• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I'm looking for some cheap striped socks, does anyone know a good place?

i think banana republic usually has a buy 4 pair for 25 bucks thing going on.

davo10375

Reaction score
More versatile:
- All black leather chucks
- Normal black/white colour way chucks

And low-top vs hi-top? What would say the advantages and disadvantages are? Main thing I'd wear with them are nudie grim tims...

Also what are you opinions on desert boots? Versatile or only useful for a select few outfits

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
More versatile:
- All black leather chucks
- Normal black/white colour way chucks

The normal black/white colorway would be far more understated, especially when you consider the dirtying of the white that will take place as your wear them. Leather has a sheen, which makes it more difficult to blend in with a larger variety of outfits.

And low-top vs hi-top? What would say the advantages and disadvantages are? Main thing I'd wear with them are nudie grim tims...

Hi-tops can be filled with water, which keeps the ankles cool. I do this during the summer, especially when it gets hot in the office-- a quick stroll to the water cooler does the trick. Just make sure you pour the water when you're at your desk, so that the coworkers don't notice. I tried doing the same thing with the lo-tops, but I made a big mess on the floor and became the office laughing stock in minutes.

Other than that, it's a matter of style. High tops will look, well, taller-- especially when a tapered pant like the grim tim breaks over them. I say go with it. They look nice.

Also what are you opinions on desert boots? Versatile or only useful for a select few outfits
They're rather versatile. There are pics floating around the WAYWT thread that feature Clarks worn with both tees and button-ups.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i have a few tshirts that i still like and wear but they are a bit billowy around the torso /waist area. i dont want to size down in size as it will narrow the shoulder.

would it be wise to go to the tailor and have darts put in to a tshirt? has anyone done this? to narrow out the torso and make the tshirts more slim fitting?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon
edit; Also what is the consensus here about jeans and tucking in dress shirts? I am almost always against untucked dress shirts, but tucking in dress shirts into jeans always looks... old man-ish and bulky around the mid-section.
I didn't see anyone answer this. The short version is, untucked is perfectly fine and sometimes preferable depending on the length of the shirt. Long dress shirts clearly meant for tucking look stupid untucked; something like Band of Outsiders, with a shorter hem that's at or a bit below belt-level, look great.

Fidodo

Reaction score
I have a vision of a jacket in my head but I'm not sure what style it would be or where to look for something like it. I want a very light material that's a little stiff so it wouldn't crumple, probably denim. I want it to have a high banded collar, almost like a clergy shirt. I also want it to have a slim, mod like fit and style to it. Basically it would be a standard denim jacket, but lighter than a normal one, with the high banded collar and a slim fit. Sleek is what I want to go for. I'm don't normally look for specific types of clothes so I don't know where I could start. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

davo10375

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
The normal black/white colorway would be far more understated, especially when you consider the dirtying of the white that will take place as your wear them. Leather has a sheen, which makes it more difficult to blend in with a larger variety of outfits.

Hi-tops can be filled with water, which keeps the ankles cool. I do this during the summer, especially when it gets hot in the office-- a quick stroll to the water cooler does the trick. Just make sure you pour the water when you're at your desk, so that the coworkers don't notice. I tried doing the same thing with the lo-tops, but I made a big mess on the floor and became the office laughing stock in minutes.

Other than that, it's a matter of style. High tops will look, well, taller-- especially when a tapered pant like the grim tim breaks over them. I say go with it. They look nice.

They're rather versatile. There are pics floating around the WAYWT thread that feature Clarks worn with both tees and button-ups.

Thanks,

I should of mentioned that i was going to get the black/white colourway chucks in leather also... I was thinking leather would a) last longer b) long nicer/noticably different.

Is there that much difference between the leather and canvas chucks in terms of aesthetic value?

efujobu

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying the NDG V neck vest from Hejfina. Can someone help me with the sizing on NDG. Are they true to size or do they run small?

Thanks.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fidodo
I have a vision of a jacket in my head but I'm not sure what style it would be or where to look for something like it. I want a very light material that's a little stiff so it wouldn't crumple, probably denim. I want it to have a high banded collar, almost like a clergy shirt. I also want it to have a slim, mod like fit and style to it. Basically it would be a standard denim jacket, but lighter than a normal one, with the high banded collar and a slim fit. Sleek is what I want to go for. I'm don't normally look for specific types of clothes so I don't know where I could start. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

Sounds like a cafe racer-type denim jacket?

Or maybe one of MJK's linen jackets?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't see this addressed elsewhere. Forgive me if this has been asked before but... can I wash my Topsiders in a "shrink to fit" kind of way, or to distress them a bit? I know J. Crew sells them pre-washed but I was wondering if I could do this successfully with a new pair. I own a fairly new pair of the classic brown/white. Fit is perfect, so I wouldn't want them to shrink too much.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do indeed shrink. I dumped mine in the hottest water I could get from tap.. and they shrank at least a half-size or so. They stretched back out fairly quickly of course.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So your results were good with this then, I take it. Did it make much difference in how broken-in they look?

zatarregaza

Reaction score
I'm looking for a moderately priced chisel-toe, lace-up, dress shoe. What brands might I try looking for? What online sources might I try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members