• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a dark navy chalk stripe..its just a pain to commission one tux just for the event, not that i'm complaining too but the thought of not having another occasion to wear it again is making me think twice.
Don't wear a chalk stripe suit (or almost any striped suit for that matter) to a wedding. You're not going to a board meeting.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably just a me opinion but I find a tux more versatile than a chalkstripe suit...saying this as a owner of multiple tuxes in various forms and not a single chalkstripe suit...though I'm looking to fix the former 😅

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got a blacktie wedding coming up in December, will a 3piece chalk stripe suit suffice or its still preferred to make a tux for it?
If the dress code is black tie, the you should not wear a lounge suit. An ill fitting rented tux is better than a bespoke chalk stripe suit on an occasion like that.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the dress code is black tie, the you should not wear a lounge suit. An ill fitting rented tux is better than a bespoke chalk stripe suit on an occasion like that.
Strongly disagree here, particularly nowadays when nobody or their mother even knows what black tie means. You'll always look better in something that looks good on you than something that doesn't.

But @marcusngjm don't wear a chalk stripe suit lol. One assumes you have a more sober, plain (the usual boring charcoal, grey, navy) suit? That would suffice.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly disagree here, particularly nowadays when nobody or their mother even knows what black tie means. You'll always look better in something that looks good on you than something that doesn't.

But @marcusngjm don't wear a chalk stripe suit lol. One assumes you have a more sober, plain (the usual boring charcoal, grey, navy) suit? That would suffice.
OK, I get what you mean here. I was just thinking that an ill fitting rental tux would be better than being the only one on the wedding not wearing a black tie rig. If people in general don't give a **** about dress codes, then sure, go with a dark navy suit. (but then again what the **** is the point of dress codes then?)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I get what you mean here. I was just thinking that an ill fitting rental tux would be better than being the only one on the wedding not wearing a black tie rig. If people in general don't give a **** about dress codes, then sure, go with a dark navy suit. (but then again what the **** is the point of dress codes then?)
You don't have to convince me of the value of codes, of course (if anybody cares, it's us weirdos haha), and a proper tuxedo is certainly ideal. But, that being said, in today's climate where nobody really knows/cares, I'll always err on the side of looking good over looking sloppy to adhere to antiquated (speaking societally, to be clear) rules.

Hell, I suspect he may well receive MORE compliments with a chalk stripe. Bold is better to most!

Edit: you do of course run the risk you mention above, which would be quite embarrassing, but I would be STUNNED if every man (or woman, if so inclined) showed up to the event in proper/proper adjacent black tie.

Last edited:

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't have to convince me of the value of codes, of course (if anybody cares, it's us weirdos haha), and a proper tuxedo is certainly ideal. But, that being said, in today's climate where nobody really knows/cares, I'll always err on the side of looking good over looking sloppy to adhere to antiquated (speaking societally, to be clear) rules.

Hell, I suspect he may well receive MORE compliments with a chalk stripe. Bold is better to most!

Edit: you do of course run the risk you mention above, which would be quite embarrassing, but I would be STUNNED if every man (or woman, if so inclined) showed up to the event in proper/proper adjacent black tie.
Happeend to me two years ago on a black tie optional wedding. Who do you think got most complements, me wearing a Cavour suit or my friend in an HM black tie rig? 😅😅

Also sorry for going off topic and for photographing an actual photograph.

Attachments

• IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 283

marcusngjm

Reaction score
Thank you for all your feedback! I just assumed that a 3 piece chalk strip suit would be more formal than a normal 3 roll 2 sb navy or grey 2 piece 😂

I’ve come to a conclusion to commission one tux. I’m based in Singapore so prices aren’t out of the world crazy priced. With that being said theres so many styles of a tux to commission as well ha

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your feedback! I just assumed that a 3 piece chalk strip suit would be more formal than a normal 3 roll 2 sb navy or grey 2 piece 😂

I’ve come to a conclusion to commission one tux. I’m based in Singapore so prices aren’t out of the world crazy priced. With that being said theres so many styles of a tux to commission as well ha
I think these days a single breasted shawl collar 1 button is more versatile but you can never go wrong with a classic three piece peak lapel single breasted 1 button.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've got a blacktie wedding coming up in December, will a 3piece chalk stripe suit suffice or its still preferred to make a tux for it?

Another thing to consider, if it hasn’t been mentioned previously. Traditionally, chalk and pinstripes are reserved for day time wear only. Preferably, day time business.

However, as a man once said on this thread, f@ck the rules!!! 😂😂

Take it for what it’s worth.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Agree with Sreezy that chalk stripe is less good for eveningwear. If commissioning, I'd get a dark blue solid DB suit in a smoother suiting. Since in Singapore, you could make it a wool-linen blend. (Pure linen might be too casual for what you're seeking, though it is accepted for tropical black tie.) Wear it with a white shirt and a black bow tie at black tie events. It'll look just as good as a dinner jacket. This is what I've done. And you can wear it as elegant daywear, too. More warm-weather black tie ideas at GG.

For the commission, I'd check out the Singapore Tailors thread. People on the menswear fora used to speak well of Iris Tailor's work. Not sure where things stand with the city's bespoke and MTM offerings these days.

marcusngjm

Reaction score
decided to go ahead and commission a barathea black tux, SB peak lapel with Dylan & Son in Singapore! Have tried Iris before but her cut is not to my liking
Agree with Sreezy that chalk stripe is less good for eveningwear. If commissioning, I'd get a dark blue solid DB suit in a smoother suiting. Since in Singapore, you could make it a wool-linen blend. (Pure linen might be too casual for what you're seeking, though it is accepted for tropical black tie.) Wear it with a white shirt and a black bow tie at black tie events. It'll look just as good as a dinner jacket. This is what I've done. And you can wear it as elegant daywear, too. More warm-weather black tie ideas at GG.

For the commission, I'd check out the Singapore Tailors thread. People on the menswear fora used to speak well of Iris Tailor's work. Not sure where things stand with the city's bespoke and MTM offerings these days.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
decided to go ahead and commission a barathea black tux, SB peak lapel with Dylan & Son in Singapore! Have tried Iris before but her cut is not to my liking
Go for a mohair blend...the pure wool does not fare well in the humidity of SG

ZRH1

Reaction score
Go for a mohair blend...the pure wool does not fare well in the humidity of SG

what do you mean? I have only pure wool and have no issues in Singapore.

Also, I'd like to know the cloth shop in Ginza, as I like to shop my own. Why the secrecy about the tailor?

Thanks

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most wool baratheas are woven quite tight so it sticks to you when you sweat which is quite uncomfortable. I do not have that problem with mohair or a tropical high twist, but prefer mohair
what do you mean? I have only pure wool and have no issues in Singapore.

Also, I'd like to know the cloth shop in Ginza, as I like to shop my own. Why the secrecy about the tailor?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member