I ultimately accepted that I'm just lazy.

Boggis

Reaction score
Great to get some different insights here, particularly from people in the trade. I can totally see why you don't want to be "aspirational" about your physique when commissioning clothes I.e. having a jacket cut for the traps you don't have and trousers cut for a waist circumference you wish you had.

However, I've been to a physiotherapist & the posture has been identified as contributory to the issues that took me there in the first place. It would seem a shame to have a piece cut for a stance I'm actively working to change. I appreciate though that's the exact same logic people use when they claim they're going to lose a few lbs and gain a bit of muscle and want the cloth cut accordingly...

Curious to understand more @FlyingHorker about the risks involved here. In terms of consciously correcting the posture, I mean engaging the glutes slightly, rotating the shoulders back gently and tucking the chin under. Not trying to stand ramrod straight with the chest pushed out as you often see when people try to over correct. I was on the same road with gym work, weights & stretching but COVID shutdown knocked my (at the time very decent) progress and I've not yet got back on the horse...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great to get some different insights here, particularly from people in the trade. I can totally see why you don't want to be "aspirational" about your physique when commissioning clothes I.e. having a jacket cut for the traps you don't have and trousers cut for a waist circumference you wish you had.

However, I've been to a physiotherapist & the posture has been identified as contributory to the issues that took me there in the first place. It would seem a shame to have a piece cut for a stance I'm actively working to change. I appreciate though that's the exact same logic people use when they claim they're going to lose a few lbs and gain a bit of muscle and want the cloth cut accordingly...

Curious to understand more @FlyingHorker about the risks involved here. In terms of consciously correcting the posture, I mean engaging the glutes slightly, rotating the shoulders back gently and tucking the chin under. Not trying to stand ramrod straight with the chest pushed out as you often see when people try to over correct. I was on the same road with gym work, weights & stretching but COVID shutdown knocked my (at the time very decent) progress and I've not yet got back on the horse...
Sounds to me like you're making an argument for postponing the commission until you've made the postural changes you're working on.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah good. Yes, I would stand ramrod straight and I ended up hyperextending my spine a lot of the time, and pushed out my gut, worsening my anterior pelvic tilt.

It sounds like you've good self-awareness though. Yes, posture is one factor from my understanding.

It's ok to fall off the horse, get back up and try again!

driving glove

Reaction score
It's ok to fall off the horse, get back up and try again!
[/QUOTE]

Strongly agree. I have had a slouch as long as I can remember, worsened by a sedentary career. Have recently taken up pilates as much as anything to regain some mobility, but am apparently
standing more erectly. Have not checked in with my tailor for the last two years but hope to next spring so will be interested if he sees a change.
Regardless, if you make the investment in beautiful clothes, it is a bonus if you move better.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're making an argument for postponing the commission until you've made the postural changes you're working on.
100% this. It’s also demanding an extreme amount from your tailor to accurately account for what your future self ought to measure up as. Fraught with risk, if nothing else

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How I sit when emailing my tailor for an appointment

4bkje8amisu61.png

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance