• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4r36

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad pictures. But here is my first DB jacket. Straight out of the box, so a bit wrinkled, but I really like how it turned out:

IMG_20200529_195332.jpg

IMG_20200529_194312.jpg

IMG_20200529_194344.jpg

Last edited:

4r36

Reaction score
Beautiful

Really appreciated. I wish I could say that I can take some credit for that, but the truth is that I owe it all to my tailor, who guides me in everything.

As a young PhD student, in theory I could not even afford bespoke tailoring. It is him who has made it possible for me to cultivate this passion.

Needless to say, the sentimental value of each of his jackets is priceless.

Last edited:

Toninno

Reaction score
Really appreciated. I wish I could say that I can take some credit for that, but the truth is that I owe it all to my tailor, who guides me in everything.

As I young PhD student, in theory I could not even afford bespoke tailoring. It is him who has made it possible for me to cultivate this passion.

Needless to say, the sentimental value of each of his jackets is priceless.
Charming charming charming. That’s what small tailors are all about. Put up better photos

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
John di Pietro called me last night to ask me to come to his shop for a fitting this afternoon. I'm not sure that this was entirely in alignment with Pennsylvania guidelines for the current crisis, but I was the only client whom he saw, the shop was formally closed and he was official there to get his mail.

He delivered one of the waistcoats that goes with a pair of trousers that he made me last winter and fitted another that's almost ready, but needs a few slight adjustments.

The 'main event' was a fitting of a blue velvet dinner jacket with midnight gabardine trousers that I had commissioned in February. (I had originally wanted them for a celebratory dinner in early May, but that didn't happen anyway) It's a ridiculous garment to have in this day and age, but it's flashy and stylish and idioscyncratic and that's just me all over. I chose the style from a set of vintage thirties fashion illustrations on the wall behind his counter.

Dinner Jacket in Process.JPG

All that really remains is to add the buttons, which will be covered, and gauntlet cuffs. The fit is a little loose, but I wanted it that way, since it's meant to be dressy, but comfortable... and I'll be eating dinner in it, so... look, it just needs to be roomy, ok?

Dinner Trousers in Process.JPG

The waistband of the trousers is finished in the same black velvet as the lapels of the jacket. There are nearly finished; all that remains is to finish the cuffs, which will be angled.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John di Pietro called me last night to ask me to come to his shop for a fitting this afternoon. I'm not sure that this was entirely in alignment with Pennsylvania guidelines for the current crisis, but I was the only client whom he saw, the shop was formally closed and he was official there to get his mail.

He delivered one of the waistcoats that goes with a pair of trousers that he made me last winter and fitted another that's almost ready, but needs a few slight adjustments.

The 'main event' was a fitting of a blue velvet dinner jacket with midnight gabardine trousers that I had commissioned in February. (I had originally wanted them for a celebratory dinner in early May, but that didn't happen anyway) It's a ridiculous garment to have in this day and age, but it's flashy and stylish and idioscyncratic and that's just me all over. I chose the style from a set of vintage thirties fashion illustrations on the wall behind his counter.

View attachment 1397949
All that really remains is to add the buttons, which will be covered, and gauntlet cuffs. The fit is a little loose, but I wanted it that way, since it's meant to be dressy, but comfortable... and I'll be eating dinner in it, so... look, it just needs to be roomy, ok?

The waistband of the trousers is finished in the same black velvet as the lapels of the jacket. There are nearly finished; all that remains is to finish the cuffs, which will be angled.

Love the detail of the jetted upper pocket. Never seen it before but looks really sophisticated.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
As an unconventional tribute to the quality of care that a good tailor can provide: John di Pietro has called me twice since we last saw one another yesterday to ask if I was doing well, which he did on account the rioting. (N.b. I am well, aside from being frustrated and depressed; there was some graffiti and damage to the bank branch on the first floor of my building. The three-alarm fire that burned through much of the night was two blocks over.)

Love the detail of the jetted upper pocket. Never seen it before but looks really sophisticated.

That's something that he suggested; we tried it on the dark green cashmere blend suit that he had made before this and thought that it would be appropriate for something like this. I think it's a nice way to sneak a little extra interest into the jacket.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Love it. I’m sweating just looking at it, as I find velvet too warm for me, but it’s got panache.

Toninno

Reaction score

View attachment 1397949

View attachment 1397950
Beautiful. A charming story. God Bless Old Tailors. I’d love to see this masterpiece on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads