• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One issue causing Marvel fatigue beyond the number of films being made is the over use of the house style. The look and feel is often very similar. Sure there are exceptions, but not enough IMO.

I'd like to see DC move away from any type of house style. Let directors make movies that have the look and feel best suited for the characters themselves and the story the directors want to tell. Don't be afraid of diversity in this area. Audiences are smart and don't need standardized styles to remind them it's all taking place in the same universe.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm amazed the Marvel films have been as good as they've been, but that's a really good point. A big part of comics' appeal is just how different even the same characters can look from artist to artist, or what the tone of the storyline dictates. I'd really like to see this in the movies as well.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm amazed the Marvel films have been as good as they've been, but that's a really good point. A big part of comics' appeal is just how different even the same characters can look from artist to artist, or what the tone of the storyline dictates. I'd really like to see this in the movies as well.

Don't get me wrong. The "house style" was a brilliant move by the studio at first. No one had seen anything like this before. A connected universe of characters across multiple films. The house style helped audiences connect these dots and add a level of familiarity to everything.

The thing is, this is no longer needed. Audiences understand the basic concept of what a shared universe is. Now it's all just making everything look and feel the same.

Your point on comic is dead on for what I was getting at. A Squirrel Girl comic shouldn't share similar style and tone to a comic about Black Panther or The Punisher. This may be an extreme example, but it gets to the core about why house styles for shared movie universes about comic book characters isn't ultimately a good idea in the long run.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel marvel varies in feel from film to film, like Winter Soldier felt like a spy film than CBM and GoTG feels like Marvel Star Wars in a way. Those two (including the follow ups to those films) was unexpected and while you do know it's a Marvel film, it still looked and felt different (if that makes sense?).

But for the rest of the MCU, they are somewhat hindered by the producers and studio themselves, they have an outline of where the film goes and it's tone because you can really look at all the other films as a prequel to the eventual Avengers film of each phase. I think DC is more open to letting their directors do their thing, MoS and BvS, for better or worst, is a Snyder film through and through. WW is a Jenkins film, sure there are some slo-mo stylized fighting but it's pretty much the only thing connecting it to how Snyder films and not much else. I think Suicide Squad also felt like an Ayer film in a way but on a green screen. 3 of those 4 films just happens to be not the most critically acclaimed but they do feel like the director has more free reign to do what they want. Jenkins actually left Thor 2 because of "creative differences" along with Edgar Wright with AntMan.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure. Like I said, there are exceptions. Winter Soldier was the top one I thought of. GOTG? It was certainly different, but not THAT different. I'd say it was more of an evolution of the house style than anything that stood on it's own in that regard.

I mean the Marvel house style is a very real thing. They have been fairly open about that. As I said in my last post, it was a great move at first. It's just as time has gone by it's started to feel stale. I'm not the first to comment on this. My hope is once they finish the whole Infinity War thing the studio will be more open to letting films be their own thing.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're talking about and that is why as much as I want the XMen/F4 to return to Marvel, I prefer the diversity in the films being made, not to mention that other films will get pushed from being made because Disney can't have their Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and Live-Action-Adaptations films going against each other. Then there's also other studios franchises and tentpoles that's just going to eat up with each others box office.

In the end though I am just happy to see these characters on the big screen, even if some of them terribly adapted it's still a great time to be alive and to be a nerd.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope Black Panther doesn't suck.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Young Justice (all seasons) are all leaving Netflix in August.

If you guys haven't gotten around to watching them, definitely check those shows out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads