• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoemaker for the Rest of Your Life

Which Shoemaker?

• Allen Edmonds

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • Carmina

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Alden

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • Vass

Votes: 19 15.8%

• Total voters

sclemmons

Reaction score
John Lobb. Either 7000 last or Lopez. I like Alden and Edward Green, but Lobb is the next level of fit and comfort for me. 7000 does look strange with casual clothes, I admit.

baba-au-rhum

Reaction score
So I've been thinking a lot about brand loyalty lately, and wondering if that even exists anymore. But I thought it could be a fun experiment to ask if you had to only wear shoes from one shoemaker for the rest of your life (yes, cost is a factor), which would it be? If it's not listed, feel free to add a comment.
Hi,
Pardon me for asking, but why is JM Weston excluded from the list?
Marc

Rich T

Reaction score
Grant Stone 🔥. Affordable but also high quality. Many more casual styles. A great round toe last. Always changing up their offerings. Amazing customer service.
Agreed! The price is a good reason to check out Grant Stone, but their quality is on par with my Aldens, and much more consistent than Allen Edmonds (though I wish that wasn't true).

Rich T

Reaction score
This feels like a renaissance for handmade and hand finished shoes. There are some wonderful choices in the survey. I have also found wonderful shoes (especially boots) from Grant Stone, Viberg, Trickers, Oak Street and Parkhurst.

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
For me it would Edward Green. I know they cost a fortune compared to many other quality shoes I don’t want to kick off a discussion about value for money, but for me they have been by far the most comfortable quality shoes I have ever worn and they have held up beautifully over time. Ultimately I think the poll is difficult to answer, because it is more about fit than anything else and to get a representative picture, you‘d need to add quite a few more brands.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Those are your only choices?

Bespoke: Nick Templeman
Ready-to-wear and MTO: Edward Green
0389542E-FBC2-41A6-95A3-33ADB5D11978.gif

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since many folks are talking about sneakers, the only choice should be Antonio Meccariello.
He offers:
-Many price points (Hi to Low)
-High quality leathers
-Many available lasts
-Different construction options
-RTW & true Bespoke available
-Last modification available

Luscombe

Reaction score
Rancourt for the win.

Dress shoes, casual shoes, dress boots, casual boots, hand-sewn moccasins, sneakers. In fact, they made the sneaker boots for the 2022 Olympic team.
As a bonus, they will custom make almost any shoe in their line with any leathers they offer or if you want to supply your own leather, not to mention that their RLH soles are the most comfortable on the planet. I do have a couple in shell.

All of this is done at very affordable prices.
I find the fit superior to AE, they use similar lasts and even offer narrow widths.
While I appreciate all of the other makers, Rancourt is my preferred shoemaker. Yeah, I'm a fan

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones by a long shot. They offer a variety of styles, excellent quality and value.
I tend to agree, although I have about 20 pairs of shoes & only one pair is C & J. Most of my dress shoes are Church’s (older, on the legendary 73 last), and more casual shoes are Alden. But I can’t think of a single maker other than C & J that has quality offerings across as many categories, and at or near that price point and price/value level.

Jack3

Reaction score
OK, so starting over with zero shoes, can shop only from one brand. I think this would have to be Allen Edmonds, because of the very solid value that can reacquire all my work needs, but also pick up sneakers and smart casual, all at a very reasonable total ticket.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If people want variety, I think it would be hard to beat Ralph Lauren. You have work boots from RRL, dress shoes from Polo and Purple Label, moccasins made in Maine, etc. And while I don't love RL sneakers, I think they're better than sneakers from Allen Edmonds, Antonio Meccariello, and Berluti.

If we're just talking about CM aesthetics, I agree with Andy. My choice would be Templeman for bespoke and Edward Green for ready-to-wear. But I only wear suits and sport coats about half the week, and personally would need different brands to fill the rest of my wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom