• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything, I'd say that this conversation plays right into the movie's narrative. I think it was intentional that viewers would watch Rey and think "WTF?" and question how she could be capable to doing the things she does.

I've been thinking that she's sort of like a spacegoing Jason Bourne. She has lost her memory of who she is, but she still retains a lot of her skills and apparently some of her other talents are closer to the surface than others.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're right. I hate women.

Edit: Seriously though, don't you think this fight made Kylo seem lame? Darth Vader seemed unbeatable throughout the entire series. If your lead character beats your lead villain in the first film of a trilogy, it's not a great start. Episode VIII really should include a training montage showing Kylo learning how to be a better swordsman.

I don't think he's supposed to be the lead villain, or at least not yet. Seems like more of a growth story (IMO)

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think he's supposed to be the lead villain, or at least not yet. Seems like more of a growth story (IMO)

You're probably correct - his redemption is definitely going to happen, probably to team up against the real "big bad" whether that be Snoke or someone else.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're probably correct - his redemption is definitely going to happen, probably to team up against the real "big bad" whether that be Snoke or someone else.

Which brings up a point that has always sort of bugged me about the SW universe: how is it that a mass murderer gets to be "redeemed" by a couple of virtuous acts? Vader killed countless people but somehow turning on the Emperor and saving his son one afternoon made that all okay? Kylo murders his own father along with a bunch of helpless villagers, but we're all fully expecting him to somehow turn things around and maybe get Leia a Mother's Day card by this time next year. It's kind of troubling, really. It's like having Stalin do all his Stalin stuff and then save a puppy from drowning in a pond and all of a sudden he's everyone's hero.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Maybe Disney has a progressive agenda and a film like "Frozen" is really an allegory about coming out of the closet.

Or maybe in the case of Star Wars, it's simply smart marketing. Disney is just targeting its core audience, which has always been girls who they now hope will grow up and become lifetime fans of the franchise like boys of the 70s did.

Nailed it. I brought up this exact point a while back. Disney's simply trying to expand the market of a beloved franchise to more young girls so they grow up fans just like many young boys did with the OT.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still on opening night audience was 70% male, I doubt SW demographics will ever change in favour of women, it's the ultimate boy fantasy. Aliens also appeal more to men eventhough protagonist is female, it is still a very masculine movie in terms of showing bonds and relationship between characters(they are not very important, what counts is Ripley and Alien). What seems to be appealing to women/girls are movies that focus more on relationship aspect of the adventure see Harry Potter/Twilight. So they would have to totally change the approach to the film to get close to gender balance in viewership. That's seems to be general vibe I'm getting from my life long struggle to get my gfs to watch sci-fi with me. Not saying it's not what is behind Disney motivation, i just doubt it will be very effective.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You realize word of mouth hadn't got out by opening night right? Also how many of those males eventually took thier daughters to go see it?

Also SW already had a fairly large female fan base for a sci-fi franchise. So this is just helps increase it.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my gf and my friend took his, but they will not expand the market. People who buy merchandise and see movie multiple times are nerds like you and me. If TFA is an indicator of how the new trilogy will be, it will be still very male dominated. This structure of film caters mainly to male audience imo. SW didn't have fairly large female audience, very few women enjoy star wars as much as men do. It won't change that much if you just change sex of main character.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Children. Little girls are the big market for Disney to grow over time.

Do non of you have daughters or nieces? I couldn't be happier to eventually show the film to my niece. I'd enjoy seeing her to love the film and grow up with the franchise I did.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

I took my gf and my friend took his, but they will not expand the market. People who buy merchandise and see movie multiple times are nerds like you and me. If TFA is an indicator of how the new trilogy will be, it will be still very male dominated. This structure of film caters mainly to male audience imo.

They're not targeting your girlfriend.

They're targeting my 3-year-old daughter, who is hooked.

This is a long-term strategy by a company that built itself not just on the backs of Mickey and Pluto, but Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Mary Poppins.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads