• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well let's hope so, trailer isn't really revealing that much so anything is possible i guess

write a review here when you see it :p

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

well let's hope so, trailer isn't really revealing that much so anything is possible i guess

write a review here when you see it :p

I've seen multiple people claim that the trailers don't give away nearly as much of the movie as people are assuming. There is supposed to be a lot more to it all then has been revealed.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No its a SJW fest.

Characters aren't the race or gender I'd like them to be, so I boycotting the movie.

Graemsay

Reaction score
Being in Australia, I got to see Rogue One before much of the rest of the world. So I can revel in my smugness for a few hours.

It's a good film, and I preferred it to The Force Awakens because it tried to do its own thing. It doesn't have all the tropes that the Star Wars saga adheres to, but still feels as though it's a part of the same universe.

In fact, the first half feels like an adaptation of a 2000AD comic strip: Weird aliens, a worn-down future, and the morality isn't as black and white as it is in the other Episodes.

The last part of the film feels more Star Wars, and probably has the biggest and best battle in the franchise.

The SJW Rebel characters were all good, and K2SO stole the show. Director Krennic is a different kind of villain to what we're used to, and he gets to rock an awesome cape.

Disappointments?

There are a lot of scenes in the trailers that didn't make it into the final cut, and I wanted to see how they played out. I'd love to see Edwards's version of the film, which I think would have played out a bit differently in the second half.

There's a CGI character that doesn't look quite real.

And a couple of shout outs to the other films feel a bit forced.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Ok, so, could you answer my questions before I watch this, please? I spoilered them, because they're quite suggestive.

Do all of the rebel characters die?

Is the CGI character you speak of Tarkin?

Are the Empire troops (AT-ATs and Stormtroopers) an actual threat here or cannonfodder that drops like flies (what the trailers suggested)?

Thanks!

Graemsay

Reaction score
Do all of the rebel characters die?

Let's just say it doesn't end well for them.

Actually Mon Mothma survives, and Bail Organa makes it into the next film, before having a run in with a certain Death Star...

Is the CGI character you speak of Tarkin?

Yes.

I'd have recast. Wayne Pygram had a cameo as Tarkin in Revenge of the Sith, and certainly got the cadaverous look down.

Are the Empire troops (AT-ATs and Stormtroopers) an actual threat here or cannonfodder that drops like flies (what the trailers suggested)?

The AT-ACTs do cause more trouble, and can take more abuse than the trailers suggest.

The Stormtroopers aren't as useless as in A New Hope.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rogue One was good.

Pretty much an action packed 2 hours of fun.

Vader in the end though was :slayer:

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rogue-one-lenticular.gif

Just back from this. Didn't have particular high hopes, so they weren't crushed, but they weren't surpassed either.

Of course, it's a tall order to expect the magic of watching Star wars as a 12 year old kid, but that's why I tried to go with realistic expectations. Upon first viewing of The Force Awakens, those emotions were stirred slightly, with this one, almost not (and upon recently rewatching The Force Awakens what magic had been there was gone).

Some random thoughts:

Saw this in 3D. Not my first choice, but a friend had free tickets. I didn't feel like the 3D added much, besides some murky and distractingly unfocused pictures (actually, I would prefer it if 3D just went away).

Everything is well designed, with a nicely lived-in feel. Appropriately much closer to the look of the OT than to the plasticky feel of the prequels.

There's actually quite a few cool visuals.

Some dialogue bugged me much more that it probably should. Specifically stuff using very modern language, which managed to take me slightly out of the illusion ('Really? Farming?', 'Praying? Seriously?' and 'The resistance? Really?' Stuff that I feel will date it - not that I expect to watch it much down the line, if ever again.

The droid (K?) was well written though, and had the best lines.

Final battle gets too long and tiring, though that admittedly tends to come with the territory.

Also near the end, it gets very computer gamey with 'go plug in this cable over there, then go to turn on this switch at that console, then pick up the thingy and plug it in, go to another console to flip another switch and finally back to push a button'.

CGI Tarkin looks plasticky, Leia looked good.

It was welcome to see Mads Mikkelsen's role be bigger than I expected (and fun to see that what he told me about his character when I met him about ½ a year ago was the real deal).

I missed the opening crawl and the Star Wars music.

This must be the SW movie where The Force is mentioned most often, yet the one with the least. Missed that too.

The characters didn't really made me invest in them, so when everybody dies in the end, I found I didn't really care.

Coolest bit was seeing Dart Vader cut a swath through some rebels.

I'll probably continue to watch these, but I don't think I'll be in a hurry to do so. Thankfully, the OT will always be there to turn to, for a quality Star wars fix.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rogue One was good.

Pretty much an action packed 2 hours of fun.

Vader in the end though was :slayer:

Agree. We saw it tonight and really enjoyed it.

I've been waiting for a Vader scene like that since I was seven. :slayer:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing ground breaking but I had a great time (except for the children behind me who wouldn't stop whispering and kicking my seat).

Saw it in 3d because that was the showing that had the bigger screen and fancier sound... Honestly it really detracted from the film. First, it was the Dolby 3d system which I had never used. I thought it was utter ****. It may be a technically superior system to Real3D, but not in practice. The glasses don't work well with eyeglasses, and the lenses are fairly small so they obnoxious impede the field of view. And because the glasses are washed and reused, none of the lenses are perfect. I grabbed a couple of pairs and even the best had annoying glare. The cheapo Real3D glasses never give my any of those issues.
Second, the 3d just didn't add anything, and there were too many scenes where a foreground item was blurred, which always feels jarring. Also hated the 3d effect on the on screen titles and credits.

So basically...I recommend 2D.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it this morning - thought it was extremely enjoyable, if a bit melancholy.

That Vader scene, ripping through the helmets, was ridiculously awesome.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just seen it, and imo it's the best Star Wars movie outside episodes IV-VI.

It certainly had some freshness and grittiness to it, that the franchise was missing and it was perhaps closest along with episode V to picturing what being a rebel scum means.

It lacked imo a bith of depth, the movie could use extra 10-15minutes of dialogues to reveal characters more so we care more for them.

I liked the fact that it tried to do something new compared to Ep VII and in fact it was better imo because of that. Ep VII was too repetitive and used too much old stuff. Here it was more Easter-eggish and more toned down.

No its a SJW fest.

Characters aren't the race or gender I'd like them to be, so I boycotting the movie.

you understand me so well :cheers:

ps.

I rooted for the Empire

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads