• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

True, that's probably the quickest way to kill them all. Force choking takes a minute, it seems.

I think Vader protracts it for effect; there's usually an audience. Piett with Ozzel, for example.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Vader protracts it for effect; there's usually an audience. Piett with Ozzel, for example.

That makes sense. It would be awesome/chilling to see him walk into a room and just snap the necks of everyone in there in a few seconds.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

That makes sense. It would be awesome/chilling to see him walk into a room and just snap the necks of everyone in there in a few seconds.

On second thought, he was a bit of a ***** entering Leia's ship after his storm troopers did all the dirty work.

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

On second thought, he was a bit of a ***** entering Leia's ship after his storm troopers did all the dirty work.

Are you kidding? Vader piddling around with infantry, low-life, cannon fodder, rebel scum? That's what he has those chumps in white for.

He's the secondary reigning Sith Lord over all galactic Imperial forces. To paraphrase, "Ain't no Jedi got time for that!"

brokencycle

Reaction score
Are you kidding? Vader piddling around with infantry, low-life, cannon fodder, rebel scum? That's what he has those chumps in white for.

He's the secondary reigning Sith Lord over all galactic Imperial forces. To paraphrase, "Ain't no Jedi got time for that!"

Did the galaxy know Palpatine was a Sith?

One of the funniest aspects of the whole canon to me is: stormtroopers are supposed to be these amazing soldiers - basically like SEALs/Delta/Green Berets/etc are to our military. Yet, they're basically canon fodder in the movies. I guess you can argue that the movies and books follow extraordinary rebels, but they do a great job quelling normal rebels.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One of the funniest aspects of the whole canon to me is: stormtroopers are supposed to be these amazing soldiers - basically like SEALs/Delta/Green Berets/etc are to our military.  Yet, they're basically canon fodder in the movies.  I guess you can argue that the movies and books follow extraordinary rebels, but they do a great job quelling normal rebels.

We kind of already covered this. ;)

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes - since we were talking Episode IV (where Vader boarded Leia's blockade runner), we're well past the events of III where Palpatine revealed himself as Darth Sidious. I'm thinking it's widely known that newly formed Empire having overthrown the Republic is his baby. Or did I screw up continuity somewhere?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Yes - since we were talking Episode IV (where Vader boarded Leia's blockade runner), we're well past the events of III where Palpatine revealed himself as Darth Sidious. I'm thinking it's widely known that newly formed Empire having overthrown the Republic is his baby. Or did I screw up continuity somewhere?

I don't know. I just wonder if the universe knew. He was obviously very secretive from the beginning, but did that veil come off to the universe in Episode 3 or just to a select group.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know.  I just wonder if the universe knew.  He was obviously very secretive from the beginning, but did that veil come off to the universe in Episode 3 or just to a select group.

Hmmm, interesting. I guess I'm not entirely sure, but the whole exchange between Leia and Vader when he boards her ship and she knows him by name, I'm thinking she's well aware of his back story and everyone else, at least at her royal/executive level, would be too. But I suppose it's plausible that the plebes on most of the rocks didn't know anything beyond Republic Gone, Empire Coming, irregardless of who was running it.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, interesting. I guess I'm not entirely sure, but the whole exchange between Leia and Vader when he boards her ship and she knows him by name, I'm thinking she's well aware of his back story and everyone else, at least at her royal/executive level, would be too. But I suppose it's plausible that the plebes on most of the rocks didn't know anything beyond Republic Gone, Empire Coming, irregardless of who was running it.

That is an interesting question. If Leia knew that Vader was Anakin Skywalker, why didn't she (or anyone else in the Rebellion) say anything when she met Luke? At the end of Episode III, when Vader steps up and stands at the bridge of the star destroyer alongside Palpatine, is it supposed to be understood that this shiny new guy is Anakin? Or was he just "that new enforcer for the Emperor"?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
The Empire still wasn't nearly as powerful at the start of Star Wars as it was.... in the middle of it.

Remember, that officer talking to Vader was worried about a PR disaster: "Holding her is dangerous. What if word gets out? It could generate sympathy for the rebellion in the senate."

And even Vader is trying to cover his trail: "Send out a distress signal. And then inform the Senate that all aboard were killed."

Then a few days later, Palpatine dissolves the Senate, the Death Star is activated and finally he Empire just don't give a ****.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Empire still wasn't nearly as powerful at the start of Star Wars as it was.... in the middle of it.

Remember, that officer talking to Vader was worried about a PR disaster: "Holding her is dangerous. What if word gets out? It could generate sympathy for the rebellion in the senate."

And even Vader is trying to cover his trail: "Send out a distress signal. And then inform the Senate that all aboard were killed."

Then a few days later, Palpatine dissolves the Senate, the Death Star is activated and finally he Empire just don't give a ****.

I wonder how that will play out in Rogue One--will the Empire still be getting its act together? Or will it seem a lot more powerful than perhaps it appeared in A New Hope?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is an interesting question. If Leia knew that Vader was Anakin Skywalker, why didn't she (or anyone else in the Rebellion) say anything when she met Luke?

Oh, no, sorry - I wasn't trying to imply she knew who the guy in the suit was, just that he's Palpatine's ass kicker and, I would think, that Palpatine had long ago dropped the whole Diplomat charade and gone bad guy.

But .... I think he's got a point here. I thought Palpatine had "gone public" at the end of III but clearly in IV the threads of the remaining Republic charade are still lingering.

Unfortunately, I think we're in murky retcon territory. Actually, I'm kinda surprised it still holds up to as much scrutiny as it does. Still, it's been fun to kick around!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads